Holloway Reservoir in Michigan

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by mkf350, May 13, 2006.

1. mkf350

mkf350 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Anyone fish this area? If so you doing any good?

2. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    I've only fish the Res. twice this Spring, right below the dam. Only caught two small channels. They catch a few walleye below the dam also. I found , the best time to fish below the dam is from 4:30am til about 10:am. That way you don't have so many fisherman to contend with. That area gets alot of pressure.
    Sparky

3. michiganwhitetailRLM

michiganwhitetailRLM New Member

State:
    MI
    Hey Sparky! My Name Is Rick And I Live In Lapeer County, Man Did You Hit That Right On The Nose About The Hollaway Res. The Fishing Pressure Is Insane. Ive Caught Some Nice Cats Out Of The Dam Area But Nothing To Brag About. I Was Out There The Night Before Last And Hooked Into A Couple Of Huge Walleye On A Red And Silver Rapalla But Lost Them In The Strong Current Sorry I Couldnt Reply Sooner But Ive Only Been A Member For 3 Days . Glad To See Someone Knows The Same Waters As Me, Good Luck Brother!!!rick

4. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Welcome Aboard Rick! I don't know if you are an old time catman or not, but this site has a wealth of information on it. All of the members are willing to share what ever they know to help out another fisherman.
    Do you fish Mott lake much? Or better yet, what is your primary water shed you fish?
    Sparky

5. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    michiganwhitetailRLM and mkf350:

First, Welcome to the BOC fellas! This place really is a cool place for info- you will not be disappointed. Second, this group of michigan guys is top-notch. I have met everyone here just by posting and planning just like you both have, and have fished with amost every michigan guy on this site. Each one has given me their own good reason to say that every michigan bro is welcome on my boat any time. Im serious- you're in great company.

Sparky lives closest to the res- Ive fished there twice and since Im a country-living-guy, the crowds did nothing for me. I can catch small to medium carts in peace and quiet elsewhere. That res just looks SO DARN PROMISING, so like any fisherman (who is merely a food-gambler if you really consider the essence of the sport), I will likely go back again.

If youre ever out near the center of the state and looking for a place to fish, just let me know. Post your plans online and perhaps you will meet some other fellas from this state. That is how it worked out for me!

Good luck to you both.

:big_smile: I wish you well.

Sal

6. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    hey Sparky! I Am Only 35 So I Am Not That Old Of A Cat Man!! But There Is Something About Cat Fishing That Keeps Me On The Water At Night Time. I've Never Fished Mott Lake But I Know Where It Is At And I Hear There Are Some Big Fish In There. I Don't Have A Boat So I Am Stuck Fishing Off Shore. Is There Access For An Offshore Fisherman Like Me On Mott Lake? If So, How Do I Get There? Also, What Kind Of Fish Are People Catching Out Of There? Rick

7. michiganwhitetailRLM

State:
    MI
    sal, Know What You Mean About Crowds At The Res. And It Is Good Fishing There. I've Caught Some Nice Cats, Walleye, Pike, Bass, And Small Pan Fish But I Think I Have Caught More Tackle Than Fishing Line Than I Have Fish. It's Amazing How Much Garbage People Leave Laying Around When There Are Garbage Cans Every 40 Yards. Even Though It's Not My Trash, I Will Sometimes Have My Kids Help Me Pick It Up. Teaches Them Good Conservation. Where About In The Middle Of The State Do You Come From? Thanks For The Invite And Good Fishing!! Rick

8. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Rick,
    You said in another thread you're from Lansing. I work in St Johns and live in Ithaca and fish the maple river and Rainbow lake primarily, but will go over to muir/lyons and fish the convergence of the maple and Grand once in a while.

I am not from here originally. I spent part of my life in metro detroit (sterling Heights, warren, centerline) and spent a good 10 years in Beaverton, and Clare area.

And welcome once more. I cant tell ya what a great asset this place is to fishing, to conservation, and to friendships. In time, you'll see it firsthand, provided you stay with us and come visit and fish with us when we meet.

Sal

9. wirehead80

wirehead80 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    New to the board and man what a welth of info. I fish the Holloway Reservoir every chance I get. I am yet to come home skunked this year. :big_smile: Nothing huge but good for the smoker. (around the 2 - 2 1/2# range) To answer michiganwhitetailRLM on shore fishing at Mott Lake. Theres a few good places that are easy to get to. I'll get a map for ya and post it here.

10. wirehead80

wirehead80 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Here is the map with the most common and easiest places to get to. I hope that it gives you a rough idea on where they are.

Attached Files:

11. tonyc662

tonyc662 New Member

State:
    Michigan
    New Member here,great board.I fish Holloway alot mostly early morning or after dark this time of the year.For catfish the tubes on stanley rd are good as well as the Mt.Morris rd bridge.If you have a boat just north of the Mt.Morris rd bridge is a cut,have done really well there.As for Mott Lake,the genesee rd bridge is really good from shore.