holding tank for holding catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by flatheadhunterx, Jan 20, 2006.

1. flatheadhunterx

flatheadhunterx Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    ok guys i got a idea and i need some suggestions. i am thinking of building a 3 ft by 5 ft tank by 2 or 3 ft deep depending on what i can fit on my trailor. it will be alum. and it will bolt to the under side fo my pontoon with a trap door on hinges in the floor. since most of it will be under water while in the water i dont think weight will matter much. or am i wrong? this will be for tourny fishing till they are released. i will have to pump water in and out so i will have it sealed on all sides. any body that can offer ideas or has seen someting like this please do tell thx.

2. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    So this thing is going to hang down into the water under the toon? What about drag from the water or worse yet you hit something like a stump. I would just get a tank and place on the floor of the toon and pump water in and out.

3. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    the front of this tank will be v shaped to channel water and reduce drag and wont hang below the toons because then it wont go on trailor. and hitting a stump wouldnt be worse than hitting one with a toon

4. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Sounds like it'd work, you'd probably have to fab some kind of supports to catch a stringer or two under the deck. If it was just bolted to the deck, a couple of hundred pounds of water in the tank hanging down and pushing against the water as you travelled would put a lot of stress on the deck if you bolted it to that. You've proably thought of that already, though. Sounds like a plan.

5. crazy

crazy New Member

State:
    Kansas CIty, MO
    Oh ok I guess i miss understood that part. sorry.

6. Rockjumper

Rockjumper New Member

State:
    Parker,Pennsylvania
    Did you look at the library under "floating livewell"? That is what I made and had alot of catfish in it at one time. It is only like 40" by 20". You may however catch much bigger fish than me!LOL. 5ft by 3ft is pretty big. You may find out that you could go like 2ft by 5ft or 2ft by 4ft just to have less resistance in the water. Sounds like a great idea, I just think water drag and weight maybe a big factor. Good luck.

Paul

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Sounds interesting, but the added drag and the chance you could hit something would be a big worry for me. No matter how you taper the tank, having that large area hanging down is going to slow you down and cost you more gas.

It would be cool if it was a basket that you could lift out of the water while you run to another location.

I have an old cooler with one of those pumps from Bass Pro Shops. It is connected to my trolling motor battery. I think they are about $35.00. It will keep cats alive for weight-in and it will keep bait alive all day.

8. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    depending on how deep you make it, it won't have to be water tight... the fresh water going through it would only benefit the fish, not hurt them... There was a post on a bait fish container made from a 5 gallon bucket, the guy drilled holes in the top 2/3 or so and left the bottom water tight so when he pulled it out of the water it would still support the fish till the bucket went back in... could work with this idea too...

Possibly making the frame out of pipe (and attach it to the bottom of the boat w/ the piping), then welding aluminum sheeting on the bottom and part way up like a foot-2 foot, depending on where it rides in the water and how deep it can be for your trailer then attach 2 layers of chicken wire (off set from each other) or some other mesh wire at the top to allow water flow for the fish to survive... Idk just my thought on it. Would like to see pics once your finished w/ it

9. Manolo56

Manolo56 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    As this is my first post to this group, I'll try and be helpful. I also fish from a "Toon" and know what a pain those undersized bilt-in live wells can. Often only able to hold no more than two or three of the fish I catch!!! (Don't I wish) Once people get to know me, they discover I can run the gamit from compleatly off the wall, to very serious and insightful. As for your plan, I will have to agree with the respondants questioning weight. I believe a gallon of water weights in the neighborhood of six pounds. The dementions of your live well, I believe, would end up giving you the potential for several hundred pounds of water. My pontoons have, I believe, a 24 inch diameter and only draw six to eight inches of water. To keep your live well above the bottom of the pontoons the bulk of the water would be above the waterline adding a fair amount of weight to your craft. Unless you are thinking of having eight or so inches of water in the live well. In which case it may work, if you can truly reduce the drag in the water. I hope it works.

10. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    if i do it i plan on having it maybe 4 or 5 inches in the water.it wont be full, just as deep as it needs be to cover the fish. i want it water tight so when i load the boat i wont lose water. the front will be like a v to reduce drag and have alum angle aroud the top to bolt to the cross frame under the floor.with alum sides and bottom. i wont to bolt to the floor in case it doesnt go as planned. i use a oxygen tank on my boat to keep live herring and other baitfish alive without having to use a battery. so i am not worried about keeping fish alive once i fill it with water. as soon as the weather clears up alittle i am gonna get measurements and material and see how its gonna work.

11. ears

ears New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I think this will seriously affect the handling of your boat and if it ever hits anything under way could cause a whole lot of damage. I dont know the size/ weight capacity of your boat but a big cooler with a little recirc pump or even a plastic truck toolbox if you can handle the weight is simple and comes out real easy if you dont need it.

12. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    I would be very careful before I made this permanent.What size toon do you have.You can go to a COOP or hardware store and purchase one of the galvanized stock tanks just about the same size you are thinking about.Run a pump to it and have a very good livewell.Many Toons at Santee including some guides have this tank.My friends and I did this on his 20 ft toon and I have to tell you that much water adds considerable weight and alters the handling of the boat.You must be careful where you place it in relation to the boats center of gravity etc because if you stop or slow quickly that water is going to keep going and it is possible to drive the front of the boat under water if not careful.Hanging it down into the water would dramatically alter your boats handling,speed etc.I would rethink that idea.Remember water weighs about 8lbs a gallon if I remember right so 100 gallons which isn't a lot will add 800 lbs to your boat which might put it over safe capacity.

