Homemade bait buckets

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Sep 27, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i know alot of people use flow-trolls, plano bait buckets to keep your bait in good shape. here is what i use to keep bait, and it holds alot more than a flow-troll ever could. simply go to your local home depot or lowes and purchase 2 five-gallon buckets and one lid. take the wire handles off the buckets.. save the plastic handle that you hold, off of one bucket. take one bucket and drill numerous random holes all around the sides and in the bottom even. about the diameter as a flow-trolls, i like smaller ones though.. better for keeping minnows in so they can't get out. drill as many as you want. the more the better for aeriation purposes. drill holes in the lid as well. the solid bucket without holes is obviously the one for transporting water. the one with the holes goes in that one, and is the one you keep bait in.. with the lid on... place the buckets inside each other. get some small diameter rope, small enough to make a handle for each bucket, but small enough to run both rope handles through the small plastic handle for carrying you saved. you may have to make the holes that your wire handles went to slightly larger to tie the ends of the rope off of. by placing the buckets inside each other before cutting the length for your handles helps with deciding the length needed for each bucket to keep them together for carrying. the solid bucket will need a slighly longer rope handle than the bait bucket. i used small nylon rope, and burnt the ends so you could feed the rope through the plastic handle easier. you can also add some extra rope besides the carrying handles so you can throw the bait bucket out into the water or over the side of your boat. i know this sounds complicated, but is real simple. i will try to post a couple of pictures this evening to give a better idea to those interested...goodfishing, and goodluck..rollo

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Sounds like library material to me! :big_smile:
    Good ideas!!!

3. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    sort of the same idea i had but my becket is just an old minnow bucket that i drilled a bunch of holes. It dont take that much bait to fill it up too much. i need to get some 5 gal. buckets and make me one.

4. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have the same set up and it works great. You can get a lid for the standard 5gal (I got mine at Bass Pro) for a couple of dollars with a smaller opening door on it like most minnow buckets so you can get to your bait or toss in a bluegill easier.

5. odtimr

odtimr New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Been there done that also, works great. I do though strongly recommend that you size the buckets so that the darn things don't stick together like glue. I been there done that too. Luck

6. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    You got a pic we can see? I've thought of doing the same thing but haven't got around to it yet. Perhaps a good winter project.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    sorry jason, i got tied up last night. i will try to post a few pic.s to give a better idea as soon as i get time, hopefully tonight after work...rollo

8. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    here are a few pic.s of the buckets

Attached Files:

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    a few more of them together

Attached Files:

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i hope that helps give a better idea of what they are like. I will say i only use the two together for short distance transport. usually from the truck to the water, or from catching to the truck.. being the one five gal. sits slightly higher than the other, it doesn't allow for alot of water to be carried. i always have a big cooler with fresh cool water waiting in the back of the truck, which has an aerator system for long transport. But, this is ideal for the bank fisherman that wants to take alot of bait to there destination for the night, keeping the bait bucket in the river or lake or pond. lol.. you get the point. goodluck, hope it works well for you...rollo

11. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I've been keeping an eye out for a 6 or 7 gal bucket for bait but haven't found as of yet. Anyone know of anything like that?

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have another bait bucket. for you river rats that simply need a bucket full time to keep bait in. Take your bucket, buy a swimming pool noodle the kids like!!. wrap around the bucket near the top. cut to size, take plastic ties. drill as many holes as you want! even to the top of bucket, use the holes with the ties to secure the noodle around the bucket. this is ideal for those who have a cabin or fulltime spot with dock that want to keep bait. the advantage is the bucket stays upright .. so when you pull in late in the darkness the bucket is floating upright. with lid...visible. to put your baits back!!! :big_smile: rollo cheap bait keep !!!

13. avitem1949

avitem1949 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    For buckets you also can check with bakeries ( a good reason to go to a do-nut shop too!!) as a lot of their materials come in 3 to 5 gallon food grade plastic pails. The food grade pails may be better for bait life than hardware store plastic. I use them for wine making because they have no dangerous chemical residus on them.
    One of the new guys, Howard from Galloway, OH:confused2:

14. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    nice to meet a new bro. thanks for the insight. always looking for something different like that.. beats spending money! rollo

15. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    BAIT, that is the single most important aspect of flathead fishing. I can spend 1/3 to a half of my flathead fishing day just catching the right bait. You can have the most supreme spot for flats ever but you'll be hard pressed to catch any if you don't have good bait. We all know that they can be caught on live bait, cut, squashed, etc... But if you need healthy live baits and cannot get them from the catching spot to the fishing spot and still lively you have just wasted your time, and killed a mess of fish for no reason. So it would be in all our interests to find the best methods for keeping and transporting live baits. I have 2 Plano buckets with 50 to 80 1/2 in holes each drilled in the sides) Which I keep in 5 gallon buckets, with 2 to 3 aerators each depending on the heat, when I transport them from the lake or creek to home, then store them till I leave for the night. I always gather 2 or 3 extra 5gal buckets of water to take home so I can switch the bait into the fresh water every 3 hours. I have kept 30 gills in a 2 1/2 gallon plano inside the 5 gal. for more than 24 hours this way. I know they are overcrowded but if you keep them cool and dark and change the water you will be surprised at how long you can keep them lively. More than changing the water you must keep them aerated water second. So build you a good bucket like Rollo or invest in a keep tank for the garage. Either way you need the best conditioned bait you can get if you want to be consistent.