Home-made sturdy motor mount

Discussion in 'Kayaker and Canoe Fishing' started by cat-tracker, Jul 13, 2009.

1. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hello everyone, been wanting to post this for awhile. I made this inexpensive motor mount from parts at your local home improvement stores. Also thinking about building adjustable stablelizers for the canoe. Best thing about it is I did not drill one hole in the canoe. The canopy was a left over from my sea-eagle inflatable that kept leaking which I threw away. Had to put some shade up in the Arizona heat, it can be brutal.

Attached Files:

2. Overkil

Overkil New Member

State:
    Arizona
    matt,

how stable is the canoe for fishing? Do you stand up at all? I'd think that'd be kinda risky...mods look good!

3. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    It's pretty stable but haven't hauled any biggins in yet, hopefully it will come soon. I'm thinking about reversing the trolling motor around, like put it up front and use the front as the back of the boat. I think it will distribute the weight a lot better because of more room there.

4. ChannelCatBen

ChannelCatBen New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    The canopy is awesome! I've thought about doing something like that with my canoe. Now I'm inspired.

Nice motor mount. Once you build one, you wonder how they can get away with charging a hundred bucks for one that probably isn't any better.

5. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Some real nice craftsman work there congrats to ya. Thanks for the addon pics also!

6. rush_60

rush_60 New Member

State:
    Troy, KS
    Looks good and thats a sweet canopy. I like it.:big_smile:

7. stoney53

stoney53 Well-Known Member

State:
    PA
    it all looks good , great job

8. slojam

slojam New Member

State:
    scarolina
    great job!(very inspiring)workin on some of the same stuff myself.

9. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Matt, nice riggin'. Where did you get the canopy?

10. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    I had my canopy from a previous boat. It's pricey to buy it seperate ($199.00) It measures 48" at the beam and about 60" long. My canoe was 36" at the beam, so I had 6" of overhang on each side, it worked out great because it covered the boat a lot better and it was out of the way.
    The overhang also got me thinking to increase it and add some stablelizers to it,(my next project)
    http://www.seaeagle.com/accessories/CoversCanopies.aspx
    If you don't want to pay the high price you can check out this web-site
    http://www.boatcovers.com/boatCovers/universalModels.asp?ucID=98
    It's alot cheaper and you can choose what you are looking for.

11. azcataholic

azcataholic New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hello Matt, nice looking setup, I like the shade idea, sure beats keeping a soaking towel over your legs. Possibly extending the battery leads and putting the battery as far front will help with weight distribution and space around you. Nice Ride!

12. schoonie

schoonie New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the info Matt. I like it.

13. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    Thanks for the great information, Matt! That's a great setup you have there.

14. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    what parts and materials did you use for the motor mount.i need a mount like you have set up for my boat

15. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    Hello Dan, if you have a home depot or similiar store you can find all you need there to build the mount. The bar and clamp you will find it in the electrical aisle where you also find conduit pipes. The bar comes in 10' sections or if you are lucky you can find a shorter piece and you will get a discounted price on it, the clamp and the L-bracket is also located in the same area. I also got some of the fastener nuts that slides inside the bars there too, and purchase some ss bolts or galvanized bolts to attach everything together. First thing to do is find 3/4" plywood, cut it into two pieces (the size are mine are 10" x 8")glue them together, then put a water sealer or polyuthernae on it. Cut the bar to size then attached the L-bracket to the bar, I believe I used 1/2"bolts. Slide the clamps on and tighten it down. You can customize all you want.

Attached Files:

16. cat-tracker

cat-tracker New Member

State:
    arizona
    The extra pieces of bar you can put fish finder or rod holder on it. Whatever you want, this is what I did. The bar is also galvanized steel so you can attach flashlights that has a magnet on them and position them anywhere. Hope you get some ideas from it.

Attached Files: