homeade smoker drum

Discussion in 'Camping Talk' started by JERMSQUIRM, Oct 1, 2008.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    heres a project ive been working on. its a 55 gallon drum. it will be and almost is a smoker now.first thing that done is a burn out. to burn and remove any polutants inside of the barrell. you can use a drum lid but to add space i am using a salvaged old weber kettle lid. a lil modification and rolling of the metal was needed to make it fit.

i used some fork horn deer antlers my friend left me to make a jackalope i never got to do. and a fresh coat of high heat muffler paint.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i then pressure washed the drum. we still are gonna sandblast inside of it before i season and use.

then i added a rack from an old gas grill. and axle and tires to make it mobile.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i added some 2" thick oak boards and a couple shelf brackets to make a table on it. for digital thermometers beer ect... :big_smile: stained them last night. added some hooks to the front of them for hanging grill tools.

they have to be pretty sealed. i added some 2 part epoxy to axles for air tight seal.

4. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    I've heard of trash can punch, but never trash can bbq!!!!!lol j.k looks good buddy

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    there are three levels for grates in this one. made the holders from simply bolting stainless bolts through the side. i need two more replacement graates yet. havent got them.

air intakes at bottom. theres 4 of these around the bottom. its a ss bolt with a spring and some flat steel to cover holes. they have to have very sensitive air adjustments as not to burn hotter and 250-300. this allowes it to cook for upwards of 10 hrs on 9 lbs f charcoals in one fill.

the fire box is a salvadged grill grate with a box made of expanded metal lath. this will be mounted 3" off the bottom inside to hold coals.

i still have to put a water pan in this too.

6. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    this is where it sits now. has three hooks under rack for mopping brushes. and beercan chicken holder hooks under the table. oh and installed a thermometer on lid to manage temps. soon there will be some pics of the grub from this. in 5 weeks we (on another forum) are having a buildoff. we get 5 weeks and $100 budget to build one in 7 days with rules and restrictions and cook food that weekend. then there will be member judgeing. so i have to finish this and build another.:angry:

even put a brass frog on the lid.:roll_eyes:

7. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    Jeremy I should know better than look at your threads before Ive ate supper.
    Nice work man!
    Gotta go cook now......:dribble:
    Thanks for all the pics.

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    these are more popular than most know.

[youtubevid]ejpbwAXdKf0[/youtubevid]

they call them a UDS. ugly drum smoker. but i want it eye pleasing as well.

so far this one was free. all the parts i either had or salvadged from other broken grills. my buddie got me the ss bolts at work and the 3 cans of high heat paint. i got $4 in the shelf brackets and $.94 in the hooks.

9. porboy

porboy New Member

State:
    TX Panhand
    Super post. I know you will be in the running for first. Good luck.

10. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Man that looks sweet!!!!! I think you could sell them online for a million bucks

11. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    here a better pic outside. thanks fellas.

[​IMG]

12. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks Jeremy. Got my wheels turnin.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thats a sharp lookin grill,Jeremy. It looks like a brinkman on steroids.:cool2:

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thats fine. as long as my meat aint.:big_smile:

hoping to smoke some brisket and rabbit this weekend. buddies girlfriend is making some pecan yum yums. yams and pecans with marshmallows ect.. there awesome. and chocolate eclaire pie.

im the meat man.:cool2:

15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    That looks good Jeremy. Thanks for sharing. I'll PM you my addy and you can send it to me to try out...:roll_eyes::wink::smile2:

16. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Jeremy, That looks real good I hope it cooks as good as it looks , good luck in you contest

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv

i know a guy who had 9 of them. if there built right they cook better and more efficient than manufactured ones.

thanks.

18. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    You posted this right on time Jeremy, Salmon are running in the creeks and I was thinking of making some type of smoker. i

19. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Nice looking smoker there. To bad I live in an apartment. Gotta use the community one here. :sad2:

20. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    just make it like the one in the video and tell em your having a balcony canp fire in the barrell for safety.:big_smile:

look at this deal.

[​IMG]

ya. briskets for $1.30 lb. one was $20+ and one was $19+ and got them for the yellow sticker price. one is 12.10 and one is 11.30lb.