Home Made Targets.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting' started by ozzy, Nov 4, 2008.

1. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I read about targets should look the same at different yardage so I took some picnic plates and cut some circles out. I made 2" circles for 20 yards and added 1" for every 10 yards so 60 yards is a 6" circle. I learned you can tack them to hay bails with a golf tee. Hopefully I can get out this weekend and rescope my bow. This is killing me but I aint turning down work at this point.

Attached Files:

2. Catpaw

Catpaw Well-Known Member

State:
    Central Cail
    Name:
    James
    Great idea ozzy that should do the trick ....what's the cost spent on that lol $1:50 for 100 target's lol can't go wrong there.

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Mike, please don't take this wrong but you'll shoot tighter groups if your shooting at a smaller dot. At least i do. I can hold better groups with a wal-mart sticker than i can something 3" in diameter. The smaller target will make you hold it on it more.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Wrong, never buddy. If I can hit a wally world sticker Ill be happy. With the problems Ive had and work overload Ill be glad just to be able to shoot and sight my bow in. Im hoping to squeeze a day or two this weekend but aint looking good. Ya did just give me an idea, Im gonna make 1" dots and put them on all yardage plates I made. Thanks John. :big_smile:

5. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Cost me a dollar or two for that. I have the vinyl cutter so thats free, just labor. Thanks.

6. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    Has anybody used the targets that you stuff old clothes into. Do they work as well as the store bought? I like the idea of getting a few of these stuff bag targets for multiple distance shooting. I make my own target stands out of pvc pipe so I can move them around. I will try to show pictures later.

7. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    i've used the cloths bags before and wasn't crazy about it. For a stationary target 2 pieces of plywood with packing foam between it does well. You have to run all-thread thru the corners and tighten it down good. For the folks with a dry indoor place to shoot, it's hard to beat old phone books stacked against a wall. I have a" block target" that i shoot both feild points and broadheads into thats pretty durable and never had a pass thru.

8. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
  9. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    I'ld love to be able to shoot my 270 out west and find out what it really is capable of. It'll outshoot me i'm certain.:smile2:

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Aim small, miss small !! I like using the little orange stickers that are sold a gun shops for their practice. I stick them to the target butts at the archery range. There sold in different sizes and offer great visibility. I own a Block 4x4 for practice at home or wherever I decide to practice at. Great target and well worth the money spent. Stops my arrows with ease and offers easy arrow removal.

11. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was just about to post something similar. The burlap bags stuffed with blanket material stop my arrows pretty good. I'd lose an arrow every time I shot at a bale of straw. The styrofoam targets dont last, and the black hole targets are a little pricey. So, if you're going to shoot a lot, the bags stuffed with blanket/clothing materials are your best bet.

12. kennylee

kennylee New Member

State:
    Missouri -
    When I sight in a bow, I use a plain piece of paper and draw a 1 inch wide line with a black marker the length of the paper, using a torpedo level I level it on the target with the line vertical. I focus my pin on the line (not worring about high and lows, just the line) and shoot and adjust my pins left or right untill all my shots are on the line. Then I take the paper and level it horizontally and adjust my yardage. Work great and get you sighted in fast.

13. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    John
    I'm sure that most of the guns in the field will out shoot the gunner behind them. That sounds like another good thread full of discussion.

When sighting in my bow and practicing I use a 100# feed bag filled with old clothes. I draw a 1" line vertical and horizontal and aim right at the cross. then adjust sights till satisfied.The feed bag is cheap and arrow removal is extra easy.