Home made coon bait recipe

Discussion in 'Trapping & Fur Taking' started by gooboy, Jun 29, 2006.

1. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    I've got 300 pounds of buffalo and carp left over from my turtle fishin'. I'm wanting to grind it up and make some paste type coon bait. Has anyone ever done this. If so would you share your recipe and method?

2. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I usually use canned Jack Mackeral (sometimes mix-in some oil-packed sardines) from the dollar store for pocket & dirtholes. I will add some fish/shellfishoil to the mix also. If I'm cage trapping.....seems like marshmellows work best for me.

I have used alittle fresh carp, but usually just in addition to the Jack Mack, so what I'm going to say is just speculation, not personal experience.

You might add some fishoil or shellfishoil to the mix, it'll add alot more fishy smell. You may want to consider adding some (food-grade) glycol to it to help prevent it from freezing (if you get that cold there). I've read of others adding bacon grease, or any other fat drippings from cooking.

Smitty

3. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Ever wrapped the pan with tinfoil for coons? Ain;t the best,but not the worst bait.Easy to carry in case you ever run out of coon bait.peewee-williams

4. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    if you dont mind me asking, could you explain a little on this turtle fishing and how it is done?

5. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Heard of it, but never tried it. The theory behind it is they are attracted to the "glitter" of the foil...."coon-bling" I guess you could call it :tounge_out: . I'd think it'd have a better chance when the moon was fullest, but again, that's just speculation on my part. A fishy-smelling bait would attract them from a distance, whereas the foil would have to be within sight distance (though I understand you could combine both). I'd rather have my trap concealed as much as possible, as coon are notorious for "flipping" traps.

lol....Peewee....are you sure you ain't a trapper trapped in a catfishermans body? :big_smile:

Smitty

6. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Legal trapping from catfish to live possums was a accepted and honorable way for a kid to make money in my day.I was fortunate enough to have some 50 to 90 year old teachers in the 50's.Some was poor all their life and lived hard off the land for all of their life.I knew people who lived in dirt floor homes of pine slabs and tar paper.I didn;t and they didn;t know that they were poor.Indians were hardly recognized as people and no one seemed to care how they or their children lived.They did not seem to be even acknowledged as existing.I was friendly with a boy who never went to school.He lived in a shack in the woods with his blind grandfather.He hunted and fed them both with a slingshot and home made traps.It seemed like "Good"people had taken him away from his grandfather,as he was not considered able to take care of him.He ran away,got his grandfather and they ran off a long way to live and hide in my woods on the Santee.I left him all of my traps when I moved away.I never told a soul until I was grown,went back and found development and homes where they had lived.I would trade or buy at the store for them as was common for neighbors in those days.If you went to the store.you went for everyone on the way.I have always wondered what happened to them.Maybe someone will read this who knows,and tell me.All my steel traps were the old double and a few single long spring traps.Many to most were homemade traps.Live trapping Possums and Coons year round was a big money maker.Nearly all of my trapping was to sell the animal to eat.Meat trapping.With live traps only in the summer,I could trap and then sell the male,and release the females year round.I was not readily accessible to a fur market.I got to go home with a few of my Navy buddies and run trap lines up north.It is so much different,with most of the conditions and many of the animals being different.People now days are afraid of a little wet and cold.There are so many new or different traps out now that I have only seen or read about.I bought 2 dozen of the traps that I was familiar with and taught my sons to trap.My traps disappeared with time.I do envy you.I would have loved to have been able to really learn the way you people trap and the proper caring of fur.peewee-williams

7. greenfish

greenfish New Member

State:
    TN
    I REALLY ENJOYED UR STORY.I HOPE U FIND UR FELLOW TRAPPERS. PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF U FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENED TO THE GRANDFATHER AND SON BACK THEN RESPECT MEANT EVERYTHING ......TODAY MOST PPL DONT EVEN KNOW THE WORD....N THEY SURE DONT KNOW THE MEANING....U SOUND LIKE A GOOD PERSON,GIVE URSELF A PAT ON THE BACK FROM ME:big_smile:
    SIGNED,
    TAMMY
    ELAINA'S MOM

8. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Peewee, Thank you for sharing that part of your life. But in your closing of your post, you said you envied me. It is I who envy you. I would much rather have grown-up that way then in a world like we have today. Things have changed WAY too much, and they aren't for the better.

I constantly dream of having been born in a different time, a hundred, maybe two-hundred years ago. I've even considered leaving for a place away from "civilization", but after an accident a few years ago, I would be physically unable to do so now. Now I just dream if there's even such a place left.......................

Smitty

9. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    i've never used sardines or mackeral. heard of a lot of folks that do with good results though. the last couple seasons i've been using salted buffalo and carp in my bucket sets. i also make a lot of bait sets by just tacking a piece of bait on the side of a tree a couple inches above the water. the kinds of are that i trap don't have a lot of good sets for pocket sets. most of my trappin is done on flat water without vertical banks. i just would like to try some homemade paste bait. been wantin' to do it for a couple years, just been puttin' it off. i like the idea of adding fishoil or shellfish oil for the extra smell. was gona use the glycol also for anti-freeze and its bonding qualities. just tryin to pick everyones brain on some good ideas. thanks for the response.

10. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I am honest about it.I envy you and many others as I am pretty much house bound and cain;t easily get out and do the things that many of you can.There are so many ways to do everything.From the Arctic and Anarchic to the Equator.On each and every Continent,people have lived with and off of the land for thousands of years.Generation after generation taught the next generation how to nurse and use the land.Their survival depended on the land.Greed changed all of that.Just listen to people talk where ever you go.It is all about me,my and I.Occasionally a we.They,them or those is normally used in a derogatory manner.Our survival still does depend on the land.Unfortunately the people that have experienced the least seem to know the most and make the decisions.How many people that have ever really been hungry,have decided how the people are fed?Seems that the ones that have never known hunger,or had to survive on their own are the experts that the world depends on.Yea! I envy you.You are constantly trying to learn all that you can and broadening your knowledge about trapping,and then you get to go out and apply your knowledge.Some will work in your area and some will not.For every new thing that will work,their will be many that won;t.You are not afraid to experiment and try new things.A popular Coon set in the South would be imposable in the North,due to freezing.I do believe that if there is a universal bait it would be salty.Beaver,Otter,squirrel and deer will eat the dirt where a Ice cream churns salt water was dumped on the river bank.peewee-williams

11. peewee williams

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Mam,I did exactly what was expected of any boy in rural South Carolina at the time.I kept my word as was expected.I did what was expected.That area was full of people that would have done the same.I think that some did.I did not ask or pry.I would have been "shunned"as dishonest and a lier had I not done as I did.You did not even think of doing different.I am sure that there are still many such people along the Santee today that are the same as then.That is the way they were raised.This was just the way it was through out the rural South of the 50's.This was "country folks".Growing up I found it the same from the Appalachians to the Everglades,from the Atlantic to the Mississippi river.Going "Home"with shipmates in the Navy.I found rural people to be much the same through out the whole country.Even today,I have very little understanding of what we called "City Values"."I,Me,My Self" and some times "Our".It seemed that "Our"was seldom used and only when absolutely necessary.God has sent it all back to me in time.The people on here are the kind of people that I am talking about.I wish that everyone was like them.peewee-williams

12. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Eric, have you ever tried a PVC set? I use several of them, especially on the shallower ditches & runoffs where the surrounding terrain is basically flat, as you described.

I take a piece of (white) PVC, anywhere from 3/4" to 2" in diameter, and cut them in 14-16" lengths, cutting a 45* on the end that will be driven in the ground. At your set location, drive the PVC into the ground right at the waters edge at a 45-60* angle "leaning" towards the water. I like the pipe to be 10-12" off the top of the waters surface. Grab a handfull of weeds, grass, leaves (whatevers handy) & stuff them into the pipe so that you have about a 2-3" deep depression in the pipe (this will prevent your bait from falling to the bottom of the pipe), and fill it with your bait. Bed your trap directly under the opening of the pipe. This set can be used on drowners or not.

Another is to take some seasoned treelimbs 2-4" in diameter (don't use green wood if you have beavers in the area), cut the bottom at an angle (to make driving them easier), then (using a chainsaw) cut 3-4 "notches the width of the chain into 1 side of the limb. Their length will vary with water depth, but 3-6" of water depth is fine. Drive the stake into the bottom, 1-2' off the bank (again, as long as it isn't too deep) with the notches facing the bank, take your bait mix (ground-up is best, like a paste) and wipe a handful of it into the notches, filling them with bait, then add alittle on the top. Bed your trap between this & the bank. You may want to add a piece of wire to the post, as it may become knocked-over & drift away.

Both these sets are quick, but do require carrying the extra materials to make them. The PVC does add alittle visual attraction for trap thieves, if they're a problem in your area, so use with that taken into consideration. The wood on the other hand, look alittle more "natural".

Peewee...lol....If I'm ever in your neck of the woods (or vice-versa), I'd sure enjoy setting out in a couple lawnchairs & talking with you! :big_smile:

Smitty

13. sds888

sds888 New Member

State:
    Townville, South Carolina
    I would have to agree with 223 I envy the older generation they are the ones that really had it made. My family has been running trap lines since the 1600's. However all of that knowledge was lost. My grandfather trapped and fished for a living and he died when I was 2. That was on my mothers side and he didnt teach my mother becuase she was a girl. Now hundreds of years of knowledge is lost. But it is in my blood and I ern for that knowledge. Now we have the internet dvds and etc to teach trapping and fur handling but can that really make up for all that knowledge that was lost. No way. It also doesnt make up for the time of getting out there with hands on experince with a trapper with that knowledge that can show you every step how to do things what bait to use. I dont have children and probably will never have a child but i will make sure I pass as much of my knowledge to other people as I can. It wont be very much but maybe it will be a starting point. It is people like peewee and 223 and other boc members that give out knowledge are the one that will help the future of trapping and fishing. You never know when america might have to resort back to that. Look at katrina or the tsumnia some one may of had to survive off of the land after those disasters but how are you going to do if you dont know how. We take for grant it what we know but we all need to spread that knowledge. Just my rambling.
    Stephen

14. cuttingout69

cuttingout69 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    I grew up being taught by word of mouth by and old man who is still alive. I just listened to what he told me about his line and put this to use on my line. He never carried me on but two of his lines. One was a coon water line, and the other was a road land line. I was taught at a young age to guard your secrets as if everyone else knows how you do so well, they will be moved in beside you in a short period of time. I never divulged any information till I joined this site, as there is no one close to where I live. I had never partner trapped till I meet Gooboy and he and I have worked together for a few years now. I teach him something, and he teaches me something. We both carry the load and catch twice as much when we are together. I have still find myself guarding what I have learned, due to the way I was raised. I did see Gooboy teach someone how to fish a few years back and now every time he goes to his old set, their gear is hanging on his set. They just moved in and took over and started tell everyone about the big fish they catch and taking people and showing them where they do it at. After watching this happen, I got very reluctant to tell anyone anything and for dang sure I did not want to show them where or how I do it. Still to this day, the only person I have ever taken on a trap line with me is my son, and Eric who I trap with. I have had a pile of people ask to go, but I always make a reason why they can’t go. I have shared some of my fishing with others, and will talk some about how I trap, but I will never carry anyone on the trap line with me. That is just the way I was raised.

15. primitivefrn

primitivefrn Member

State:
    collins mo
    Gooboy, I make a bait , once in a while with fish eggs and fish fat, put them together and let them break down out of the sun, you can put a small amount of tonqun musk (sp?) or catnip. shellyfish oil can be added just dont over power, with shellfish oil, use it as just a kicker. to boost smell.
    This seems to work best frist year, have two friends use it, cats and otter have been taken on it, with cats and otter you have to quit think canine.
    cats want fresh and otter to, coons will take it eather way, fresh our old, put preservite, in at the time it all become one, you may have to shake some in process. fresh ground fish, is good in its self. Mackeral as 223 stated is cheap and down right handy, as it comes with coons. hope this helps
    Jim

16. gooboy

gooboy New Member

State:
    Minden,La.
    Smitty, the two sets that you described are part of the reason that i'm wanting to make a paste type bait. I've never tried either set. Heard and read about the pvc sets for years and just haven't got around to trying it out. The chainsaw cut post set that you mentioned, I saw it on a Matt Jones video last time I was home. I really liked that set and can really use it and the pvc sets in the areas I trap. Thanks for the clear info on sizes of materials and trap placements that you described. I'll definately keep you up to date this winter on how they work out for me. I've still got 2 weeks left down here in Mexico before I get to go home. I'm makin' me a to do list. Makin' me some chainsaw posts and cuttin some pvc just got added to the list.

Peewee, I've really enjoyed reading your posts. Money and possessions are totally worthless without great memories. Sounds to me like you've got some awesome memories to share with us. When I was growing up, we were didn't have a lot. We had a 12'x52' trailer on a couple acres out in the country. I didn't get to wear designer jeans like a lot of my schoolmates. If sears and roebuck didn't make it, I didn't get it. But what I did get was one of the greatest dads in the whole wide world. He was a hunter, trapper, and fisherman. And I was his little side kick. I cannot even start to tell you the times I had tagging along in his footsteps in the woods or on the water. I got firsthand lessons on where to make that blind set in the edge of the water that was gona take that big old boar coon, and how to sneak up on them cat squirrels that was cuttin' hickory nuts, and just how to flip that cricket up against that cypress knee to catch that monster goggle eye. Lookin' back now, I realize that it wasn't them kids that had the designer clothes or the fancy bicycles that was rich. It was me that was rich. Rich with memmories and love from my dad. I wouldn't have wanted it any other way.

17. 223Smitty

223Smitty New Member

State:
    Indiana
    lol...I never said they "had it made" :big_smile: Life was tougher years ago compared to now. No cars, supermarkets, electricity, cable, phone, etc., you worked hard or you went hungry....
    I was refering more to the quality of life (more ISN'T always better), and howmoral standards seem to lose more of a grip as time passes. Heck, 200 years-ago if some scumbag stoled your horse, you shot or hung him. Now adays (if he even goes to jail) he's got 3 hots & a cot, TV, recreation and can use the justice system to file frivelless lawsuits......all costing taxpayers more money.

(Back to the subject)
    There was a well-known woman who trapped up in Canada. I have some old (70's) trapping mags where she'd written alot of articles (I can't recall her name). Now, alot of younger (teen) women are becoming involved in trapping.

Something else that hasn't been mentioned, is gang-setting. Coon at times will travel in numbers. I've seen as many as 5 taken at one location in 5 traps (within a 25' radius). There's an old saying that if a location is good enough for 1 trap, then it's good enough for 2-3 (or more). The same principal applies to K9 sets. In addition to multiple catches, it allows you to still have a working set (or more, depending on the # of traps you set) in the event a grinner or another non-target animal puts a set out of comission.

Smitty

18. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i love your story man! its a true heart warmer! your an inspiration to us all!:big_smile: