Home Security.

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by AwShucks, Feb 15, 2007.

1. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Ever heard of "bumping a lock". It is the latest rage for home burglers. It can be prevented for about $140.00 per exterior lock to your house/garage. Here is some information on the technique....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lock_bumping

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Nope. Bumped alot of things, but never a lock. Thanks for the info. Info on preventing lock bumping of coarse.LOL!

3. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Lawrence, I came across that while back on the internet. Also there is plenty instructions on the web for crooks to buy or build bumping keys. One can be make in about half hour with a file.

I'm looking at changing my locks out, you can't buy the high security locks at Lowes or Home Depot. It's either use locksmiths or order online. I'll probably order online.

Locksmith's say that technique has been around for years but it wasn't so known about by the general public until it got on the web.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Lawrence thanks for sharing. Looks like I need to make some security changes. :roll_eyes:

5. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    Thanks, watched it on the local news, scary stuff.

6. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    heck i dont see the need to change the lock myself. heck all they got to do is pick up a rock and walk in the window. man hasnt never made anything man cannot get in or out of. if they come here the lock is not going to be the problem anyways.

7. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I believe the big deal is if they gain entrance via a large rock/broken window it does show forced entry. If they bump the lock, they gain access, get what they want, and then lock the door behind them. No forced entry - leads to the possibility of the home owner wanting to file a bogus insurance claim. It is better to buy the new locks. This process has been around for decades, but now it has made its way to the internet and to the enterprising crack heads that are in our society. Nothing beats a good shotgun, but you have to be there with it when its needed.

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks for the heads up Lawrence

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    If I felt like that I wouldn't even lock my door. Yeah, they could break a window or kick in a door but that noise will probably give me time to grab my loaded Glock.

The few dollars spent on high security locks could possible save my life or my wife's life.

10. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    hey thats why i dont live in the city but if you think that locks going to save your life then go for. as for the insurance companies well they the biggest crooks anyway. look at the folks in new orleans. the way i see it if they want in, they going to come in, reguardless out what kind of lock you have on a door. heck my truck was broke into a few years ago while i was fishing. they started at the lock with a screwdriver and then decided to just knock the glass out. so the lock did the job but the glass didnt. they didnt take nothing because they was to lazy to pick up a dollar bill laying in the seat. all im saying is a new lock will not keep you from getting broke into. maybe the man selling these locks will say so but i have learned not to listen to everything i hear. i can put you up some leaf guard gutter too. i can guarantee you they will not get clogged and sell them to you for a high price and then go out of business or sell my company to another man that wont warranty my work because he didnt do the job. will they clog? sure they will in a period of time no dout about it. it sounds good at first but in the end will it get the job done. most of the time no!

11. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    I think you missed my point... You had said they could get in if they wanted in.. I fully AGREE. But by having a better lock should force them to break a window or kick the door in, the noise should alert me in time to grab my gun.
    And I don't live in a city either. :wink:

We've had a home break in... they broke out a window, we were gone on vacation.

12. mailhiker

mailhiker New Member

State:
    KY
    I saw this on the news recently. Hope no one tries "bumping a lock" here, or I might have to "click a hammer". Know what I mean?