Home remedies

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by ncfowler, Feb 22, 2007.

1. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    Home remedies
    Over the last few days I was given many suggestions for my poor aching back. Everything to be walked by my kids to some weird stuff. Which brings me to an idea for a thread for home remedies and what it are they used for. When I go to bed I have leg cramps and my friend told me to take a teaspoon of white vinegar with some sugar and lemon, before I go to bed, it worked, why? I have no clue. So lets here some of your home remedies, it can be for anything for a splinter to brain tumors.

2. Who

Who New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well I was reading in a FoxFire book that a cure for athlete's foot is to take off your shoes, socks and then :confused2:put both feet in fresh meadow muffins. You are to let them dry and then put socks and shoes back on. :eek:oooh: Now I have'nt tried this but hay it might work:big_smile:
    Now, with all kidding aside if you are out at the lake and bring home :crazy:a case of chiggers:crazy: the best way to get rid of them is to fill the bathtub with warm water and add no more than 1/4 cup bleach to it, and get in or go to your local swimming pool and get in. It will kill them and you should be :crazy:chigger free. In bad cases you might need to do it twice. I have used and told this to others for years. I swear it works. Now on children I would use less.

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you have a sore throat to the point that it's really bothering you you should go to the doctor just in case it's strep throat which could be very dangerous. But if it's on a weekend, try sipping hot water as hot as you can stand with Honey and Vinigar. It's very soothing and it's a concoction that has natural antibiltics. Also this one came from my late uncle. He witnessed a retired auto mechanic spray wd-40 on his hands because he had bad arthritis in them and he couldn't hardly move his fingers. I guess he sprayed his hands down good and waited about 30 min. after which he was able to help my uncle as he was having some sort of car trouble.I remember hearing my uncle state that he was totally amazed,but the ole boy swore by it!:smile2:

4. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If you ever had foot fungus or cracked skin on your feet you know how expensive those creams and ointments can be and even more so for the prescribed ones.
    I had a doctor tell me to forget all that nonsense and buy a gallon of vinegar. Mix in a large bottle of listerine and soak your feet in it every night for the first week and go to a few nights a week afterwards.
    When I worked out of town alot I kept a foot fungus probally from hotel showers.

It works better then anything that any pharmaceticul company has come up with.
    Vinegar is an acid. It attacks a fungus and cracked skin.
    The listerine is medicated, the healing agent.
    It took me about 2 weeks to get my feet back right but results can be seen in a matter of a few days.

Being that vinegar is rather expensive and so is the large bottle of listerine After I soak my feet I funnel it back into jugs and reuse it for the duration of the treatment.

5. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Here's two home remedies for asthma. For babies and small children cut a sassafrass tree limb the same length as thay are tall and hang them over all the doors the children go through in the house.
    The other one is to get a chihuahua dog when you start to have an asthma attack pick up the dog and some how the dog suspose to take the attack away.
    We used both remedies on my sister and it seemed to help.

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    This is a cool thread.I'll have to follow it. Thanks!!!

7. Tala

Tala Guest

Apple cider vinegar is awesome, when it comes to home remedies. Works good for acid reflux, cools a sunburn, relieves sore muscles, clears up dandruff, can be gargled for bad breathe or a scratchy throat. This stuff even works well as a general household cleaner.

8. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    When I was a kid, I was always stepping on nails, some went all the way through my foot. My mother would make me sit with my foot in a pan of kerosene for about 5 or 10 minutes. Back then I'd never heard of a Tetanus shot. Also when I had a bad cold she would give me a teaspoon of kerosene and sugar. :eek:oooh:

9. SHARON FLEMING

SHARON FLEMING New Member

State:
    IOWA
    This has been in my family for years, I don't know if it really works but the kids and grandkids ask for this as soon as they get a cold. They swear by it Who knows
    IF you have a cold & stuffed up nose rub vics on the bottom of your feet and put socks on and when you get up in the am yuo should feel better

I got this from and old family DR> For sore throats mix 2 tbl spoons of perciode and 2 table spoon of salt and 2 tbl spoons of listernine and gargle every hour and then on the half hour gargle with warm salt water works great on strep throat

10. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Mustard Plaster. In my opinion it works for about any chest congestion/flu/cold. I forget whats in it but I know that it's a real remedy cause I fell "victim" to it from my Great-grandmother more than a few times!
    :big_smile:

11. james_s333

james_s333 New Member

State:
    byesville,ohio
    i know that taking a tablespoon of baking soda and mixing it with a 8oz glass of warm water works for heart burn

12. waterwalker

waterwalker New Member

State:
    Louisville Ohio
    We use a few home remedies, the vinegar for toenail fungus works. Do you know the sweet oil we buy for ear problems is olive oil? If you want
    home remedies, there are alot of sites on the subject.

13. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    heres one my mother told me , her mom my grandmother used to boil rabbits skim off the oil and while still warm put a drop or 2 in her kids ears when they had earaches and it would cause the wax and infection to run out

14. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Honey, lemon juice, and burbon whiskey heated so the honey disolves good. Great for a cough, but would work for a miriad of other "ailments".

15. Flintman

Flintman New Member

State:
    OKC, OKLA.
    Here is one people tell me to try.

A mixture of ground lime seeds and black pepper
    make a paste and rub on your bald spot.

Forget it, I love this low maintance hair cut. But for all you who dont like to "shine" try it and let us know.

Flint

16. winston61

winston61 New Member

State:
    Texas
    This mention of kerosene for wounds is no wives tale. Kerosene then and now contains sulfur, an antibacterial. One of the first antiboitics, sulfanilomide, is still around.

17. Dano

Dano New Member

State:
    Texas
    When out in middle of no where fishing, If you ever poke a hole through your T. Shoe with a catfish fin or what ever, scrape some belly slime off the catfish and rub it on. Works better when in slat water, ocean fish.
    Other than that, cowboy up , walk it off.

18. pythonjohn

pythonjohn New Member Supporting Member

State:
    F L A Swamps
    Two table spoons of apple cider vinegar.
    small glass of water (hot or cold)
    Mix in honey to taste....Drink.
    Taste like apple cider.
    Good for everything!
    Drink with meal helps with digestion and heart burn.

19. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Sore throat? Just mix 1/4 cup of vinegar with 1/4 cup of honey and take 1 tablespoon six times a day. The vinegar kills the bacteria

20. rudepossum

rudepossum Well-Known Member

State:
    Missouri
    Smart splinter remover ....just pour a drop of Elmer's Glue-All over the splinter, let dry, and peel the dried glue off the skin. The splinter sticks to the dried glue.