Homemade Bait?

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by OleWhiskers, May 8, 2009.

1. OleWhiskers

OleWhiskers New Member

State:
    Minster,Ohio
    I want to try my hand at homemade bait. My problem is i want to make something i can use on my circle hooks that wont fall off so easy. Ive had several ideas in my head about the ingredants with left over baits after a nights cating. So if anyone has any ideas on a good starting base let me know.:confused2:

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    You want a homemade bait that will stay on your hook? Here you go:
    Chitlings. Use the cheapest you can find. They'll probably be frozen, so thaw them out, then cut them into bait-sized pieces. Get a bunch of zip-lock bags and put half a pound or a pound into each bag. Then add your 'spices'. Use a different bag for each mix. I've had good luck putting garlic powder into one bag, anise into another and shrimp powder into another. (I used 3 shrimp flavor packets from Ramen noodles.) Salt, cheese powder (used to make cheese sauce), and fish oil should also work well. Actually, you're only limited by your imagination. This is not a 'magic' bait. Like any bait, sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't; sometimes it's the best bait you can use, and sometimes, even though it's catching fish, other baits will catch more. That's why you make up different smelling baits with it; sometimes one will work better than the others.

3. St.Croix_2010

St.Croix_2010 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    just go to a meat shop and get some livers, u can get some really good tough livers from a meat shop and just use that as your base...

4. springkitty

springkitty New Member

State:
    Fl
    I am doing the same thing you are doing, trying to make my own bait. In the process I have learned bait does not have to rot or stink to high heaven to attract catfish (or any other fish) I am having very good luck using several different "baits" I made. Let me share some of them with you. Put a tub of chicken livers in a strainer and drain all the blood into a bowl. Mix in a little all purpose flour, add a couple tablespoons salt. and a couple tablespoons of powered garlic, vanilia flavoring or not, add a little flour until it is a heavy dough and not sticky. Pinch off balls for your hooks.
    Add melted cheddar (or whatever) cheese to flour, use a couple of tablespoons Italian Dressing shook really good first, make a really thick dough w/salt and garlic powder or just garlic salt.
    The key to all your homemade baits is if it involves flour make sure the dough is not sticky, it wont stay on your hook if it is.
    Use your imagination. Not only will you catch catfish but any fish will bite if on the right hook. I am not hung up on any particular hook, I use fairly small hooks and the biggest thing is I make sure my dough is stiff enough to stay on my hook.
    Another thing I do is buy a pound of the fattest bacon I can, then I cut the white parts into "worms" I let these worms sit in very strong salt water in the fridge to toughen them for a few days. They can easily be snipped into for whatever size "worm" needed. I really love them for pan fishing.
    Edit: I left out something important: I catch fish with my baits. I am constantly experimenting and if I come up with anything new that works I will post it.
    kitty

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I once saw on an In-Fisherman episode where Doug Stange chunked up some carp and put it into a jar. He didn't add any spices to enhance the smell/flavor, but I heard if you put some garlic salt in and bury the jar full of carp chunks for a few days, dig it up and the channels will love you for it.:cool2:

6. Catfish-fever

Catfish-fever New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yeah, I have a magazine that has that method in it. Maybe I will dog it out and post it. It can be any kind of fish.... It is called sour fish.

7. springkitty

springkitty New Member

State:
    Fl
    I have fished since I was small, I am 66 now, through trial and error, also studying master fishermens valuable tips, I have learned that it is "scent" catfish go after. This doesnt mean bait actually has to be rotten or stink, it has to have a flavor that draws their attention, for instance, live (or cut ) bait fished for cats doesnt stink at all, neither does soft artificial baits, corn and so on. Anise, vanilla, strawberry koolaid or jello powder (among other flavors) are gobbled down by all sorts of fish.
    I have finally found a private pond I can fish in without the place being infested with turtles and the baits I made and posted about earlier work like a charm. None of it stink at all.
    As for the soap bait, I learned that the old fashion home made lye soap is the one the fish will bite but not turtles. Zote, which is very hard to find is made on this principal.
    And while a certain Company says it can be used on a rod and reel, sure it can if you want to just sit on the bank doing nothing all day long with your hook in the water, it is really a trot or bush line bait.
    But...for those who want their bait to be rotten and stink, happy stinking, lol!!!
    Kitty