Home made punch bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by melvinrose, Oct 12, 2007.

1. melvinrose

melvinrose New Member

State:
    San Angelo, Texas
    I was out late yesterday evening and I spotted what appeared to be a school of shad in shallow water. I have been wanting to try my hand at making my own bait so I dug out my throw net and caught enough 2" threadfin shad to fill up a quart size ziplock bag. I had already gathered cat tails a while back so I had them at home. I iced down the shad and today when I got off work I went to HEB and bought two pounds of fine grated sharp cheddar cheese and one pound of lard. I ran the shad through a meat grinder and mixed everything together. I don't really know how much cat tails I put in there but it wa a lot. I also added some dry flour and oatmeal to the bait to stiffen it up. All that made about a gallon of bait. I'm going to let it set for awhile and age then try it out. Has anybody else tried this and doed anybody have any suggestions?

2. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    How about trying parmesan cheese. That stuff taste good but damn it stinks !!!:eek:oooh:

3. melvinrose

melvinrose New Member

State:
    San Angelo, Texas
    The worst cheese i've ever smelled is limburger. No way am i going to taste that stuff.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Melvin sounds like a good idea. Please update us when you have given it the fish test. Thanks.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Limburger cheese tastes pretty good. It doesn't stink, it just has a very strong odor. I've heard of mixing limburger and hog brains 50/50, but never tried it.

6. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas

Jerry,

Buddy I have to dissagree with you. To me Limburger cheese stinks...lol

7. BLKCLOUD

BLKCLOUD Member

State:
    Pulaski Tn
    We actually used to mix this very same ingredients and made a stink bait for trapping..:big_smile:

8. melvinrose

melvinrose New Member

State:
    San Angelo, Texas
    I tried it out yesterday and it seems to be a little dry. I must of put too much dry flour and oatmeal in it. The channel cats did like it. They weren't biting good but I did get some bites and caught one keeper. I'm going to catch more shad to grind up and add to it. Also it needs more time to ripen. I will keep my progress posted.

9. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I've experimented with dip baits, using cheese and shad. Worked okay, but Sonny's, Hog Wild, Rusty's, etc. works just as well and it easier to use.

10. TexDan

TexDan New Member

State:
    Texas
    This is sort of strange because I have been thinking (last night) of trying almost the same recipe. I am going to make a similar out of Lard, Shad, Liver and Parmesan cheese with either cattail of cotton fibers. If yours is too dry try mixing in a little of the water from the place that you are fishing. I have to do this with Danny King's punch bait sometimes. I love punch baits and if this works I want to catch a mess of crawfish for a crawfish version. Cats LOVE crawfish!

11. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    Add a "little" fish oil to it to get the texture just right.....

12. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I guess it's all in the perception. Personally, I think a salt marsh smells wonderful, especially when it's been a while since smelling one, but I've heard a lot of people talk about how it stinks.

13. melvinrose

melvinrose New Member

State:
    San Angelo, Texas
    I havent been able to get out much lately. Work and now cold weather are getting in the way. I was wondering, my wife bought a bottle of orental fish sauce once for a recipe she was cooking. I can't remember what the dish was she cooked but I remember how strong that bottle of fish sauce smelled! Has anybody put any of that stuff in a homemade bait concoction before? I seriously thinking about mixing some into my punch bait. Any comments?

14. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    If the fish oil your talking about is natural fish oil I would think it would give the bait a little kick.
    Try it you might like it, rather the fish might.
    Loop

15. riverratokie

riverratokie New Member

State:
    Collinsville Oklahoma
    If its too dry try some condensed milk. Smells really good after it ripens!

16. dab_602000

dab_602000 New Member

State:
    Ft. Worth Texas
    Soften it up with WD-40 and sprinkle with garlic powder. It will work wonders. Try alittle on some crackers too

17. melvinrose

melvinrose New Member

State:
    San Angelo, Texas
    yeah, i bet it does. i've been fishin the birds lately with sure shot punch bait and it has been really good!

Attached Files: