Hole in boat

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by mperry, Apr 4, 2006.

1. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hello Everyone. My name is Mike Perry. I live in Scottsburg Indiana. I love to fish for anything that swims and I include the so called "trash" fish. I fish the Ohio River for catfish. Also fish Patoka lake and Hardy lake which is only about 3 miles from my house. Try to go to Kentucky Lake and Lake Cumberland at least once a year. First time on the site and have not had a chance to look at everything yet. I'm going to start out by asking a question. I did something stupid to my boat, drilled a few holes in it. I got a repair kit from Bass Pro because since I screwed it up I wanted to fix it myself. I used the matting on the bottom of the boat and used the resin on the inside (this was in a storage area). My question is should I put another layer or 2 of the matting just to be safe. I took the boat out and it did not appear to leak and I was on the water for a few hours. Since I like to fish and take the boat places I maybe shouldn't thought maybe I might need a little more over the holes.
    Thanks for the help and this seems like a great site.
    Mike

2. 1stpalindrone

1stpalindrone New Member

State:
    Denton, Texas
    First off, welcome to the BOC!!, the best place anywhere for catfish info, friends, food, etc.,etc,etc... It'll take awhile to get a good look at everything we've got but once you start exploring you'll lose much daylight.

About the hole, not sure about fiberglass but it would seem a good idea to double up if your gona be in there anyway, better safe than sorry. :rolleyes:

3. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    How big are the holes? You say you put matting on the outside of the boat? If this is true you should first sand the matting smooth and definately put one more coatting of mat and resin on same then sand it smooth again and coat it with an epoxy paint or rosin with a coloring agent to match the color of your boat, if color matters to you. I would also put at least one coating og matte material on the inside and thrn try to sand that down as well. If I were close to you I could show use how to do it. I have made motorcycle fenders and parts using fiberglass. I also have a mold for a small boat which I may make some day as I now have 5 boats, and don't really need a new one laying around. I have done some truck work with fiberglass as well.

4. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The color does not look to bad with just one matting. It blended in pretty good. I did use the resin but not the matting on the inside of the boat. This happened in a floor storage area. I will probably try to put some on the inside also and at least one more on the bottom of the boat. I am not an expert at this since this is the first time I have ever done it. No leaks though when I took it out. I'm worried about the many stumps that I go over getting to some of my fishing spots.
    Thanks again for the help. I wish you were close to me to. I may have to wind up taking it to a shop. At least maybe it would look good. The holes were maybe 4 to 6 milimeters so they were not very big. Just about 12 of them though. Still can't beleive I did something that stupid.
    This seems like a great site.
    Thanks again fo the help.
    Mike

5. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Welcome to the BOC!! I dont think it would be a bad idea to go double on it, just my opinion though. Glad to have ya on the site!

6. bigsammy

bigsammy New Member

State:
    Poteau ok
    Mperry,this is how I was told and how I fixed a crack om my ski boat.I ground the crack from the top to a taper and masking taped it on the bottom.Then I use the fiberglass matt saturating it and applying it in layers,each peice bigger than the last.Only three layers at a time(it gets hot as you layer and will crack).The same on the bottom(only had to use two layers).When its all cured,I rough sanded the bottom,and applied a marine body filler and sanded smooth then painted.Cant even tell it was ever there.hope this helps and welcome to the BOC!:cool:

7. APD1146

APD1146 New Member

State:
    New York
    No thanks needed Mike. Welcome to the club. Thats what it is all about helping others.

8. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Actually when I first started to repair I put masking tape on all the holes and poured the resin directly through the holes. I let that set up before I put the matting on. I removed the tape and sanded down the holes to remove any material then I retaped and applied the matting. I let it set up for about 24 hours and it seemed to set up good. I then went into the storage area and applied some more of the resin directly over the holes. I did not use the matting. I also let this set up for 24 hours. So far everything looks good and like I said it did not leak at least that I could tell and I had no water in the bilge area. I just bought this boat new so you can imagine that I had some choice words for myself when I realized what I done. I could hear the water coming out of the boat. I went back to the drain plug and no water coming out. That's when I realized what I did. Then I had to tell the wife about it. She also had some choice words for me. Anyways guys I appreciate the help and like I said I have not had a chance to look at everything here but it seems like a great site. I posted on some other forums and have gotten a lot better response here. Nothing against the other forums at all because I love to read about everyones fishing adventures.
    Mike

9. LarryW

LarryW New Member

State:
    Abbeville Louisiana
    Welcome to the BOC Mike. I do not know much about patching a boat but am lessoning closely because I have a small leek in my boat that I will have to repair. Again welcome

10. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Aye welcome to the boc mike.

I dont know much about this topic either, but it sure sounds like you did a good job fixing it. I would say it couldnt hurt to put a second layer on it. Just keep an eye on it and if it you dont have any problems with it, I would think its safe to assume the problem is fixed.

I have a hole where the top support for my ladder meets the transom. I gotta get rid of that ladder because it has a platform which really hurts the steering to the left side. Thinking Ill just use the technique you did and then install a drop down rope ladder.

11. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just bought this boat is what really sucks. I bought a Triton fish and ski since I now have 3 grandkids needed the room. I had a 17.5 foot Skeeter before and I wanted to put a ladder on it but it was going to cost over 600 bucks to do it. I think the rope ladder is a good idea.
    Mike

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I can almost imagine the captain of the Titanic wanted one more piece of skin on his ship also. You may also encounter an ice berg or a wife wanting to claim an inheiritance. lol

13. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    Welcome to the B.O.C Mike! It's a great site with great people! As for your boat, I dont think you have any strength, to your repair. While it may hold for a while, I think it needs to be redone! Basicly you need to make the repair larger then the hole, and make each layer of fiberglass larger then the one before. 3 layers should be enough. You will then want to repair the gelcoat on the bottom side, again makeing the repair larger then the hole. There are tons of websites that give detailed instructions. Google "fiberglass repair"! There are also a few really knowledgeable people on the board that will chime in when they see the post!

14. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Mike, I'm sorry about your boat but I just want to welcome you to the brotherhood. You're gonna like it here and we are glad you're part of the family.

ST

15. shortshank

shortshank New Member

State:
    Oregon
    Welcome Mike! good to have you here. Throw in that ole coffee can and get busy, fish are waitin. First boat I ever owned I thought the live well overflowed before I got all those cracks and rivets sealed. I still own that ol 67 john.
    Glad Your Here,
    Don

To the world you may be just a person, but to a person you may be the World.

16. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I always keep something with me just in case. The boat is actually not leaking. Had it out for a few hours last weekend and seemed to hold good. The only thing I was worried about was the many stumps that I hit. I like to fish and take the boat wherever it looks good so most of the time that means through the tree's. Thanks for all the advice. Going to add a coulple more layers to it. Paid to much money for it to sink.
    Mike

17. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
  18. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I still can't beleive how much it costs to put a ladder in. I had a guy contact me today from Louisville about my boat. I hate to see what it will cost to fix it right. I think I have the leak problem fixed but I'm thinking about taking it in anyway. Since I just bought it I hate to have it look bad even if it is on the bottom.
    Mike

19. Slimkat

Slimkat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If Your Always Fishing In The Thick Id Pach It Up More

20. mperry

mperry New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It's cooled down a lot here since the storm went through last night. Any idea what the temp. has to be in order for the resin to set up?