Homeade fishing pole.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by tomcat85, Sep 10, 2006.

1. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    ive been thinking about doing this for awhile, but i have no idea. does anyone know how to do this cheaply? if even if its not cheap id like to know how! lol

2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Why do you want to make a homeade fishing pole?

3. Sentry Dog Man

Sentry Dog Man New Member

State:
    TN
    If you are serious about wanting to build your own rods, for whatever reason. You might talk to Gator, one of the BOC sponsors. He might lead you in the right direction and be able to answer a lot of your questions.

4. shuorc

shuorc New Member

State:
    fl
    It's a lot of fun, go to your library and get a book about it and redo one of your old ones before buying all the parts and stuff or go to a local who does it, for a few tips. After making a few myself i now really appreciate a well made rod when i find one. Wrap double diamonds and have some fun.--shu

5. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dear Brother Souzer;
    Hi Tom! :smile2:
    Call Cabela's and get their tackle catalog. Go to this website and get their free catalog. http://shop.mudhole.com/
    Then use your computer to find the websites and locations of the hundreds of other tackle suppliers and see for yourself how much you will need to spend for what you want. You might be surprised one way or another.
    I believe that many of today's "custom made" rods are much more expensive than a comparable well made factory rod.
    A custom rod can be a "vanity" thing if you only want to pick out the colors on the rod and things such as that which will I guess you would say "individualize" a persons rod.
    I think most folks, me included, would be hard pressed to use all the performance that is available in todays well made factory rods.
    But, there is nothing wrong with building your own either! I think it all depends on just what exactly your expecting out of a rod??? And that is a question that is best answered by the individual him, or herself.
    It makes an interesting hobby for some but like most things nowadays, it can get real expensive real quick! You have to decide what your time and your money are worth. Now I know that sounds like a conflicting statement but if you think about it, you really do put a "price" on your money too!
    Like I said, there are hundreds of suppliers out there, you just have to decide how much time and money you want to put into this "project" your thinking about.
    Hope this helps you out some.
    Fraternally and Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[End of Post]]]]]

6. matt_k_a

matt_k_a New Member

State:
    texas
    pole or rod?????

7. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    either. i guess i thought it would be fun to do. so i might look into it some more if it doesnt cost me an arm and leg lol.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I've built a couple, but its been years. Some of the stuff needed to build a rod can be made cheaply, such as the cradles that hold the rod while you wind the thread around the guides and decorative areas. There is a lot of information on rod building on the internet. How much it costs depends on the cost of the blank, the guides, and the reel seat. Rod winding thread isn't too much. When I built mine, I used two part epoxy in the double syringe to coat the thread. But, that was a long time ago. Rod building is not difficult, but does take some time and patience. With that in mind, most can build a decent rod, but an excellent rod is the work of a craftsman.

If you mainly fish with Ugly Sticks, and want to build a rod for that kind of money, forget it. You cannot do it. Commercial rodmakers save money through mass buying and mass production. Shakespeare saves even more by havng the rods built in China. The reasons for building a rod yourself include that you enjoy that kind of thing,want the experiecience, and/or have specific things in mind you want the rod to do. Vanity also plays a role.

9. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Fletcher is correct about the Shakespeare Ugly Stiks being the "Best Bang For The Buck"! :smile2: I have two of them and will most likely add another one or two by spring of next year. Although I have not caught any 100 lb plus Trophy Cat yet, I have managed to catch some "trophy sized" Logs and Concrete Blocks and so far, I've not broken a rod yet! Broken a lot of line, straightened out a lot of hooks, but not the rods!
    I'm confident that with at least one of these two rods if I was to be fortunate enough to get a Blue "BIGGUNN" that if I did my part and not do anything stupid [ like tighten down the drag when I need to loosen it up a bit or other such stupidity], that my Ugly Stik and my Penn 9500SS will be up to the task of bringing "Big Blue" in for some photo shots sitting on my lap before I put him/her back in the water!:big_smile:
    I've seen a lot of posts from other Brothers and Sisters that use the "Ugly Stiks" in their various designs and I've yet to see anyone that uses one say anything bad about them! To me, coming from such august BOC Members that says a lot because there are many, many, of them that have a lot more "Big Cat" experience than I do which is why I ask questions myself on the various parts of the subject, or sport, of trophy Catfishing!:smile2:
    I also agree that building a Rod for yourself is, as I mentioned in my previous post, something that you do for yourself after deciding for yourself how much your time and money is worth to YOU. :smile2:
    Hope this helps a bit more.
    Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[[End of Post]]]]]

10. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    thanks for all the tips brothers. i just bought a shakespear tiger cast i really like it. i might still make a rod but im going to deeply look into it before i do!

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    I'll have to own up to saying a few bad things about Ugly Sticks. I find then not to be very sensitive and have had the guide inserts in the tip pop out. Wqlly World did take the rod back. On the other hand, they are tough, have the backbone needed to pull a big cat out of bad structure, and are inexpensive. I use an ugly stick on my spinning rod and intend to buy an Abu 6500C3 either this or next year. I'll be looking at which Ugly Stick I want for that reel as I've not found another rod that meets my needs. One of these days, though, I plan on taking a 9.5 ft 10 to 12 wt flyrod blank and building a catfishing rod just for fun.