home built logsplitter

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by JERMSQUIRM, Nov 13, 2007.

1. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    well i have $900 in this now and its done other than the log crane i have to weld up. i have everything to build it but ill need another lever to run the cylinder to lift heavy logs up to 600lbs and 4' in diam and 23" thick. so about a grand. thats not bad concidering menards has a splitter thats only 1/3 this one for $1029.00.

mine has a 1" thick carbon steel wedge. 11 horse powerbuilt briggs engine (freebe) and a 16 gal per min hydraluic pump. a 24"stroke x4" bore 2500psi cylinder. i turned a 7 gallon air bomb into the fluid tank. has a 8' 1/2 x 8" steel beam that runs the length of the trailer. its mean. ive split logs already that were 3' diam at idle speed.

thought some of ya mechanically enclined folks would like to check it out.
    the 1/2" push plate has 1" steel teeth to grip logs from slipping and 1" steel center support with 2- 1/2". steel triangle supports.

oh and electric start with self charging.,lol its the 21century. no pulling.

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    i did spend $100 on new rims tires and wheel bearings. this is on an old boat trailer i can haul this thing to california if i need,lol. the red iron leaning against the spare tire is the beginning if the tongs to lift the big ones and the orange poles are the crane peices.

i think i have plenty of wood for this winter.,lol.

3. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thats a nice splitter my dad made a homemade one too. That one will last you alot longer than one that you could buy for 900 from a store. If you could even find one.

4. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    very nice log buster you got there. when i was growing up our log splitter was only 35 dollars and wore you out by the end of the day. but it was well worth it. taught me the meaning of hard work.

Attached Files:

5. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i bought one of them too. i used it one day and began building the 11 hp one,lol.

i can break a sweat using mine if its warm and im in the sun. notice the cup holders? one is welded right below the lever and one on each fender. there loose. havent welded those yet. you can see them in the last pic of first post,lol.

6. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jeremy, got off your thread on rabbit a little bit ago. I checked this out on your logsplitter. Read your presentation on Snapper.

I don't know what you do for a living, don't want to know, none of my business. However, I have to compliment you; you in all I have seen you do, do nothing slipshod or half-a$$ed. You do things well in the weekend warrior stuff you do. Either self employed or working for someone else, you appear to take a pride in what you do. Few and far between nowadays.

7. Ketch

Ketch New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    That's mighty fine work. I could use one of them myself. I got the old fashioned one like Sgt. has and don't care much for it anymore. Too bad my boy is so young, or I'd have the same splitter my dad did, kids.... lol

8. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    thanks fellas. i just got the tongs welded up last night and am working on the crane now. ill post a pic when i lift up on of my 500lb stumps i need to split.
    i dont have a welder so i go to the neighbors. now im taping some drywall for him for all the welding wire ive used up,lol.

im a union plasterer. i do the synthetic stucco on many new store fronts and restraunts. and raise rabbits/cut trees/build splitters/tape drywall/pour cement/paint/butcher deer/taxidermy ect.........................:crazy:

9. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    When I get so I can get down to my shop, I'll take pictures of the one I'm building. It uses a 7" x 60" stroke cylinder.

Hey I'm building it to crush propane tanks. But it will work for splitting wood too. Rather than using a 2 stage pump, I have one that pumps about 45 gallon a minute powered by a 4 cylinder John Deere motor, that came out of an old 45 combine. I'm not sure of the HP, I think it is about 50 HP.

It will do it all, and eat the fuel, probably about 1 1/2 gallons an hour. MayBe More.

That is a nice looking splitter you have built.

:big_smile::big_smile:

10. JJ Hunt

JJ Hunt New Member

State:
    MS
    Look like you plan on doing alot of firewood.

11. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Nice work Jeremy.
    Looks like you left out one title;
    "Chef"
    Yea I still remember slobbering over your reciepe posts.
    Once again great job bro.

12. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    hey keith nicr to see ya still around. havent been on as much but its nice to see some old faces.

well as far as doing a bunch of wood ,ya. we have switched to wood heat in the home as well as shop. just one of my steps in getting away from the high fuel costs. i just do not drive unless i need to. no "crusing" anymore.

and im still cooking up grub too. just got my first deer this season too. im curing a whole rump round now making a deer ham. ill post some pics when its done. has to soake in brine for 4-5days.