Home Made Deer Feeder

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by billNpam, Jul 20, 2009.

1. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have found a cheap way to build your own deer feeder. you will need the following items for two feeders. 1. 1 ea 10 foot long 6 inch PVC pipe
    2. 2 ea PVC caps to go over pipe
    3. 4 ea hose clamps big enough to go around tree and pipe or large Zip ties.

First cut pipe into 2 ea 5 foot sections. Secure these to tree about 1-2 inches off the ground. The higher off the ground the more corn you will use if you go to high then rodents and squirrels will crawl underneath. Fill pipe with with corn and install cap. The good things about these they are cheap and very easy to move through out the woods.

2. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Good tip. I have used this type of feeder for years. Low tech. Nothing to go wrong. And they work.

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Yeah these work great. I've been using a similar type I made myself. I put a 90 elbow on the bottom to turn the feed out from the trunk of the tree and I dig a little hole for the feed to fill up and then just let the deer do the rest. I've harvested 2 deer on opening morning for the last 15 years off this same feeder. I usually throw out a few apples too and start the feeder up about 6 weeks before the bow season opener. :wink:

4. Katfish Kern

Katfish Kern New Member

State:
    Florida
    Thanks for the tip! I think I will be giving that a whirl.

5. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    The feeder I use is even simpler than that. I use a 55 gallon barrel, and I whack 3 slits in the bottom of it with a hatchet, then hammer them in towards the inside of the barrel, so corn will lay there in the open spot. It makes little half-moon places on the bottom of the barrel, where a deer can stick its nose and eat corn. It's so easy and simple, that it doesn't look like it'd ever work. The deer love it though, and birds are attracted to the feeder like crazy.

Edit: let me clarify that a fuzz..... I cut the slits with the hatchet along the very bottom lip of hte barrel. They are horizontal, and the bent metal allows the corn to feed pretty well.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2009
  6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Bill thanks for the tip. Do you need to camouflage the pipe?

7. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Sounds good to me. Sounds like something similar to what we use to use.

8. billNpam

billNpam Active Member

State:
    Alabama

Nope I use it as is from Lowes

9. gbigskin

gbigskin New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    there are several types of feeders that will despence corn but the drawback to most is you can not control the amt. they feed. once a heard starts using a feeder they can empty it overnight. this can get real costly real quick. it has been my experience that it is cheaper in the long run to buy a timer type of feeder with a feed rate feature. then you can feed as much or as little as you choose. i run mine yr. round once a day at the lowest feed rate setting and find that i use alot less corn than if it were free choice even if it were only used around deer season. just my thoughts on the subject.

10. joshmorgan

joshmorgan New Member

State:
    columbia, MS
    My dad use to fill up 2 and 3 liter bottles with corn about 3/4 of the way full(to full and the corn won't spill out), and take them out to his stand. Then he would make several cuts down the sides of the bottles longways, and throw em on the ground. The deer would have to bump the bottles with their nose or hoof, and when the bottle rolled a little bit of corn would spill out of the cuts. Keeps the deer in the area a little longer and cuts down on corn cost. When they ran out he'd bring a 5 gl bucket of corn, a funnel, and a scoop and refill em. Just have to make sure u don't leave the bottles out after the season as not to junk up ur land.

11. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Great idea there. Always glad to see post such as this!

12. Angler4life

Angler4life New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Again, thanks for sharing your ideas.

13. 6pointer0075

6pointer0075 New Member

State:
    tn
    yeah this is a good idea for a feeder. its cheap and you can make more than one. the only problem we have had is keeping the feeder full. our hurd eats it way to fast. if we were to fill it up it would be gone in 2 days or less. we have an huge abundance of fawns every year and they will just sit there all day untill its gone!! witness this myself in the stand. last year we went through almost 150 punds of corn every other weekend. talk about expensive!!!! but this is def a good idea