Holiday Tradition

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by r ward, Nov 2, 2008.

1. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    With the holidays coming I thought it would be interesting to list your familys Holiday traditions wether it is a food or decoration or something you do

2. catoon

catoon Board Clown!

State:
    whiteville
    family tradition to have dinner together on thanksgiving and christmas

3. CuzICan

CuzICan New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, A
    Mine are more traditions that everyone follows than my own, but I always make pumpkin and pecan pies like my grandmother did for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I make a green vegetable casserole that I don't make any other time during the year. I have always had both at my house since I moved out and had children. I reserve those days for me and my boys. I have always fixed a BIG meal for both.

We don't have Christmas TILL Christmas. growing up my family had it Christmas Eve night, and I didn't like that, and if I go to relatives that is on the 24th or after Christmas or I don't go.

Both holidays are difficult for me in some ways. I always end up crying thinking of and remembering my loved ones passed. I don't know WHY I do that but I always do on those particular holidays.

I like lots of lights on the tree and icicles and I like to put it up early and take it down the first week of January. I use ornaments that I have had for years and I play Christmas music all through the holidays.

4. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    This is kind a side step from your ?.

During the holidays I think how thankful I'm to have a family that is loving and giving. I am thankful for the loving God and the blessing He has blessed me with. In today times most people have for got what it means to GIVE all they want is to RECEIVE May God Bless each and every one of you through out this holiday season

5. Dredge

Dredge Member

State:
    Arnold,Missouri
    Thanksgiving,my dad and brother come to my place.Every year,I smoke a turkey.After dinner,we have a Skip-Bo card game marathon.Christmas,we go to my dad's place so my brother can do the meal.Oh,and more Skip-Bo.

6. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    That Catman is a tradition we all need to adopt thank you for the reminder

7. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    i never was very close with any of my immediate family. we usually call or e-mail for the hollidays, maybe send a card.

however, a few of the guys i served with and i consider ourselves more family and friends. this will be the 8th... 9th holliday season we have spent together. thanksgiving about 4 families (marines/wives/kids) get together and fry a turkey. then we watch football and build a fire outside.

Christmas, we all get together and do a humongous prime rib. we average about 2#'s of meat per plate. seriously. that pretty well knocks us out for any other activity other than laying around and telling stories.

truth be told though... the most important holliday season to us is this coming weekend. nov. 10th, the marine corps birthday and nov. 11th, veterans day. we do basically the same thing every year. nov. 10th we get a bottle of really good whiskey (single barrel most likely) and some big porterhouse steaks. we get drunk, eat, tell stories, and usually get mad and beat the crap out of each other... (in a friendly way)
    the next day we get up, eat a big breakfast, buy a bunch of beer and either go fishing, or golfing. this year it is golfing.

the festivities are affectionately known by our spouses as MAN TIME DAYS. we have our own set of rules for this holliday of course...

8. littleman

littleman Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter are all the same for us. We have lunch at my parents and then supper at uncle Bill and uncle Eldon's. Truth is we eat light at my parents house and act like pigs at my uncles. The older my mom gets, the worse her cooking gets. After what is called "The Christmas Incident", my siblings and myself have started bringing 2-3 dishes a piece. This way there is at least some food that is worth eating. We're nice about it, we tell mom that at her age she should relax and not have to cook a huge meal.