home made dip bait base

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by X24, Sep 4, 2008.

1. X24

X24 New Member

State:
    Monroe,Nebraska
    After fiddling around with different homemade bait recipes and noticing that just about all of them are dough baits or something like regular shrimp or chicken liver spiced up with garlic and none of them work very well where I fish. Dip baits on the other hand slay the eater-sized cats, so why not a homemade dip bait?

Why - Adding natural ingredients from around the area seems like it would make the bait more appealing to local cats. Grasshoppers and toads seem to be in surplus around here. Haven't had an extreme amount of success on them, but they do work and I'm sure the sent of them will be more intense when ground up.

Why not - Getting that dip bait base seems rather hard. Just pureeing the ingredients seems like it should work, but that ends up either much to liquidy or too lumpy, I'm looking for something creamy like commercial baits.

Solution: After playing around with everything from oatmeal to corn flakes to just flour to gelatin, none of which really being a dip bait, I've seemingly found a perfect base. Butter, crisco, vegetable oil and cornstarch to thicken. It seems to have just about the same consistency as commercial dip baits and accepts about any kind of sent blended in with it.

While i haven't found what to sent it with, I'm thinking of pureeing earthworms, grasshoppers, toads/frogs, shrimp, garlic and livers, maybe some cheese and mixing it into this base.

Thoughts? Opinions? Comments on my craziness/stupidity? :smile2:

2. Ghosth

Ghosth New Member

State:
    North Dakota
    I think a dozen nightcrawlers, set in the sun till they die, and go a bit off, then pureed, would be a very good attractant with a ton of smell. And shouldn't be very watery.

Pureed chicken livers would be another one worth a try.

Here is one I found using google.
    http://www.whiskerkitty.com/bells_of_hell_bait.html

Combination of hog brains & cheese.

If your bait is too liquid I would try flour or similar as a binder. I've seen a lot of guys post about cattail fuzz, cottonseed cake etc.

I've also had pretty fair luck catching catfish with doughballs that I made for catching carp. The ones that work the best for cats had vanilla in them. My basic doughball recipe is just cornmeal, water, flour and flavorings. I start with a half cup of cornmeal, 1.5 - 2 cups of water, bring it to a boil, and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Once its cooked if you want even stickier you can add marshmallows and stir them in.
    Then just start stirring in flour, until its too stiff to stir. At that point I dump it onto a floured board and continue to kneed in flour until its stiff and not too sticky to roll.

But I think you could skip most of the flour if you wanted to try it as a dip bait base.

Molasses or vanilla for flavorings is what I've done the most of. One batch seemed to come out light on flavor, so after I boiled them I soaked them in molasses in a zip lock bag for 2 days. Then rolled them in cornmeal. Those were dynamite on carp.

For next year I'm going to try doughballs made with a can of sardines or tuna in oil mixed in.

Well I recently had several quarts of Ricotta cheese given to me. I am Hoping to experiment with it one of these days for a cheese based bait. For now its in the freezer.

BOC library has a lot of goodies in it. Just takes some time reading then experimenting.

3. X24

X24 New Member

State:
    Monroe,Nebraska
    I used to fish almost exclusively for carp around here, and had a very good recipe for carp dough bait, but never caught a single channel on it. Now carp are in a much lower abundance around here and I'm exclusively on cats.

The old worms thing seems like it should work out pretty good, but would a variety of different things added or just a lot of a few ingredients be better in this?

I'm still very happy with the base and today I'm going to start infusing scents into it to hopefully try it out Sunday.

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would suggest you use Menhaden or skipjack oil in your base for scent.

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Bill, what I think would be a dynamite dip bait would be pureed maggots. Take some cheap canned dog food or even fish guts and let the flies blow it real good, then cover with a screen to keep the flies from laying any more eggs. Watch the maggots as they grow and eat, and add more dog food or guts as needed, but not too much. The idea is to have the maggots have most of the food eaten when they get big enough to harvest. When you begin seeing a dark spot on the biggest maggots, it's time to harvest. Put everything into an old blender and puree. You may need to add a little water or oil...just enough to make a thick creamy liquid. Dip a sponge hook into this, poke it some with a stick to help the sponge soak it up, and catch fish. The reason I think this would work so great is because I've had such good luck using live maggots. Threading 3 or 4 onto a hook, I've caught big bream, shellcrackers, crappie, bass, and catfish.

6. X24

X24 New Member

State:
    Monroe,Nebraska
    I'm not sure where to get menhaden oil. Right now I'm working on a small sample of what things i had on hand. Its pureed hotdog, shrimp and earthworms at the moment.

This test batch is mostly to establish that the consistency is correct and it stays on the dip bait worm or sponge like I'm hoping.

After that I'm going into serious scent testing.

7. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    for a good base you would need something super sticky like a firm molasses. why not try boiling down a mixture of pureed mackeral, anchovies or chicken livers in sugar until almost a firm molasses texture. the right amount of ingredients could possibly off set the sweetnes of the sugar base? just a thought, i havent attempted my own catfish bait since the cheddar cheese and leftover anchovie in a coffee can fiasco of '83:eek:oooh:

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I can't imagine anything suitable that's more sticky than skipjack oil. I've never used any menhaden oil, so I don't know how sticky it is.

9. Guido

Guido New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    does anyone have a good crawdad punch bait recipe. I cant find one on line

10. Guido

Guido New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would use something of food source for them.get some crawdads and let them spoil. They smell horrible and ground them up for your bait. Here you cant get them in Walmarts or Homelands you have to head to one of the china markets. But you usually can find them real cheap.. Heck maybe throw some frogs in there... Good luck

11. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    I went to th coast once, down around Chorpus, caught several hermit crabs. was gonna try n keep them as pets, well they ended up dieing, so I pulled them out of their shells, and stuck them on hooks. outfished th stink bait 3-1.

12. X24

X24 New Member

State:
    Monroe,Nebraska
    Haven't got a chance to use this bait yet. Fishing has slowed down, I think this weekend I might get out there again, we'll see. It sure is starting to smell not-so pleasant.