13. Environmentor

Environmentor New Member

State:
    Buffalo, Iowa
    I, too, agree that it might be dangerous or damaging on the water; however, I think it could most likely damage your boat when trailered. You say the toons will hang down farther and the well will be "water tight so when i load the boat i wont lose water". In other words you want to suspend several hundred pounds to a ton of sloshing water in midair between your boat and trailer, while trailering your boat and hiting potholes, with only the pontoons and frame suspending this weight. I don't know how much you would have to brace your boat flooring, pontoons, and the well itself, but I could see the dangers of having the bracing break while driving, possibly causeing a wreck. Maybe you could modify your trailer with some rollers that this well would roll up on and would specifically hold the tank's extra weight, or install a jack with support to jack up against the well. Your ideas a great one, and maybe some pontoon manufacturerer would pay you some money for this idea, or maybe they could help work out the details with their engineers. Also, this kind of modification could alter your boats warranty or insurance coverage (if your boat is new or insured). Good luck, be safe, and I hope it works for you.

14. MoMudCat

MoMudCat New Member

State:
    Troy,MO
    Two things that come to my mind :
    1) as mentioned before, added weight too far forward could cause possible nose diving through waves. I used to fish from a pontoon quite a bit and have done this before. No fun.
    2) Your container mounted too far back could create too much of a disturbance to the flow of water to your prop. causing loss of performance from your motor. I guess it would depend on how far it hung down.
    Cool idea though. It might be better if you down sized the tank a little.

15. wpsatisfide

wpsatisfide New Member

State:
    Pawleys Island, SC
    Neat idea, but Id also be concerned with weight, stability, performance, and safety issues. Id think a large cooler or ank on deck would be safer, cheaper, and work just as well.

:0a25: to the BOC Monte, good to have you with us

16. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    The idea sounds good and may work, if your trailer will sustain the extra load.
    I'm sure there are a couple of extra factors, one being weight distribution . I am assuming you will position the tank "cross ways" not fore/aft because of your deck supports. ForeAft opens a whole new can of worms.
    Water weighs 8.33 pounds per gallon and there are 7.48 gallons in a cubic foot so a cubic foot of water weighs 62.3084 pounds. Either tank with 12" of water will weigh 934.626 pounds (15 cu. ft. of water) If the tanks rides in the water the weight won't be a problem but on the trailer, the rules change immediately. 934 pounds doesn't sound like much, but my 22' deck boat has an 1155 load limit and I weigh 230 pounds, Hmmmmmmmm. The point I hope I've made is you can exceed the structural design limits of a "toon" and trailer quickly by adding that much static weight. I would contact the manufacturer about placement. There are at least 10 different things to consider and most of them pertain to how it will trailer. Afterall the tank will sit in the water when off the trailer, it will be neutral.

17. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    After I read what I said about placeing the tank "cross ways" I noticed I didn't say with a front bevel of about 30 degrees, it allows the water pass with minimal interference. (physics 101 or was that?). and it won't affect your prop.

18. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    finally a person that thinks it may work.as for weight what is the diff in carry 50 gal. off water on the deck as to under the deck except for the space i could save? and for drag if it is v-shaped in the front to reduce drag it would be no diff than the drag off another toon up the center like a tri-toon.i am not talking about putting a big square box uder there like an ice box or anything.and as far as the trailor goes i wont be towing far just to the weigh in site. or maybe to haul bait to the lake so i can leave off the 30 gal. bait tank i carry with me now.

19. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    I don't really like to think I would influence you to attempt this. I would also ask have you ever known any one who has???? If it were feasible the "companies" would be offering this as an option. I spent 32 years in the metals trade as a tool maker/Lay Out Inspector/mechanical engineer and I probably look at things a little different. Sure I can make it work, but would I want to take my "Grand Children" on it???

Fifteen cu. ft. of water weighs twice as much as 50 gallons.

I will reiterate ask the manufacturer what thier recomendation would be for this setup. """"I can do the "math" and the layout plus fabrication, but I don't have one on my "toon," and shes a 28 foot.""""

After thought! Do you think you could reach into that tank, if it were 2.5 feet deep and pull a 50 or 60 pound "catfish" out of it?????

20. flatheadhunterx

State:
    South Carolina
    i am thinking maybe a foot at the deepest. i talked to a guy that use to biuld bently pontoons about this and he said it should work ok as long as it wasnt to big. he said depending on the size of it i may have to put so extra pieces acroos the under side to bolt it to and tie a peice in where the door in the floor will rest when closed to give it some stability when it is walked on so the door wouldnt cave through. what brought the idea up is i was talking with him about adding a third toon and building it in the toon but that was a way to expensive project for an older boat, thats when we came up with this idea. i hope to start getting materials and cutting them in the next wk or two and get it mapped out so i can tack it all together and see how it fits before i go any farther.