holes creek/pond behind sams club near dayton mall

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by katkiller77, Feb 13, 2008.

1. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    I am going to check out a pond/creek behind sams club near the dayton mall. I am very curious about that. i saw kids getting bullheads and very big black bullhead near two pounds there. along with several large carp there very curious ha snayone else been there rick:smile2:

2. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    it looks promising cover alot of timber bridge on the road just curious

3. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i like the bullheads part, those are tuff to come by.. i've always wondered about those, they look like a good place to get bait.

4. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i am trying to picture where sams club is by the mall but i just cant picture it....? holes creek, like any creek has decent bait but that creek for some reason has dried up a lot and is half the size it used to be. if you find a deep hole or stretch you should get some bait. i used to stop by that creek on the way fishing to get a few extra pieces, mostly small chubs and small green sunfish. i do remember getting a bullhead or two as well. be careful as to where the "Grant Park" boundaries are, last year a friend got a $250 ticket for seining minnows from Holes creek that flowed through the park property (which a lot of the creek runs through). apparently the park is a "nature sanctuary" now.

5. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    they should be there alot of cover along the shore timber everywhere this pond was built over 15 years ago alot of water looks shallow but who knows never fished like i said behinds sam club near the mall could be a should be a good place to carp fish al least maybe sunfish there also :smile2:

6. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    it is behind sams club on mccwen road near 725 barnes and nobles that area. congress park drive is across the way. al ot of condo are on the north side of this pond near diamonds strip club if that helps out

7. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ah, that big long pond? if so they used to run you out of there (centerville PD) but i hear they dont mind now so long as you arent up there after dark or partying. that pond should have lots of bait in it. BTW, once you get about 50 yards south of that bridge in the creek there on Mcewen (by the outlet of pond), that is where the "park" begins and is about where my friend got his ticket. :sad2:

8. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    oh yes bullhead there also should be some carp as well mike thank you for the warning also about the park boundary rick

9. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I grew up about a block from there in High school, ( 80-84 ) and thats when they were building 675, so I take partial responsibility for "helping some lost fish find a new home there" in the first few years, it was killer for bass, many 3-4 lbers and then the crappies came on pretty good but if ou look at the upper end of the lake, abour 20% of the lake has now filled in with all the runoff and yes, its loaded with carp now, lots of smaller one. I never took any bullhead from the lake but took a few in the creek right below the bridge ( worked from 86-94 in the 1 building that overlooks the wetland looking area) anyways , Dink is right, do NOT go very far past the 675 Bridge, its not posted but was fishing down there when a park ranger snuck up on me just to make sure I wasnt doing anything illegal there. Luckily I had already smoked all my dope and shot up all my heroin before he showed up.:wink:

Never seen any channels caught there but we, I mean a friend put a bunch in there....:roll_eyes:

Good luck, and keep us posted, BTW, if you park behind Arrow Wine or in the Daycare place, they will tow your car so park across Mcewen and walk under the bridge, that seems to be ok.

Salmonid

10. bigfish08

bigfish08 New Member

State:
    ohio
    im gonna take the ole throw net down there and see what i get come spring... i just thought of something, with the carp population being as abundant as it is, where are all the smaller carp? it seems like the small ones are almost inexistant. im talking 5-12 in.

11. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    if anything i am going to take chicken livers below the bridge and try for carp and the bullhead could be a fun afternoon there sounds like a good place for bait thanks for the info mark rick