Home from Murray trip

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by steve_b124, Mar 19, 2009.

1. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Just got back from a trip to Murray with dad and his buddy Larry. We got there Tuesday morning and came home today. Had a great time being out with dad. I got there early Tuesday and decided to go up stream from Black's Bridge to scout it out. Did not find any cats, but got into some stripers and caught 3 in the 6 to 8 pound range. After dad got there we down lake, he in his bass boat and Larry in my boat. Dad bass fished with no luck at all. Larry and I caught several cats, the biggest about 15 lbs. That evening I went back up river and caught another striper and about 25 white perch.

By the way, there was no herring or shad to be found Tuesday and Wednesday. I had some frozen to use or we would have been out of luck. George had some real small herring this morning.

Wednesday morning dad wanted to cat fish out of his boat while we fished from mine. The bite was scattered and very light that day. I managed about 6, but had to work hard for them. Lots of bites, but few hook-ups. Again, dad went all day with no bites.

This morning I told him to go with me, I was going to get him on some fish. He did not feel very well, so we only fished 2.5 hours, but I got him on 6 good cats, the best 16 lbs. I baited up for him, took the fish off for him, just acted the guide for him. He had a ball. The big one he caught was his best ever cat. Every rod that went down, I gave to him except one that tangled up and I hand lined the fish in.

I believe that I could have caught a lot if I could have fished all day, but dad was not feeling well, his hands were swelling up bad. He had to take some of his fluid pills and did not want to fish anymore, so I packed him up, loaded his boat and mine and came on in. I really loved being out with him and putting him on some fish. I made a couple of pictures, I may try to download them later.

Him at 70 years old and with a failing heart, I may not get to enjoy times like this often. I will remember this time for ages. His buddy just lost a leg in a car wreck. It was funny watching one old man taking care of two older men.

River Winds landing was a nice place to stay. The cabins are comfortable and clean, with docks and front of them and a cleaning shed. The boys beside us caught a 5 gallon bucket of nice crappie fishing from the bank under the bridge.

God Bless All,
    Steve

2. Sunbird

Sunbird New Member

State:
    Sandy Run,
    Steve I'm glad you were able to make more great memories with your Dad! Glad ya'll caught some fishes and had a good time enjoying each others company.:wink:

3. Ricky DuBose

Ricky DuBose New Member

State:
    sc
    hey steve, glad you and your father had a good time, wish I had fished more with mine more before he passed back in 99 almost 10 yrs seems like yesterday. I striper fish alot and 3 keepers on murray with frozen bait is a good day. don't want to know the very spot but did you fish between blacks and kempsons bridge or go on above kempsons(next bridge up stream from blacks). we are thinking of striper fishing murray this sat. thanks for any info and i would understand if you didn't reply

4. Ricky DuBose

Ricky DuBose New Member

State:
    sc
  5. steve_b124

steve_b124 New Member

State:
    south carolina
    Ricky, I caught them about a half mile above Black's in a flat about 16 feet deep. I caught them on a pencil popper, white with a red head. The had shad coralled up in the area and were busting the surface like crazy. I fished the popper fast and aggresively. The fish really busted it when they hit. They were a heck of a fight on my bass rod.

Steve

6. Ricky DuBose

Ricky DuBose New Member

State:
    sc
    thanks steve great info:smile2:

7. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Steve glad to hear that you got to spend a few hours out with you Dad fishin. I know you or him will never forget it.

8. pop pop

pop pop New Member

State:
    Lake Green
    Awesome job Steve!:wink: Life is to short and goes way by way to fast. Glad ya got on some cats.:wink:

9. tigerman

tigerman New Member

State:
    lowcountry , sc
    Thanks

10. SC Backwoods Baitman

SC Backwoods Baitman New Member

State:
    Union,South Carolina
    Steve man it sounds like you all had a great time. Thanks for the report. See ya soon.

11. Big_cat_hunter

Big_cat_hunter New Member

State:
    Saluda, SC
    Thanks for the great report and I hope all is well with your dad. My mom developed cancer a few years back and I had the chance to take her fishing (her favorite thing to do) up Little River one afternoon. She caught a few good bream and a big mudfish. She and I had the best time together. A few months later she was gone. :sad2: I'm glad we made a lasting memory that day.