Home Made Bait Tank

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by TnRivershark, Nov 30, 2009.

1. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    It is made out of a 140 gal tank, 5 gallon bucket, 500 gph bildge pump, 500 gph airetor pump, 3/4 hose, bucket lid, 3/4 pvc, power converter, quilt batting(filter material), JB Weld for connections on bucket
    1)Building the filter-Run your intake hose into your bucket to make a gravity feed filter, the pipe the is going vertical make it atleast 3 inches lower than your water line. I glued some small pieces of wood the same heigth as the bildge pump to support the filter. Take the bucket lid and cut so it can fit inside the 5 gal bucket and drill a bunch of 3/8 holes for water to flow thru and stack the quilt batting on top of the lid.
    2)Building the spray bar-use 2) 10 in. pcs of 3/4 pvc and join together with a T and glue caps on each end of the bar dill 3 1/8 holes (that is how I got the best pressure).
    3)airetor- If you are going to put alot of bait in the tank you could add another bar.
    4)water treatment-I use enough better bait for the chlorine and add about 8 cups of salt.
    The one spray bar is enough for 3 dozen shad with out adding the airetor pump.
    I hope that this helps I'm sure I missed a step if you need some help send me a PM. I have only keep bait in it for a few at a time, if you plan on extended stay for them you will need to do something about ammonia in the water.
    Good Luck :0a26:

2. More pic's!!! Let's see this in action! Especially that filter.:big_smile:

I tried using a bilge pump like that and it burned out on me from running continuously.:confused2:

3. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    I use a rule and still have to replace about every other year, it will be a bit before I can get you some pics of it in action. It is pretty good chore to get all of the water out of it and to clean up.

4. festus

festus New Member

Your bait tank looks better than some I've seen in bait shops, Kevin. Good work.....Reps on the way.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  5. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Nice setup bro. Rep sent.

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Nice setup, seems well planned out and built.

7. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Very nice setup!

8. Catman50plus

Catman50plus New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    That is a great set up. The one I made, is from and dont laugh an old chest type freezer, and I used a 3 gal. bucket, with pea gravel and a powerhead for an aquarium, I just put the strainer end of the power head on a pipe, put it at the bottom of the bucket, and it worked great, it kept surface tension broken, injected air as well, and it kept the water nice and clear, but, pray you don't have a power failure with 300 perch in it, found out it was not a good thing. They shut the power down to put up a new station, and I missed it in the paper, or would have used a bilge pump that night....

9. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    nice looking set up man.... i may barrow that idea whenever i build mine...

10. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    If you need any help just send me a message:roll_eyes:

11. katmax

katmax New Member

State:
    griffin ga
    that looks like a good idea...thanks

12. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Very informative. thanks Kevin

13. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    That is a bad-ass bait tank. You should be proud of that one! :cool2:

14. ammo warrior

ammo warrior Member

State:
    Columbia, MO
    O...M...G... that is horrible. I bet that was real nasty :eek:oooh:

15. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    The best thing to do is buy a pond pump instead of a bilge pump. They will last a lot longer, cost about the same, and are designed to run continuously. I have one in my 130 gallon bait tank and it has been working for about three years now 24/7 keeping perch, bream, crappie, and largemouth alive for bait.

From October through March my tank will hold perch and bream for months. July and August are the toughest months as those water temps rise into the 80's. Usually by then I can catch bait as I need it and only house it for a few days.

If you keep the tank outside, try to place it on shaded north side of your house if possible. This really helps reduce heat build-up in the summer and cuts down on algae growth.

One more trick for you city folks with chlorinated water; collect your rain water from your gutters. I have a pipe running off my gutters into my bait tank. This is the cleanest water you can get, and there are no chemicals that you have to balence out.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  16. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    we wouldnt laught...Theres alot of people that use chest freezers...simple and cheap!!

17. altcatmaster

altcatmaster New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    As I have recently moved I have my bait tank stored at my friends but mine is a stairstep system made from plastic 55 gal drums. I cut one drum leaving it approx 2/3 tall the next is cut about half and the third is about a quarter of a barrel. Approx. 8" down from the top of the big barrel I drilled a hole and afixed a piece of 1/2 in pvc pipe straight out 6 inches, the barrel is placed on double blocks to raise it off the floor, the half barrel has a pvc pipe mounted the same as the big barrel and is placed on one coarse of block now the quarter barrel is drilled on the side at the bottom and a drain valve is installed. Fillthe two barrels with the pipes with rain water up to the bottom of the pipe the bottom small barrel fill it within a couple inches of the top and submerge a ornamental pond pump having the discharge go into the top barrel, as the top barrel gets full the water will run out of the top barrel into the second via the pipe and when the second fills it will spill into the bottom barrel and start the process all over again now depending on how much bait you have and the size in the top barrels will determine how often to change the water in the bottom barrel to keep the ammonia down..Hope this helps mine has been running since 2004

18. TnRivershark

TnRivershark New Member

State:
    M,boro Tn.
    when you go back and visit it post some pics we would like to see how it works.

19. altcatmaster

altcatmaster New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    No problem its self arrating and easy to change water

20. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

Looks really nice Kevin!:cool2: