Home Made Carp Bait

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by Rockabilly-Angler, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Daniel C Schneeberger

Daniel C Schneeberger Member

State:
    New Castle Indiana
    Name:
    Dan Schneeberge
    I even timed it at my local pond temps were varying through some on the side of the bank and timed it was roughly the same and like I said it will cast a country mile and never really dries out just let it get back to room temp before using

BCT likes this.
  2. Rockabilly-Angler

Rockabilly-Angler Well-Known Member

State:
    Michigan
    Name:
    Allen
    Yeah one of the things I like about a good pack bait is it stays on during cast a LOT easier ! You guys ever see the stuff they have in England that breaks down in the water allowing you to pack it all in a material that's made of some type of Corn Starch I think, and it dissolves in the water so that after the cast it allows it to bust up a little easier and probably would work well with a particle bait too.

3. BajaManitoba

BajaManitoba Member

State:
    North Dakota
    Name:
    put first name
    If I want to catch carp, I put some sweet corn on a hook, put it in a one-ounce cup, add more sweet corn, some sweet corn juice, and freeze. I then cast into our local river, with enough weight to take the bait to the river bed. The corn juice melts, and goes downstream, and the carp go upstream towards the corn! Other things can be used for the freezing part...molasses, almost anything carp would like. You'll also catch channel cats with this. If you want to catch more catfish and fewer carp, use the same technique, but put a piece of beef liver on the hook, and fill the cup with puree'd chicken liver, and freeze. You'll need a good cooler, and extra ice, to keep things frozen for a 1-hour fishing expedition.

Rockabilly-Angler likes this.
  4. Rockabilly-Angler

State:
    Michigan
    Name:
    Allen
    I've thought about Molasses it works out good huh?

5. cat seeker 374

cat seeker 374 Well-Known Member

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Name:
    jacob
    Molasses is a classic carp catcher. I use it when I am feeling cheap and dont want to use the wb&t flavorings I usually use such as in flavoring particle baits (feed corn, tiger nuts, bird seed, etc.). You can get dried molasses for verry cheap and it works just as well (even better than regular molasses in the case of pack bait). The only downside I have found is it tends to sour pretty quick due to the sugar content... and it makes bait extremely sticky.

6. Rockabilly-Angler

State:
    Michigan
    Name:
    Allen
    That sounds pretty ideal though really! When it sours have you ever landed Bullhead or Channel Cats?

7. cat seeker 374

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Name:
    jacob
    I haven't noticed an uptick in either. I have noticed a general decline in bites of all species Tho. Some like to use soured baits... I myself have never liked them. In my book fresh is always best. But that's just me. Some swear by them even adding things like vodka to help the fermentation process. The science is there and I can see why it might work but it's just not something I have confidence in.

8. cat seeker 374

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Name:
    jacob
    Wacker baits sells dried molasses for about a buck a pound. I can vouge for its effectiveness personally (the fish below and many others have been caught on it) and the 5 pound bag I bought a year ago (for a whopping $5) is still flavoring baits to this day. There hooks and flavorings are also verry good imo. 20200627_230533.jpeg

pikeintheboat, twaskom and BCT like this.
  9. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    I carry several flavors of additive that I put on my bait when Carp fishing. I have bottles of Pineapple, Grape, Strawberry and some HOT pepper stuff. I do better with the strawberry but that may be because I use it more.

What I have is in small bottles bad I learned quickly that is I used the spray pump I was going to waist a lot of juice. If I tried to pour it on it would be even more wasteful. I want to coat the bait and not the ground. So, I remove the lid and dip my fake Corn bait into the juice. Works great. Just don't knock the bottle over.

I will do more testing with the hot juice. Who would have thunk it.

BCT, cat seeker 374 and primitivefrn like this.
  10. cat seeker 374

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Name:
    jacob
    Some really like chili powder. I use it in the fall and in my feed corn sometimes. You cant go wrong with strawberry! I really like tutti frutti and mulberry myself, I've found it does better in areas that receive angling pressure from other carp anglers.

twaskom likes this.
  11. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Jacob, I haven't tried Mulberry but may have a bottle of tutti fruity. We used to have an outstanding bait shop here in Indy. "West Side Bait Shop." The closed a while back but they carried the best selection of carl gear and liquid attractants I have ever seen. Really a great place. But since I can't carry 20 or 30 different flavors I was slowly working my way thru them. But they are no longer there. Still I have enough to last me a good long while.

I like (Big Caro Tackle) and have several things from them but I think their website is a super pain in the keister. It seems to me they just make things hard to find.

Do you have any good sources for gear?

cat seeker 374 likes this.
  12. cat seeker 374

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Name:
    jacob
    Yea bct (the site not the member lol) can be a real pain in the arse to navigate. Try using the search bar instead of the categorys... as for gear suppliers, I use wacker bait and tackle for most of my bait and terminal tackle but the only rod suppliers I have found are bct and Harris sports mail. Everything else I can usually find on ebay international. If your bored you can check out sites like monster carp tackle, k1 baits, wicked carp (either bait or company... cant remember), and linear baits to name a few. These all ship to the us (most us based).

13. cat seeker 374

State:
    ILLINOIS
    Name:
    jacob
    I'm partial to wacker baits (in case you didn't notice lol), there old location was less than 40 minutes away from me. One of the owners gave me ALOT of tips and information when I was just starting out.

twaskom likes this.
  14. twaskom

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Thanks Jacob, I'll keep Wacker Bait in mind.

cat seeker 374 likes this.