home built console?

Discussion in 'Boat Modification Journal' started by OkieBo, Mar 6, 2008.

1. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Has anyone built a homeade center console? pics?

2. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    I was considering it when I couldn't find one but decided to look a little harder after I priced aluminun sheets.
    I finally found one in keokuk.About 60 miles away.
    I just took the area phone book and started calling boat dealers.
    best of luck to ya
    just

3. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Bo, there's one on my Catoon I built, including the windshield. It's in my pictures. If it's not bigdetailed enough let me know and I'll take another pic and post it.

4. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    The only reason i am considering building one is the cost. The one i want is a Todd w/ bait well. It would be about 1,000.00 sent to me. 350 just in shipping. I think i could live with the homebuilt. I go for function not fashion. The catoon looks very functionable i was leaning towards fiberglass tho.

5. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Bo, you might check with overtones boat supplies they have a few models of center console's, One is a complete console with
    Two Stainless Steel Cup Holders
    Side Access Door with Latch
    Tinted Plexiglass Windshield
    Burlwood-Finish Dash Panel
    Four Lighted Rocker Switches with Fuses

And a price of $399.99 plus $80.00 shipping.

Or if you want to build your own you can check Brandens out on this thread.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68933

6. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Bo, there's a post in the members pix section, I think it's by littleMac on his console. If you're already planning on doing the glass work for your deck you might as well buy some good plywood, build your console, and then laminate it with epoxy or fiberglass resin and cloth. Once you've done that you can sand and paint it and nobody will know the difference. Might cost you $60 depending on the plywood you go with and how much resin it takes, but it'll look just as good as a "factory" unit when you get done and be custom to boot. I thought about doing it to mine but by the time it occurred to me I already had a bunch of time in the existing one that I modified.

A lot of the new aluminum jons are coming out of the factory with glass or plastic consoles so it's not like you're taking any shortcuts. If you're even moderately handy with a skil saw and glass you can make a beauty for well under 100 bones. Good luck with it!

Branden

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    For what its worth, I'd rather not have a console with a built in baitwell.
    Those baitwells aren't much more then a hole that will hold water.

A baitwell is going to be weighty since water weighs 8 pounds a gallon.
    I'd want to be ableto move it around to adjust the balance of the boat and see where it rides beast rather then it be stuck in one spot as a built in unit.

8. Catfish Fever

Catfish Fever New Member

State:
    Wside, Mil
    Mine is built from plywood, and covered with vinyl. BUT, I mounted it on pieces of Corion as a base, 1'inch thick, this gives it a chance to dry out after it gets wet. I'ts been on the Catoon four years now with no signs of rotting at the base.

9. mandingo

mandingo Member

State:
    kansas
    i had to price 3/4 treated plywood a few weeks ago and it ranged from 32-40 bucks a sheet.its good stuff,i made a couple storage boxes for the boat.i can jump up and down on them and they wont budge.aluminum is anywhere from 110-160- a sheet.

10. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Good point Mark! When the boat is loaded down in my current Aluminum boat i am glad to have a portable bait well to counter the boat getting up on plane. I might just make the space in front of the console for seating and dry storage.

11. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
  12. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yup, I'd guess looking at it they built that one in the same we're talking about or they used layers of glass to build it up. But yeah, same thing, design it the way you want it, cut it out, assemble it, and laminate it with your cloth and resin.

13. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I had a custom console build out of SHEET PVC for around 500 bucks at a locale plactics company. Its solid and had all the switch, gauge and radio holes water jetted to perfection.

the most important part, its not wood, it won't rott!!!

14. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    The only thing wrong with wood is the installer.
    "wood in a boat is bad" is one of those marketing tools used by companies that flat out refuse to install wood the right way so they talk it down.

We have many vessels made entirely of wood still afloat after 60 years.
    I can start naming those over 100 years old that are still floating that are ALL wood.

Its not wood that is bad in a boat.

Today, I would own a wood vessel quicker then I would own anything else.
    Wood has a few things going for it nothing else does.
    Without getting into engineering numbers, tensile strengths, compression strengths, ect.
    Wood naturally floats. It has bouyancy.
    You can build light with it requiring less engine.
    Its punture resistance is great and can easily be made greater with some of todays materials with virtually no addtional weight added.
    Wood can easily outlast the owner just as quick as anything else.

Go to a wooden boat show or festival. Your eyes will open.
    These things are held on the water, not in a colliseum.

15. Koon

Koon New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I thought we were talking about consoles here. I'll agree on wooden hull boats lasting, but I've yet to see a wooden console last either from a factory or home built. The one on my boat was wooden encased in fiberglass, then supported with diamond plate steel... the wood was all rotten. Maybe this is just a tracker and redneck engineering thing, lol. :smile2:

16. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    What it boils down to is a boat manufacturer isnt going to take the time or the expense of installing wood the right way on these mass produced boats.
    It cuts too deep into the profit margin. Its time consuming and the materials are more expensive.

Its just like producing cars or jet engines. The goal at the end of the day is production.

Just because you dont see manufacturers building boats out of wood doesn't mean that wood is inferior at all.
    What it means in this case is manufacturers cant put up the numbers with wood because wood is labor intensive.
    You can look at it from numerous angles but wood will always prove to the best material to build boats from because of its strength to weight ratio and less scantlings but its not manufacturer friendly.
    It drives manufacturing costs up and to try to compete against other materials the manufacturer will have to give up some profit margin and probally not be close to competing for the average guy looking for a boat.

The good news. You can build a wood or composite boat with little to no skills
    and save a ton of money depending on the size boat you build. Your savings will be on the front end and continue on the backend in operating expense.
    The larger the boat the more savings.

I can turn key a 26 foot lobster boat complete with radar for right at 30k if I hang with a mindful budget and shop smart.
    That same boat out of fiberglass at a dealer will easily cost me 3 times that and its power requirements will be double.
    But it requires patience which alot of people dont have. Working a fulltime job and having family obligations I'm looking at anywhere from 1-3 years building it by myself.
    That boat will easily last 50 years sitting on the water fulltime with routine maintenance.

Its going to really be interesting to see what boat manufacturers do and what directions they choose to go in with rising fuel costs.
    There are alot of new materials and technologies that can be utilized to put a manufacturer out front blazing trail.
    Just like people are looking to step away from the monster SUV's and get into something cheaper to operate, boats are going to be the same way or the average guy cant afford to boat .

17. dledinger

dledinger New Member

State:
    NC
    Home built consoles are very common modifications here on the coast. I always figured it would be a great project to get started working with fiberglass.....could eventually lead to boat building!

18. OkieBo

OkieBo New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    To my research my boat was built in North Carolina. The company only was in business for about two years. http://www.uscgboating.org/recalls/mic_detail.aspx?id=ISC Do you happen to know where this is? Or any boats from here?