Home Bait Tank Question

Discussion in 'Livewell and Bait Tank Review' started by KC Jayhawk 78, Dec 11, 2008.

1. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    How many days do you guys go before you you have to change your water? Ive got a 30 gallon tank an aerator rated for 100 gallons, and a filter system rated for 70 gallons. This past summer I had 20 bluegills , 12 big goldfish , and 10 dozen minnows in there, and I had to change the water once every 3 days. Next season , plan on getting a 150 gallon stock tank, and getting another aerator and filter system. I really dont want to have to keep buying filters either, so I need to figure out a way to make a filter that I can just wash out or something. What do you guys think?

2. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I use an old deep freeze that holds about 150 gallons. I just change out half of the water every week or so. I dont use any filters at all. Next year I plan to use a filter to get the water changing down to every other week.
    Id say that keepin the water cool and having as much volume as possible help out alot.

3. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Keith,

I've been using a Pondmaster pump and filter like this:
    Pump http://www.pondmasterstore.com/home/pm1/page_11_15/mag_drive_3___350_gph.html
    Filter http://www.pondmasterstore.com/home/pm1/page_158_14/pondmaster_1000_submersible_filter.html

...in a 35 gallon Rubbermaid storage tote. You can find these as a kit on Ebay for under $100 total, but the PondmasterStore had better pictures, so I linked to it. You could also make your own filter, but I highly recommend the PondMaster Mag Drive pumps, mine is still going strong after 3-4 seasons, and they will pay for themselves in electricity savings. For a home made filter, Nu-Foam, available in the Walmart fabric department, makes an excellent filter media. It's a springy polyester, sold as a foam substitute for things like outdoor chair cushions, that holds it's shape and can be washed over and over.

It's normal for me to have 2-3 dozen sunfish in my tank, and often more, with few problems. What I found is that the bait would make most of their mess within the first few days, so I'd clean the filter pad and change the water 2-3 days after adding bait, and then I could get by with just a filter cleaning and partial water change every couple of weeks. When I added additional sunfish, I'd just quarantine them in another tank with only an air stone (cheap aquarium pump) and no filter for a couple of days and then move them over. With a tank the size you are talking, you should be able to go months without a water change.

4. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    Once a week, depending on the amount of crap on the bottom, I use my shop vac and collect the crud off the bottom. Then add a cap full of ammonia eliminator stuff from PetCo.

5. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    The reason your water getsw nasty quickly is because of the goldfish. They are super dirty fish. I will change the water in my storage tote about every 2 or 3 days, but I don't have a filter for it. I try not to put goldfish and suckers in there for to long before I use them.

6. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Rig you up a sand filter system. Definitely not the smallest system you can use, but it's efficient, and :smile2: 'dirt cheap'. Depending on the surface area of your filter, you can simply scrape off the top 1/2" or so of the sand every day or week, and you're back in business. Add sand as necessary. When I lived in Florida, I had my septic tank rigged up to one of those instead of a drain field. When the sewer system came through and the county said I had to hook up to it, I had the county engineer come out and inspect the system, and he said it was more efficient than the system the county was using, so they couldn't make me hook up to the county sewer.

7. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    You can buy an above ground cartridge type pool filter for 30 to 35 bucks, and just wash out the cartridge once a week, and change half the water every other week. Mine is about 120 gallon, and I normally keep 3 to 6 dozen bluegill and goldfish all summer, and have lost very, very few. I don't feed unless they have been in quite a while.

8. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky
    check your boc sponsors! youll find what you need there. a system specificaly designed to hold large loads of bait or fish!

makes me sad! ive been a sponsor on the boc for a year. and ppl still dont know bout this product!

9. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    i just use a big fish tank..........RAT

10. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    THE AQUA-LUNG !! talk to steve douglas he is a sponsor here on the boc he can tell you what you need to know.. great product!!!

11. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Steve,

I've always tried to plug the Akwa-Lung system for livewells, for example here, http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1253019#post1253019 , but it's not usually on my radar for bait tanks.... for some reason I thought it was more for short term use than for extended operation. After reading back through your section I'm not sure why I thought that, and for my part I'll do a better job of mentioning it when bait tank questions come up.

What do you recommend for a pump when using the Akwa-Lung for a home (120 volt) bait tank?

12. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    sorry steve.. didnt know you had already posted..:wink: i push it when i can !!:cool2:

13. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    No offense Steve, but your web site is not very informative, and does not give any prices. According to you own disclaimer, its not even the kind of system I was looking for.

I'm not knocking your product, I just don't know anything about it,.... but that is kinda my point.