Home made catfish bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Catman2, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Catman2

Catman2 New Member

State:
    California
    Buy some mason jars, the large ones, with the rubber seal lids. Buy a carton of chicken livers, the stores also have packaged chicken gizzards with hearts, put at all in a blender, with about 2 teaspoons of garlic powder, some flour, wheaties and a teaspoon of honey, if you have any trout guts now is the time to throw that in the mix as well. Blend it, keep adding flour and wheaties until you get a consistancy of dough. if to thick add some A-1 steak sauce, blend it again. put it in the mason jars, set it outside for a few days but not directly in the sun. When You open the lid after a few days HOLD YOUR BREATH!!
    Go fishin'...if you just want a dip bait, leave out the flour and wheaties, blend everything else, dip ur treble hook sponge into the bait. Go fishin'.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Russ sounds like it might work. Have you tried it ? I would agree, I bet it stinks.. Thanks for sharing.

3. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA

sounds tasty

:0a30:

:0a31:

4. vandellchuck

vandellchuck New Member

State:
    Illinois
    that stuff sounds gnarly. and i hope it works cause im gunna make me a batch of that. haha, thanks alot!

5. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The first time I tried curing chicken livers, I used a recipe that called for dumping strawberry-banana jello, salt, and garlic powder into the cup with the livers. While it did make them a little bit tougher, they weren't nearly as tough as the sun-cured livers. And as time passed, the cup of livers got stinkier and stinkier. The stinkier they got, the fewer bites I got. Finally it got to the point where I couldn't stand to open the cup, and just threw it away. Less you think I've simply got a weak stomach, I often let fish scraps rot and pick the maggots out for bait--doesn't bother me.

6. PhillyCatcatcher4

PhillyCatcatcher4 New Member

State:
    S.W.Phila.,Penn.
  7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    EHH Im sure it will work though!

8. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    STINKY STINKY STINKY:eek:oooh::eek:oooh::eek:oooh:

9. Dogbreth

Dogbreth New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I buy a pound of ground chicken at Walmart. Deer burger will work. A tub of chicken livers, including all the blood that you can squeeze out of the tub. I use whole wheat flour. Mix it all up into a doeball. Do not add water. It needs a lot of needing. :) Then comes the secret stuff. Pick up a can of Hog Wild blood bait at Walmart and dump the whole tub into the mix. It stinks to high heaven. Conitnue to add flour until it don't stick to your rubber gloves. You are wearing rubber gloves aren't you? You're done. Take it fishing. Try to keep it on ice, or cool enough not to spoil. This fresh chicken and blood smell drive the channel cats wild. I caught 38 nice channels at a pay lake Thursday. I started at 7:30 and was done by noon. Just went to a nearby lake tonight. I caught one as soon as my bobber settled. Things went cold for an hour, then I found the school near a stick up. I hauled in 11 more in an hour and a half. This is my primary bait. Channels love it. Oh, don't tell anyone. The guy told me not to tell anyone because this was his secret bait. So, you guys keep the secret.

10. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    no need to worry there dogbreth I am sure your secret is safe on here with all of us:wink:. sounds like a good one:smile2:

11. gonefishing

gonefishing New Member

State:
    Near Monroe LA
    Man I bet that stuff stinks.

12. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Dogbreth, have u ever tried using chicken base? I have access to some and as soon as th waters recede enuff, I am gonna try your recipe, w/a lil chicken base. th base is oily, I think that might help some, might resort to using bulon cubes melted down, same thing. dont know if it'll help, but sounds feasable.

13. Missouribreaks

Missouribreaks New Member

State:
    missouri
    I like the sound of "dogbreth"s" recipe. all available ingredients here in whitetail country. i bet that fresh blood does the trick. when i make dog biscuts I use the blender to do the wet stuff, then transfer to big mixer with dough hook and then add flour. Keep the lid tight on that blender! Wow!

14. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Jtrew I've told ppl for over 30 years catfish bait don't need to stink. But for some reason everyone thinks catfish like smelly baits. Catfish like fresh baits weather is be livers or bait fish or any other bait. You will get more hits on baits that smell like they are suppose to over one that smell rotten.

If I'm fishing with livers and they get hot,out they go. Cut bait is used no longer then an hour after it's dead or out it goes.
    If it stinks I won't fish with it,that smelly bait is for ppl who don't know any better. LOL

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    If I caught a fish on something that smelled like a 3 week dead polecat in the middle of August I aint sure I would even touch the fish much less eat it.:confused2:

16. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Dogbreath---Garnish with lime wedges, and serve with chips.

17. withone72

withone72 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hey dogbreth what pay lake where u fishing at.