Homemade bite indicator

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by beeheck, Jun 6, 2007.

1. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I had this idea last year, made a few and tried them this spring and it worked just fine. Buy a tube of the glow sticks from Wolf Products and in the bottom of one end is a bag of connectors to let you make a circle out of the sticks around your foam bobber. Hot Glue the connector to the bottom of a prescription pill bottle and throw the cap away. Drill a small hole in the side of the pill bottle at the open end (away from the glued on connector) and tie a 6 foot long piece of string or monofilament line to the pill bottle through the hole you just drilled. I roll the string up around my finger and push it in the bottle for storage until needed.
    When your ready to fish at night activate a glow stick and push it into the connector on the end of the pill bottle and tie the end of the string to some thing that is secure but do not tie it to your pole, tie it to your rod holder. Throw your bait out and leave a little loose line, slip the pill bottle with the glow stick over the tip of your pole and just watch. When you get a bite the line will tighten up and pull the pill bottle off the end of your pole letting it fall to the ground or in the boat. A lot of movement that wakes you up and easy to see. Anyone needs pictures I could take some but it's super easy to make.

2. cubedweller

cubedweller New Member

State:
    MO
    That's a good design for a bite indicator, but don't try to use it on a 12 foot rod (without a step ladder at least). :lol:

3. BAMA_CAT

BAMA_CAT New Member

State:
    Boaz,ALABAMA
    I would like to see a pic or two!! Thanks for the post

4. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I would like to see picks also.

5. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    You bet, I'll try to get some tonight if the boss that I married doesn't have me doing something else more important, in her mind.

6. gcarlin

gcarlin New Member

State:
    Richmond ,Indiana
    SOUNDS LIKE A GREAT IDEA,I'LL BE TRYING THAT IDEA OUT SOON THANKS

7. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    OK, here goes with a couple pictures. Most likely have to get one of these youngsters to help me before we get done here.

One picture shows the fix'ns and one shows the knot in the hole in the pill bottle, one shows the glued on connector and the last one gives you an idea of not only how it sets on the pole but how to fish in a tomato patch.

3 pics on this one and there will be one last post with a last pic on it.

Attached Files:

8. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    one last one and as you can tell not much of a photographer.

Man they have this easy to upload pics.

Now you can see how when a fish bites it tightens up the line and pulls the pill bottle off the end of the pole letting it fall to the ground or in a boat. If you a have something under it to hit it makes noise when it falls.

Attached Files:

9. rich-online

rich-online New Member

State:
    California
    That looks great. Can you balance it so that it also falls if the line loosens? Sometimes, the fish will swim toward you.

-- Rich

10. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    I've never tried that but I guess you could loop the line going out to the water (after putting the bottle on the rod tip) around the pill bottle and it would pull it off.... I think. OK, now you've got me started.... if your fish are swimming towards you with the bait fish the other side of the water and they will be pulling away from you...... I know that was bad.... sorry.

11. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    I made one with a light stick. I glued a light stick to the other end of a cloths pin and hung it between the first eye(tip) and the seconde eye. let slack out so it dangles when you get a bite it comes up to the rod if he knocks slack in it it drops to the water. I got this from old trout fishing tricks but we used a bobber to do the same thing. Before you set the hook unclip the clothes pin from the line.