Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Zoom into the section of your river with maps.google.com. Sometimes you can see the holes in aerial view. Where rivers bend, the current follows the outside path and carves a deep channel - usually the sharper the bend the deeper the groove. The hole usually extends past the bend and it is often even deeper there. If your river has break walls, bridge pilings, or permanent sand bars they usually drop into deep holes just down current.

One of the best ways, is to have a fish locater, installed on your boat. Look closely at the bottom structure and find the sharp dropoffs in the bottom. Alot of times, these are the places where the cats will be, until their feeding times where they'll move into the shallows to ambush their food!!

WELCOME TO THE USCA!!
hope this helps!!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
if your fishing the missouri river fish bellow the wing dikes. thats where the hole there are
as far as the smaller rivers like the blue or elkhorn i'd agree with bownero fish the inside bends go shallower as the night gets latter on the sand. they say the best sandbars are the ones with humps.. as far as fishing a wing dike there will be a deep hole at the tip one might be 15-20 ft with one right down may go 40 or more fish off the tip if possible in the curent seam where the slow and fast water meet you may have to go heavy on the weight some times 12 or more oz..... welcome aboard

·
Registered
722 Posts
And if you don't have a locator on the boat. Get your feet wet. Walk until you cant walk and then you find the hole. I find a lot of holes underneath the brush along the bank also and I fish both upstream and downstream of the piles.

·
Registered
4,103 Posts
if your talking on the little blue over there look for any spots rainwater or irrigation water run back into the river, these are ofter washed out and make a hole, plus around there you will find that underneath any logs and brush will be washed out and have a hole underneath, plus what these other guys said. Any deeper spot will work good, underneath bridges is a good spot too usually. Where your at near the little blue I would reccomend a run and gun approach,which means to fish any deeper spots and fish them for 5 to 20 minutes then hit the next hole, you'll quickly fiqure out where the fish are and are not. this works good during the day, then at night set up on a sandbar and cast to areas that are below riffles in the smoother water and wait them out,and don't forget to fish one bait right up against the bank at least till you see where they are traveling.

One word of caution though if you are down in the streambed area and there are storms, heavy rain, or the water starts rising get to higher ground right away. Flash floods can turn a little river into a raging torent in minutes,so be safe. Sometimes it can rain upstream of where your at and not rain there where you are and you will still get a flood. when I used to fish off sandbars along there I would stick a driftwood stick or something on the sandbar at the water line to help fiqure out if the water was rising, just keep an eye on it for safety sake.

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
how do you find the deeper holes on rivers
havn't I tought you anything yet????? read the land and the water...you can tell where the deep holes are at...usually by the bend of the river, deeper water is darker, in front of any log jam, or hell when in doubt JUMP IN!!!!!!

I think now that you are old enuff your parents will let you come fishing with me by yourself then I'll start implanting your brain with the info...

·
Registered
722 Posts
One word of caution though if you are down in the streambed area and there are storms, heavy rain, or the water starts rising get to higher ground right away. Flash floods can turn a little river into a raging torent in minutes,so be safe. Sometimes it can rain upstream of where your at and not rain there where you are and you will still get a flood. when I used to fish off sandbars along there I would stick a driftwood stick or something on the sandbar at the water line to help fiqure out if the water was rising, just keep an eye on it for safety sake.[/QUOTE]

This is some of the best words of advice ANY AND ALL river fisherman should live by. I do the same thing good thinking Don I totally forgot about that. I do it but forget to advise people about it. Plus with me always in the water( if on a river) I always know the water level by how far up on the body the water goes so the stick thing is kind of not important. But no the less good advise for any young or new river rat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.