Home Made Bait Tank.

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Ace, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Ace

Ace New Member

State:
    Gastonia N
    I hope I am post this in the right place it been a while since I have posted on here.I have a new home made bait tank I started building this past winter and finished in the spring.

This bait tank has done a great job for me this fishing season keeping my bait alive.I have used it several times to transport live bream from the lake to my home where I have been stocking the new pond I had dug.I have had over 100 bream in it for 6 hours and never lost any.One of the main things fish need is plenty of oxygenated water and keep the water temperature cool.I decided to make a double wall bait tank to help control the water temperature.I chose to use two plastic drums one 55 gallon and one 40 gallon the 40 in side the 50.I made the inside 40 gallon drum 3/4 of an inch shorter than the out side drum to allow for a 3/4 plywood top to sit flush.I centered up the inside drum and used a pice of 1/2 OSB to keep the inside drum round when I sprayed the Styrofoam in the walls to islate the walls.I laid the open end of the out side drum on the plywood and marked it with pencil.Then I took my jig saw and sawed 1/8 inside the circle that I made with the pencil.This allows for the wall thickness of the out side.Then I took a sander cleaned up the sawed surface to make it fit inside the drum . Next cut out a door leaving the thickness of both drum walls around the inside parameter of the door. This makes the door flush with the inside wall.Then I primed and painted both sides with two coats of enamel paint.I used stainless steel piano hinge and screws to fasten the top in place and the hinge.Next I installed a 12 volt 750 GPH pump with a stainless screen on the inlet. I made a spray bar from 1/2 pvc and capped the ends on the spray bar {T}The over all length was 12 inches.I drilled a series of 1/8 holes 1/2 apart.I mounted a 12 volt double line air pump on top of the cover and I drilled a 1/4 hole thru the cover.I ran one hose in the tank with a 3 inch air stone then I drilled and tapped a 10/32 hole for a 1/8 hose fitting in the 90 degree joint to inject air into the water as it is circulated in the tank.I also plumed the tank with two shut off valves so I can close one and open the other to empty the tank.I think this about covers it I have some pics and a video I made to day of the tank.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Video
    http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb58/Icon1948/?action=view&current=BaitTankVideo7-7-2007.flv

2. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Outstanding Bait tank you made Ace.

Great pictures of the building process, and a very good Video also..

Many thanks for sharing with all the Boc Brothers and Sisters.

I hope that the Moderators will add your Bait Tank to the Boc Library..

Well done my friend...

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nice job and reps to ya.

4. duckriverdave

duckriverdave New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Excellent work on the live bait box. Great pics and video!!

drd

5. Reckinball

Reckinball New Member

State:
    NC
    Very nice live well. I have a 20 gallon tank that my pump just went out on so i will try to build one similar to the one you constructed..Thanks for the great pictures and video:wink: