homeade ice cream anyone?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by JERMSQUIRM, Oct 1, 2009.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    anyone else make old fashoned ice cream in the bucket with ice?

my grandparents made it years back old crank bucket. i have been on the lookout for one for some time to re live the treat. well just last week i found what i was looking for. i didnt want a $20 junk wal mart chinese re make.

found this at garage sale. its one of the old ones but is electric. and has auto shut off when the ice cream becomes stiff. it was from a target store. back when the price tag was stuck on by an employee at the store. the box is there and all. $3 was what i paid at the sale. me and my youngest tried it out last week with plain old vanilla. worked awesome. made 1/2 gallon.

quart of 1/2 and 1/2. quart of heavy cream. 1 tsp van extract. 2 bags ice and 1 1/2 cup salt.

even had candy sprinkles for it. next time were gonna spice it up with mint or choc chips ect....

HUM?????? jalapeno ice cream. think i can pull that off too.

i wanted to make it while we camp in the hot summer and family cook outs. i like doing things the real way. heck with the drives to DQ while camping. well i didnt do that we did without ice cream. but now we all can make it fresh. the way it should be.:wink:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Been a while since I made any myself Jerm. It looks like your quality control manager gave it the seal of approval.:wink:

3. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    Quite a few years ago I got an ice cream maker, trouble is we seldom use it. My boys like ice cream, but just don't use it. When I was a kid we made it, with a hand crank mixer. There was my dad and the 4 oldest to crank it, sure tasted good.

4. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    Oh yeah, haven't had any of the good old stuff in years...sounds great

5. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    That sounds like a good idea.....:roll_eyes: think I'll go check in the frige and see if we have some "store bought".......

I haven't made some since the kids were...back 15yrs or so... got the ole crank one in the gar.... i'm sure its rusted through....LOL

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jeremy that brings back tasty memories. We used to make it all the time. We had a wood White Mountain maker. When the wife and I became diabetics, and quit using it, I can no longer find it. The little one in the pics is sure enjoying it.

7. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    maybe if things work out and i either find a new job or work picks up and im able to make it to catstock next year ill bring her.:wink:

we made choc this week.

8. steveg442

steveg442 New Member

State:
    missouri
    when my son was in scouts, i had him make it in coffee cans on a camp out for dessert for his patrol. you put the ingredients in a small one pound can and duct tape it closed. stick inside a three pound can and fill the void with rock salt and ice. put the lid on and duct tape it closed. roll it on the ground for about 20 to 25 minutes. open it up and dessert it ready. the boys had a blast making their own ice cream.

9. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

"Kick the Can Ice-Cream"! I have the recipe around here somewhere, from back in the teacher assistant days.

But what I REALLY wish I had is my grandaddy's big "freezer". I think it made a couple gallons. The little girls got to crank until they couldn't anymore, and then sit on top of the newspapers while Dad or Grandaddy did it. The exterior bucket was made of wood and painted a turquoise color.

That thing was used every year on July 4th for I don't know how long.....until it wore out I guess, since it isn't around anymore.

Thanks for the memories Jeremy.

10. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    I like the way you think. I have a very old one. I have never turned it on. But I also have one of those cheap jobs from wal-mart. It does make pretty good ice cream though. Just hate supporting the commies. If you do make some jalepeno ice cream, send me the recipe.