Home-made bait/chum

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by Dmitri, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was thinking of making some home-made bait but my plans later changed to making a chum that if needed I could take some stalkings to hold it and use it as bait. The question is: what should I put in it? I am going to pour a 50 lb. bag of cracked corn and 50 lb. bag of chicken scratch into an old trash bin or one of the old oil drums I have. I plan on filling it with some water and yeast. I realize this alone will be fine, but I want to make something a little more special. Does anyone have some suggestions on anything else I could use? I was considering some chunked alf alfa cubes to add more volume to the mixture and maybe a couple bags of shredded cheese, but what else could be used to make it extra nasty to attract some cats?

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

you could add anything you wanted really your base sounds pretty good I would add some milk and possibly some ground shad are gills.

3. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I considered that but then thought that the chum will have so much volume in it that I would have to get a lot of shad or bluegill for it to make much of a difference in the recipe.

4. rat fink

rat fink New Member

State:
    illinois
    you can trade 1/2 the water for blood if you have the connections to get enoufe of it

5. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    That is a great idea. I have an Amish buddy who brings me fresh chickens the day they are plucked and drained. I already have him bringing me all of the hearts and livers for bait so I will ask for a bucket or bag of blood.

6. Dmitri

Dmitri New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Going to pick up the Cracked Corn and stuff tomorrow, I'll keep you updated on how well it works.

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Try some cod liver oil that should give it an oily fishy smell and taste to the fish

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Get some chicken guts, let them set out so the flies can blow them. When the maggots have eaten most of the guts, dump it all into your chum and stir it up good. Also, I've always heard from the old riverrats (even older than me!) that chicken guts make an excellent catfish bait; I just haven't been able to get any to try. If you should try them, please post your results.

9. kendale

kendale New Member

State:
    kansas
    i use cracked corn some cheap beer and and 2 bottles of boones strawberry hill, and chedar cheese in a 5 gal bucket. with a lid and leave in the sun for a week.it gets verry ripe but boy does it work.