homeade caniadian bacon

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by JERMSQUIRM, Feb 3, 2009.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    this is a great way to make and cure bacon at home. this would be awesome on pizza or for breakfast or anytime. im getting ready to make another one as soon as the loin thaws.

you need cure of some kind. i used cure i get from a game processor for making my sausages and jerky. or you can use morton tender quick available at your grocer. sugar and maple syrup.

for 1/2 loin use one cup of sugar and 1 cup maple syrup and follow cure instructions for proper poundage. double the sugar and syrup for a whole loin. place in a plastic bag or vaccum seal as i did. allow 2 weeks 14 days in the fridge for cure to penatrate fully.

then cook meat. i used a smoker to do mine. cook till internal temp is 165.

slice as thick as you want and enjoy. this was the best caniadian bacon i ever ate.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    this is the cured bacon smoking. i smoked two hams i had cured with it too. one was a pork ham and one venison ham.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i fried some up after it was done to make a breakfast sammy. it was very good. it tasted like canaiadian bacon but better than store bought. of course this is cats "AKA chilihead" were talking about here though. had to have a lil tabasco on the egg.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I have done some like that and enjoy it .
    Pete

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    got one curing now. post some pics in a couple weeks when its cured and smoked.