Home grown tomatoes

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by samh, Jun 23, 2006.

1. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I'm ready for a ripe 'mater out of the garden. I've got a bumper crop coming on, lots of good look'n 'maters, big as a baseball, but as hard as I watch'em, they just stay green. Squash is producing great, been eat'n and canning green beans, cabbage is gone, corn is a couple of weeks away, wife is making pickles right now, got fresh peppers and onions, but I want a fresh 'mater. I know it won't be long now, but I'm ready now.

2. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    I know what you mean Sam. Mine are 6' tall and loaded with green ones, I'm ready for them too. But like you said it won't be long.:big_smile:

3. beeheck

beeheck New Member

State:
    Iowa / Missouri
    Same thing I've got, lots of green ones and flowers for new ones but they stay green and laugh at me. Going on vacation in a week and I think knowing my luck they will turn while I'm gone. My father in law can smell my ripe tomatoes a mile a way and can be in and out of my garden in just a few seconds with a bag under his arm full of my finest. He loves the yellow tomatoes as they have less acid and are just smoother eating. Oh well, guess I was born to grow tomatoes for him. lol:lol:

4. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Love and homegrown tomatoes!
    I had my first ones with dinner tonight!

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Beeheck! I have a cabin on the river up that way and if you would like i'd be glad to help your father in law pick your tomatoes for you while your gone cause it would be a shame to let them go to wast after all the hard work you have done! Its the only christian thing to do for a brother now. Whats your address? L.O.L.Love them Maters.Bigcatman0816.:big_smile:

6. Myname

Myname New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I am not an envious person, normally, but I am surely envious of you right now.:smile2:

Have a nice day.

7. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    We've had ripe ones for about a week to week & a half now. Probably picked a couple of dozen already. The first ones were kinda small, but now they're getting to be good sized. But 3 of my plants have a horrible blight. I've sprayed em. I'll just have to wait & see. My 4th plant still looks really good, but it's a different type. They're all covered in green ones. Boy, when they start making, they make all at once, don't they? Rusty, you're gonna be a busy boy!!!

8. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Like the rest of you I just seem to keep on waitin. Mine is green as green can be.Guess were just to far North to be able to enjoy them this early.Hopefully before too long . Got to watch those pesky wabbits,they sure do like eating on those red ripe maters. Seems like they always pick on the biggest one to.

9. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Went out tonight just before dark and checked the tomatoes, looks like I'm going to get about a dozen "ripe" ones tomorrow, kinda running a little late for here, but I'm ready for'em to start. Feel like a kid on Christmas eve.

10. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

my plants have already produced about 50 ripe tom's yellow, blue and beefeater but the italian and roman haven't started turning yet. Wild muskadine ans scupidine (spelling) along with wild strawberry have taken over the fence at the back of my property also.

11. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    We got our first ripe one's about three days ago, man are they good. All of mine are Beefstak, and two sweet 100 cherry tomatos.

12. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    We have been eating ripe tomato's for awhile now. I mostly use them in salsa that I make. Keeping enough peppers is my only problem, as it takes so many for my salsa...

Love those fried green tomato's too...yuuummmm..

13. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    Got a half a dozen ripe 'maters off the vines today, finally, eat two of them before I got back in the house, told the wife there was just 4, they sure were tasty !!!!!

14. kbgrillin

kbgrillin New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I do like eatin' ripe tomatoes, but fried green 'maters, man , you can't beat 'em.

15. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Hey.....pictures!Pictures! I wanna see new pictures, Rusty! (and what are you doing up so early?)
    Baitfish? I had a tomato sandwich,again!, for lunch today! Sorry!:lol: