Home from camping trip 8 2 08

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA RIVERS TALK' started by Bill in SC, Aug 2, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Well, we made it home shorty after lunch today. The bite was very slow as the water temperature was EIGHTY SEVEN degrees, even after midnight! River was VERY LOW, but I have seen it lower. Caught a pile of bream on the river for bait late yesterday afternoon. All went well except I forgot my aerator! Fortunately I had my trusty 5 gallon bucket, so about every 30 minutes I would dip water out of the bait tank, and replenish it with fresh. It wasn't too bad. Did not lose a single bream to stress. I let my 9 year old grandson navigate the boat some. He seems to be a natural, and doesn't try to act crazy while at the tiller. Now to the catfishin'! We camped down at buzzard's bar right at Three Creeks. This locale is right below my honey hole. We eased up to our spot right before dark. Set out all six of my rods with live bream. Finally after dark we caught a 4# blue. About an hour later, Justin landed his first flathead, at 9#. About an hour after that, I caught an 18# male blue. After that, the bite shut down. We didn't move any last night. I figured with no aerator, running the river with a 9 year old, and fishing live bait on all my rods, it would be too complicated to move around. We finally hit the tent at about 3 am. Woodpeckers woke me up shortly after daybreak. I let Justin sleep for about 45 more minutes, and then woke him to continue fishing. Caught one "fresh water Marlin" as James calls them. (gar). I told Justin we ought to cut his head off and put it on a fire ant hill to clean it up for us. He was all for that, but I couldn't bring myself to kill it, and threw it back in. In retrospect, I wish I would have went ahead and cut his head off. Would have been an interesting project for Justin, but I just hate killing things. No catfish bites this morning. We started gathering up stuff at about 10, and got off the river right before noon. The trip was a great success for Justin's first night ever camping out. Here are a few pics we took. One shows just how low our end of the river is. One is Justin holding a huge clam he found. One pic of him at the tiller. And... a couple of fish pics.
    BB in SC

Attached Files:

2. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Fishes! BTW: It's hard to get good night fish pics. The subject does not show up in the viewfinder, thus it's hard to get the whole deal.
    BB in SC

Attached Files:

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bill looks like yall had a gret trip. The water is super low but dont worry it should be on the way I hope. Lake Tillery and Blewett Falls are at flood stage so hopefully that will give us some good water for the fish-n-camp in a few weeks.

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    What James said, Bill. Thanks for the report and pics. Maybe they will release a little water down our way, along with some cooler temps.
    James, I made a trip up to the tanyard area a week or two back, but didn't see any of those fish jumping at the time. Could have been because of the higher water level and cooler temps at the time when you saw them, but if you see them again, let me know.

5. SWAMPRAT

SWAMPRAT New Member

State:
    south carolina
    looks like yall had a good time Bill. tell your grandson congrats on the first flathead. i was going tonight but the storm messed me up (wasnt gonna leave the wife and little boy in it by theirselves) maybe i can make it in the morning with report to follow up..( reports in school sucked, but if school was like fishing reports maybe i would have liked school a lot more!!!)

6. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    I can't wait till my son gets a little older to take him and do things like that. Even though you may not have caught alot I bet he had a ball. I bet the ol'man did too.

7. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    ok Bill..... gotta question how far are you from the Atlantic? The reason I'm asking is because my kids want to play around in the ocean before they go back to school... so my mind started working:)crazy:) and I thought hmmm!:cool2: If your interested and live close enough to the Alantic and it's a go (I got my wife 90% talked into it) I'll finance the outing NEXT WEEKEND !!!! What cha think???

8. drpepper

drpepper New Member

State:
    Indiana
    LOL, WAIT scratch that already... It would have to be during the week,, like we'd leave on a Monday or Tues... something like that and we'd have to be home by Friday night. My wife puts her 40 hrs in on weekends and she just realized she don't have enough vacation time.... sooo. are ya that spontaneous? lol

9. fishwillie1

fishwillie1 New Member

State:
    Pamplico S.C.
    Well Bill it looks like you have a new fishin partner hope pegleg don't
    get jealous. Thanks for the pics and the report hope to see you soon.

10. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    Thanks for the pics and the report. Sounds like you two had alot of fun.

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Congrats on a great trip and wonderful time spent with your Grandson! Thanks for the report and pics.

12. crome

crome New Member

State:
    ilm,nc
    Sounds like ya'll had a great trip!