Holiday Fishing???

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by blackwaterkatz, Dec 21, 2005.

1. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Who's planning to fish during the Christmas and New Year's holidays? Jim, Ron, Chad, Phatkat? I hope to go several times myself while kids are out of school, mostly Lake Moultrie, but I would like to try the blues in Marion, also, in the timber. Things are slow right now at the fish camps, and bait is scarce, due to low volume, I guess.

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well I'm a North Carolina boy :D , but I'm diffently fishing Christmas night...probaly not Christmas Eve though.....Fishing's been great here on Lake Gaston, NC, with the big blues hitting and some great Striper action on buktails for the smaller stripers and fresh cut bait or live bait for the bigger stripers. Bait's just now starting to get hard to find, it's hit or miss....there's eithier alot of bait or none....So I just caught some bream and white perch and used them...they worked awesome!

Good luck down there in SC.... :D

3. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Well I am heading out saturday morning early and probably monday morning. See what I can get into.

4. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    bla cwatercat i will be thear at atkins 26th-30th i will have the radio on ch69 cell #980-522-1749

5. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Gotch, Roundhill, hope to see you there sometime during the week.

6. Lil Hooker

Lil Hooker New Member

State:
    Your BackYard BOO
    I'll be fishing most if not all of next week will be just coming home to shower but should be out there

7. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Last post should have said 'Gotcha'...bad speller, sometimes.
    Roundhill, I meant to ask; what is the landing like at Atkins? Do you have any problem loading or unloading your boat?

8. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    blackwater no trouble loding or unloding the only time its bad when the wind is out of the north can be a little trouble thear is another landing at the shrine club that is protected in a cove about three blocks up the street

9. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've been by the landing you mentioned at the Shrine Club, but never used it, either. I was thinking of putting my boat in on some of these really cold mornings, so it would be closer to the dam area when I fish there. I usually put in at Bonneau and that is 4-1/2 miles vs 1-1/2 or so from atkins. It would be better for the kids and me.
    Thanks for the info.

10. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Tommy, I hope to go Sat afternoon christmas eve! :D

11. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    Well guys, wish i could go all weekend but the wife has me running around till monday. Going to Marion and try them agian! You said it right, NO LIVE BAIT! called all around and no one had any. Guess we're putting in at rocks pond. if not it will be Harry's. Good luck ya'll!! :)

12. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    You could always sneek out real early saturday morning, that is what I am going to do.

13. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Verlon, tncatfishing, hope you all have good luck if you make it out. I have a doctor appt in the morning, and cooking a big meal for the kids tomorrow night, so might be able to get out for a little while sometime on Saturday.
    Iceman, did you happen to call Black's about bait? I went by Harry's earlier in the week, (they said they might have some mullet and shad come in today) but didn't have the few extra minutes to spare to run by Black's. I might call around tomorrow, but with the holidays, the bait may be scarce before next week.

14. SloWater

SloWater New Member

State:
    TN
    Since this is my first post I will introduce myself by saying that, I joined the site after reading some posts after it changed over.
    I sent a PM to "blackwaterkatz" about a fishing trip I made with a Guide Monday the 19th. We (3) of us caught some nice fish. It was mostley a learning trip for me. I am still working a full time job so I do not have much time to fish.
    As a young fellow I fished for cats (and anything else) at night in Arkansas and Oklahoma from the bank.
    I have fished with small boats and used a slideing anchor (window sash weight and long rope) to drift down creeks and small rivers. I now have a "new" jon boat and hope to fish more. I am installing a fishfinder on the boat. I may get to go fishing before the New Year, if I do then I will join in with a response.
    My primary areas of fishing have been Savannah River/Stevens creek, South fork Edisto River and Upper and Lower Santee lakes. I have fished once in the Cooper river.
    I hope that everyone here has a nice Christmas and New Year.

15. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Tommy I have a reservation at Short Stay for 3,4,5 Jan.Im hoping the menhaden action will still be going on.If it isnt the shad action should be strong in front of the upper dam but that would be a long cold ride by water.I could always trailer up to Harrys.Sorry I'm going to miss Roundhill but maybe I could buzz down for one day.Might see if Kevin is available for a day.Hope your and yours have a happy holiday and we catch that monster this year.

16. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Slowater, again, welcome to the BOC and to South Carolina, Gordon. I think you will enjoy it here a lot. Jump right in the forum and make yourself at home. Wonderful folks here! Maybe we can get together some a little later on. I'm still learning every trip. That trip you guys made with Big John was a good way to learn, well worth the money. If you happen to need another window sash weight for your boat, I have a few here.

Jim, I have my calendar marked, and plan to get up there some while you are down, also plan to fish some next week while Roundhill is here, too. I went by Walmart and picked up some neoprene gloves and one of those small coleman heaters; couldn't fine a Mr. Heater anywhere today, but I think the one I got will warm our hands ok. I'm trying to figure out how to make a practical windbreak of some kind, if I were to need it.
    If Kevin is free for a day, that sounds good, too.

Merry Christmas guys!

17. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    Blackwaterkatz, I called J.D at Harry's the other day and he said he SHOULD? have live bait but it was not a sure thing. The bad news is its going to be really windy says the VHF weather band so we canceled our trip. Guess we can go in the next couple of weeks. I was told they were catching them good this past week in the woods. wish i could have tried it.

18. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    With the wind forecast for Monday: W @ 15-20, that may be a wise decision. Tuesday looks pretty good right now though, projected to be w/sw @ 10, but could still be a little choppy after 2/3 days of wind. I do plan to go on Tuesday, as of right now.
    I haven't spoken with anyone the past few days, but they should be starting to bite in the upper lake timber. What bait were they using...shad?

RECREATIONAL FORECAST FOR LAKE MOULTRIE
    NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CHARLESTON SC
    308 PM EST SUN DEC 25 2005

...LAKE WIND ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 5 PM EST MONDAY...

.TONIGHT...WEST WINDS 20 KNOTS.
    .MONDAY...WEST WINDS 20 KNOTS...DECREASING TO 15 TO 20 KNOTS LATE.
    .MONDAY NIGHT...NORTHWEST WINDS 15 TO 20 KNOTS...DECREASING TO 10 TO 15 KNOTS.
    .TUESDAY...NORTHWEST WINDS 10 KNOTS...BECOMING SOUTHWEST.

19. TOPS

TOPS New Member

State:
    Cabot,Arkansas
    Tommy, I was able to go Friday but the turbines were not running and I only got one bump. I am still out of skips. :D

20. blackwaterkatz

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Verlon, will you get to go any this week? We wanted to go today, but it's too windy for my boat. Planning for tomorrow am, may even try some bank fishing late today, if we don't go deer hunting.