Holy Carp!

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by pincheweddo, Apr 8, 2007.

1. pincheweddo

pincheweddo New Member

State:
    Texas
    What the h#!! is it?

I caught this on Lake Whitney this last Friday just before the blizzard. It is not like the carp I have seen in my past. It weighed in at 28lbs.:big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Looks like cut bait to me!

Seriously, I dont know what kind of carp it is and I do in fact like to eat carp from time to time.
    But thats a nice fat carp! Thanks for sharing the photo!

3. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    im not sure but i think it's a buffalo carp i culd be wrong but thats what it looks like to me

4. Dnedster

Dnedster New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Looks like a drum a big 1

5. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    wow thats a big boy!!!!(or girl) ya that looks like a drum or buffalo to me. either way nice catch!!

6. ravenloft420

ravenloft420 New Member

State:
    mo
    what did you catch that big ol thing on??

7. hnterrcc1951

hnterrcc1951 New Member

State:
    indiana
    it looks like a buffalo to me, suppose to be good eating!! hnterrcc1951:big_smile:

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thats a big old buffalo I think

9. pincheweddo

pincheweddo New Member

State:
    Texas
    My own mix I made. I usually just use anything I find in the cabnet that will make a good conglomerate (like concrete with different size stuff in it). The first four are required, then it is just what ever you find in the cabnet to make it hold together. I call it "Sweet Brown Anise".

1. Cheap Corn Flakes
    2. Brown sugar
    3. Jello any flavor
    4. Anise Extract

5. Wheat bran
    6. Flour
    7. Protein Power (this worked REALLY GOOD)
    8. Corn bread mix
    9. Dried bread crums
    10. Seseme Seeds

The protein power made this stuff get so hard I had to get my knife after it. I kept missing bites all day and then I figured out I was using too much. So I sized it down to about a marble size inside of a #4 treble with all 3 hooks showing very well. Got him on the second strike after trying this.

My wife still is pissed cause all the catfish bait we buy dosen't catch nothing but turtles and left over crap out of the kitchen cabinet produces more fun.:tounge_out:

10. pincheweddo

pincheweddo New Member

State:
    Texas
    The lips on this criter is what is throwing me off.

Attached Files:

11. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    It's a buffalo, unfortunately, can't quite tell if it's a black or a smallmouth. No relation to carp at all.
    As for the lips, just by looking at them I can tell that the lake has a very rocky bottom. In buffaloes and carp, the lips toughen up while they're foraging for food.
    Will

12. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Yep, definitely a buffalo. CoonX, isn't the Black buffalo normally fairly small? Heres a pic of the smallmouth.

13. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    Depends on the lake about the average size. If there's overcrowding and poor biomass, then the fish will be smaller. But if the lake is fertile and has a good biomass and enough predators to keep the population down, the average size will be larger.
    But as to the average size of the different buffaloes in the water system, I'll admit my average size for black buffalo is only 10lbs, while the average for smallmouth buffalo is around 15lbs. But my averages are also a bit skewed, in that I've only caught 2 black buffaloes, while I've caught dozens of of the smallmouths.

14. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Like the previous posters said, definitly a Buff, and a nice one. I had a couple this weekend but no 28lb ones. They don't fight the same as the carp though, and they are very slimey.

15. pincheweddo

pincheweddo New Member

State:
    Texas
    I found out this morning that the lake contains small mouth buffaloes and the lake record is 29lbs and 37" long! I didn't know that or I would been looking for Ranger Rick to get an offical measurement.

So tell me the difference between a Buffalo and a Carp?

16. mcwrestler

mcwrestler New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Different classification scientifically, just like Grass carp are not the same as common carp, and neither are silver or bighead carp, although the later 2 are related. Mnay similar characteristics, but I guess it is like a walleye and a bass, both fish, both predators, different species. Where a smallmouth bass and a largemouth bass are different but related, like silver and bighead carp. As far as fighing and biting, the are very subtle on the pickup compared to the run of a common carp. They travel in groups and some days while fishing for carp I have ran into schoals of Buffalo, which ment alot of small bites but no takes, and the only ones I hooked were out of frustration, they would peck at it and I would whip the rod as hard as I could. They really lack the fight of the carp, they more or less just tug, although I am sure a big one puts up a fight. Nice color on them though, just frustrates me when the carp bite is turned off as a group of them move through.

17. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio

yep looks like bait to me.
    but its a buffalo sucker.

18. fishallday927

fishallday927 New Member

State:
    illinois
    nice fich i bet it put up a hell of a fight its a fatty

19. pincheweddo

pincheweddo New Member

State:
    Texas
    He did fight, as well as some of the stripers that I have caught. I have my drag set at 10lbs. and he was yanking it out with out a problem. I think he would have done better on the fighting had we been in a little deeper water.

20. LITTLE FISH

LITTLE FISH New Member

State:
    New Paris, Ohio
    Dang thats a big 1 i do alot of carp fishing but i have never seen 1 that big!!!! :big_smile: