home made rod holders

Discussion in 'Catfishing Library' started by godsglad8tor, Jul 16, 2007.

1. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    went down to acehardware and bought the following:

6 clamps 1" 5/16 to 2" 1/4 (the clamps that have the screws on it to tighten the strap)

2 steel rods, galvinized if possible 3ft long 3/8

pvc pipe cut into 3, 8" peices size 1 1/2" ( make 4 instead, i only bought 3 and now have to go back for one more :0a7::0a6:)

cost of materials: 26$ roughly( might seem high to some but i had fun making my own)

tools required: a screw driver, and hacksaw

estimated time: 30 mins for all 3

very simple... cut 3, 8" peices of pvc pipe set aside, next take your steel rod with a hack saw, cut 18"(half of the rod into 2), you should grind the ends because they are sharp after cutting, weither you want a point for easy entry to the ground i found working a grinder to it works good, even though i dont have one, but defenitly i would at least grind the ends with a file so you dont cut yourself later, okay the only thing left is to put it together, i like to have a little bit of the rod to stick out on the top but its up to you, not much more to do now as you slide 2 clamps on the pvc pipe, one clamp goes an inch off the bottom and then one goes on one inch off the top, tighten her down with a screwdriver and walla, homemade pole holder, very strong, and as the years pass and your pvc pipe becomes dry rot, you can change them out pretty quick.... okay so in the end you should have 3 strong fishing rod holders for bank fishing. sorry i dont have pictures, but i will have them soon....

:0a26: :cool2:

2. vinnie

vinnie New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I really liked this Idea! I couldn't find any pipe laying around, so I used some type of pvc hose I found in the trash at work.

[​IMG]

Inserted into ground at approximately 25 to 30 degrees.

[​IMG]

Holds pole nicely!! I cant wait to use these at the pit!

[​IMG]

3. hatchie rat

hatchie rat New Member

State:
    tn
    those are kinda like the ones i made except i used a six inch 1 1/2 gas pipe and welded it to a piece of angle iron about 24 inches long they are heavy and sometimes hard to get into really hard ground but i promise that rods not going anywhere i usually put them in straight up so there's no chance of getting pulled out i'd post a pic but it says i;m not allowed they look like yours only metal

4. vinnie

vinnie New Member

State:
    Indiana
    OK... Ive made a couple modifications to my holders. I found using the flexible PVC vacuum hose was not a great idea. The texture of the inside of the hose was kinda' clinging to the foam on my reel handles, making it very difficult to extract my rod from the holders in time to set the hook if I got a hit. So I picked up a piece of 2 inch PVC pipe and swapped it out. I made a couple cuts in the PVC pipe to make it so I didn't have to lift my rods out 8 inches before they were free. With the setup I have now I only have to lift a few inches. Thanx so very much "godsglad8tor" for the neat idea!
    Here are some pics.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. ga_sportsman

ga_sportsman New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Very good idea .We have used a piece of grey condutit about 2 inches or so and cut a slant at the end and drove it in the ground .I like this idea because it is easyer to drive the rod in the ground and not the pipe.

6. monticelloJCR

monticelloJCR New Member

State:
    South Carolina, Monticello
    Very good idea!! I made mine out off 2" pipe welded to rebar. Thats just what I had lying around, a bit heavy but I dont move them! They serve the same purpose, but whatever works, right! thanks!