Homemade Blood Bait????

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by iraqvet13f, Jan 31, 2008.

1. iraqvet13f

iraqvet13f New Member

State:
    NE Mississippi
    Anyone here ever make and use their own blood bait?

I have heard of others making this with chicken / beef / pork blood and clear jello mix.

Anyone ever try it? If so, would you care to share your recipe / strategy of how to use this.

Thank for taking a look.

2. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    No i havent but i would also like to know.

3. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I read somewhere, people would get beef or pork blood from the butcher shop and dry it like leather. I think they poured it on cloth or something and let it stand in the sun.

4. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    You can set it out and let it coagulate in the sun for day or two. As it thickens you can add cat tail hair or any thing tat will keep it thick. It makes like a punch bait , might even have a couple other things to it to make3 it thick enough. that is just a way I was told how to make it.:0a26:

5. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    to iraqvet first and thanks for what you do now we can talk bait kill a groundhog cut that groundhog in pieces but it in glass jar dig a hole in the ground about 3 feet deep keep the jar in the ground for 4 weeks then take it out it is the best bait for catfish by far the odr is bad but it works:smile2:

6. ronlyn239

ronlyn239 New Member

State:
    Bartlesvil
    A friend of mine used to make it for his trotlines. Don't remember exactly how he made it, although he told me how to do it.

He would have the butcher at a local meat processing shop catch the blood for him in a 5 gallon bucket. He would add a lot of salt to the bucket to dehydrate it, when it reached the desired stage, he'd cut it into chunks and bait up. Man, he was a trotlining fool. He caught more cats than anyone I know on trotlines, and never used anything but that blood bait.

One thing he stressed was that, under no circumstances, were you ever to disturb the blood by stirring. Once the blood was caught, it was never disturbed. The salt went on top. When it was done, it stayed on the hook very well.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    It is simple. Have the butcher shop save you the blood. Normally you have to providet he bucket. Keep it cool and allow it to set for a few hours to a day or so. You want the blood to conjeal. Once the blood has set, pour off the liquid - save it in another container if you want to pour it in the water as a chum. You should wind up with a glob thats anywheres from 4 to 6" thick. Use the back edge of a hacksaw blade (yeah, the one opposite the teeth) and slice this blob into layers about 1 to 2 inches thick. Separate the layers and cut them into individual pieces about 1 1/2" thick... actually you should come up with an almost square cube. Place this on the side of a cardboard box and lay in the son for a few hours. You can cover it with brown sugar if your wanting to be creative. You can't leave the blood exposed too long as it gets as hard as glass and will shatter when you try to put a hook in it. When you get to the fishing part, pull a chunk off the cardboard box and put it on the hook. You will notice that 5 sides of the cube are hard, one side - the one on the cardboard will be soft. The soft side allows blood to seep into the water. Used to do this in my early teens, but I do remember you can't cure the blood too long or it will get to hard and be ruined.