Hole in Boat! Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by stumpjumper, Mar 23, 2009.

1. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I have a small tear in the bow of my boat (aluminum), but it's big enough to be a real concern. The hole measures about 1" long by 1/16" wide. This is not a rivet leak or anything like that. It happened while trailering the boat a couple weeks ago.

I want to fix it the right way the first time. I don't want to caulk it and then two weeks from now have water in the boat again. I know nothing about welding, but it seems like that welding would be a more permanent repair option.

Any advice or suggestions? Thanks

2. whisker maniac

whisker maniac New Member

State:
    arkansas
    Having your boat welded to fix that hole would be the most permanent solution but you could use bondo on it. Bondo is strong and will hold very well at least until you ram the boat again.:eek:oooh:

3. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If it is worth doing, its worth doing right. Weld it. It will not be that expensive...probably just a little more than the bondo, but last a whole lot longer. Then I'd look at the trailer and do something to prevent something like that happening again.

4. RRRKKK

RRRKKK New Member

State:
    Quincy IL
    If its not where there is a lot of stress or movement try J-B weld. Once it drys it can be tapped and threaded, also repairs cracks in engine blocks. Ive used it to repair frozen and cracked cast iron ground bury water hydrants. But I also agree it would be best to weld it. Take it to someone who knows. Make sure he cleans the paint with a stainless steel brush and not an iron one.

5. Dave53

Dave53 New Member

State:
    Lonedell M
    Cabelas have these green sticks that you heat the surface and apply the stick that melts..before I got my new boat I used the sticks on my worst rivets and it stopped them. I had a cut about 2 inches long and it stopped it for a few months but cracked again..make this long answer short..have it welded and be done with it..it is worth the extra money not to have to worry about the boat leaking or the hole getting any bigger on the day of your big turney...

6. PeeDee Cat

PeeDee Cat Member

State:
    SC
    Have it welded.
    PEEDEE CAT

7. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Might as well do it right,Weld it !

8. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I vote weld it and be done with it.

9. Holmes

Holmes New Member

State:
    South Caro
    weld it. should not take but a few min. for a welding shop to do.

10. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    I am a certified welder, and I know you should take the boat to someone who can tig that hole closed, then it should be stronger than before, make sure they have the right equipment, I dont have a hi frequency tig machine or Id offer to fix it for you, but it looks to me like you dont really have but 1 option to do it right :wink:

11. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    Gary, I was warned to be very careful and to make sure I found a good welder because aluminum can be tricky. I know nothing about this but, is this true?

12. gdlocal10

gdlocal10 New Member

State:
    kansas
    Yes it is very tricky, you want to make sure who ever welds it knows how to prep and weld aluminum. It is a very sensitive metal,it must be very clean and free from any contaminates, I am using a mig with 100% argon on our boat but it isnt as good as a hi frequency tig, some of the welds on our boat woul not penetrate, and I would have to wire wheel it off real good with a stainless wire wheel so it wouldnt get any contaminates in it.Well Teri did the wire wheeling and prepped things but still its a very particular material. I would do it for you with the mig but the tig is best. You have total control of the heat that way. I can weld 2 pop cans together with a tig, you get more controlled arch, Call someone at a welding shop or fabrication shop that does aluminum, wish I was closer I would help you out, I wouldnt even weld to the hull on our boat with a mig, Tig only, the surrounding area stays much cooler, and not so brittle.

13. stumpjumper

stumpjumper New Member

State:
    Dallas, GA
    I can't thank you enough Gary. Reps is the best I can do now...thanks!

14. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    Marc have it welded, own a weld/fab shop shouldn't cost more then $30 +or- 10. do the prep work yourself clean both sides as Gary said and maybe do a follow up with some kinda of degreaser/thinner also drill a 3/16'' hole at or just past each end of crack to stop the tear/crack before welding:wink:. i would do it for ya but SoCal may just be a little far