homemade bait buckets/cages

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by dinkbuster1, Jan 5, 2006.

1. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    does anyone have any custom made bait buckets or bait cages? any pics of them? i made about 8 buckets about 11 yrs ago for myself and freinds because there werent any big enough to hold more than a dozen bluegills. things are different nowdays. i'll take a pic of mine in a few and post it.

2. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    I'm in the process of converting an old cooler into a "bluegill tank," so to speak. It is large enough to hold as many bluegill as i'd need for a day of fishing.

3. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Yeah I made one....I'll post a pic of it sometime soon. :)

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ok heres one of my baitbuckets for when im bankfishing. this thing has held over 70 green sunfish at times and ive had some pretty big stuff in there including white bass and small carp. as you can see its a 5 gallon bucket, took a dremmel and cut out the lid,attached some hinges, a latch, and made a custom weight for the bottom so not only will the rear sink first but also its placed so the lid will be on top not on the bottom. with the lid on top you can reach in sometimes and get bait without pulling out of the water. also so the bucket doesnt get filled with dirt,sand,or gravel coming in through the edges. made a mold for the weights out of a block of wood. i left about 7 inches on the bottom hole free so it would retain some water when i pull it out. keeps most of the bait from poking or damaging each other. kinda works on the same principal as a flow/troll bucket. i got green buckets (free from burger king)so i can stash bait when i need to. blends in better than the white ones.

Attached Files:

• b1.jpg
      b1.jpg
      File size:
      165.1 KB
      Views:
    • b2.jpg
      b2.jpg
      File size:
      161.6 KB
      Views:
    • b3.jpg
      b3.jpg
      File size:
      80.5 KB
      Views:
  5. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    That's a pretty sweet setup you got there :) ! I'm going to need to make something similar to that!

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    Thats a better way then mine... usually i just have a 5 gallon bucket or my larger cooler with one or 2 aerators going in it they take a D cell w/ a second as a backup and works well... problem is carrying the bait w/ them...

At home when i get a bucketful and im not going fishing for a few days i have a big trashcan thats got an aerator hooked up to it and one of those bubble curtain things to put air in to the water... i line the can w/ a huge trash bag and leave the lid on so squirrels don't fall in and drown (had that happen before)... then i have my bait net there w/ it so i can just pull some out, put it into a seperate bucket and i don't have to carry the 240lb can to the river w/ the fish...

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    one other thing, if you look at the latch you might have trouble finding one. that latch used to take 4 bolts to mount but i took a bench grinder and ground about 1/2 of the flat spot off. i looked everywhere for a latch for this purpose but i wound up having to make one.

8. JMarrs328

JMarrs328 New Member

State:
    York/Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks for the info. I think i start making one of those tomorrow! :)

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That 5 gallon bucket setup looks great, I may have to make one, even if I dont fish live bait very often.

10. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    i took a 55 gallon plastic drum and took a sawsall and cut around the top and got a piece of ply wood cut it a half circle and added a 2/4 to side of the top of the drum on the outside drilled some holes and put two bolts threw it then added hinges to attach to the lid added a pad lock to the front to keep the lid from blowin open. then for the aerator i got a old bilge pump from a boat put it into the bottom of the drum runnin 1/2 inch pvc pipe to the top then put on a 90 and about 6 inches of more pipe glued on a cap and then took a hack saw and cut a small cut into the pipe so it would spray water down hard the pump was wired or a battery so it was portable for long trips worked for me i used to use a sein net on a small stock tank we had and filled the tank with 100s of small gills to bait my throw lines with

11. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Thats pretty nice dinkbuster! I tried to make one like that and cracked the lid trying to put too many holes in it and I gave up! After seeing yours I will have to give it another try! Thanks for posting that one!

12. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    remember if you go to burger king or some other fast food joint they will be more than glad to give them to you, including the lids. keeps their dumpsters from filling up so fast. theyre the buckets their pickles come in.

13. gargoil77

gargoil77 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Indiana
    James you think you can post any pics of your design? I've got 55gal drum and wanted to do something w/ it for several yrs now. Now I think I might fix me a setup like yours. I also don't fish with cut bait much but I might start trying.

14. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Some great ideas here. Dinkbuster1 your post is going in the library. James get some pics up and yours is too. Guys, there are plans for bait tanks and buckets of all kinds in the library. The first post at the top of the "Informative Member Posts" section is a table of contents. Check it out. Thanks.

15. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    will do bryan....think its still sitting in my dads shop ill have stop by and take a few pics for the library. very cheap way to make a bait tank that works and will keep bait alive for long periods of time

16. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If anybody in the Russellville, Arkansas area is looking for a 55 gallon plastic drum for bait, chum, or whatever, there's a guy on South New Hope road that sells them. I think I paid $7 each for the two I bought a year or so ago. If you don't know where the road is, it runs into Hwy 7 just north of the river; there's a traffic light there.

17. fat_fish55

fat_fish55 New Member

State:
    illinois
    cool ideas guys ,
    would that last cage one work off the side of a boat?

18. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    might just have to make one of those wire cages for "stashing" purposes. thanx

19. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Jamey, post some dimensions and I'll get this in the library. Great looking cage, thanks for sharing.

20. Leakyboat

Leakyboat New Member

Man,ya'll guys are going to have me making fishing stuff for the next year.They are all some good ideas.
    Ernie