holding catfish

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by stangcrazy85, Dec 31, 2009.

1. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    dose anyone else hate the way most people hold up mainly flatheads by the gills for pics i see this everywhere i look almost makes me puke just seems there is no respect for the fish or for themselves as anglers
    thanks guys
    Happy new year

Toby

2. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    now if the fish is to be kept there aint no problem with it, but if its to be cpr'd, i definitely agree, i never hold em by the gills, i wann make ure its living to fight another day, damging the giils aint a way to do that, i also try not to have it supporting all of its weight hanging by just its jaw.

3. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I always hold fish like the one in my avatar. If it's a big flathead, I'll grab him by the lips - but only if we can take the picture fast. I feel this pose shows them off best anyways.

4. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    I put my thumb in its mouth, I figure I worked hard to finally catch it LOL no matter how big.

5. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    Holding by the gill plate is different from holding them from the gills themselves. I don't like seeing them held like that just cause it could damage the plate in my opinion. I usually hold them from the lower jaw which I guess might cause damage too. Holding them the way jbrooks is in his avatar is probably the best method.

6. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I'm sure, or at least I hope, that most people either don't know that they are potentially hurting the fish or think they have a safe technique. I doubt many people are out there trying to hurt the fish, although I have seen it.

7. mr.seaark77

mr.seaark77 New Member

State:
    ohio
    for me its all about the sport i try not to handle the fish no more then i have to and never by the gills i belive in catch and release i hate to see guys take big blues and flatheads out of the river and put them in little ponds and pay lakes it kills me what a waste :sad2:

8. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    right on guys i just needed to xepress my concerns thanks for agreeing

9. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    i don't like seeing it regardless of what kind of fish it is. some times folks just don't think.

10. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I usually hold them up with my fish skinning pliers pinching their bottom lip. I will be buying a fish grip or 2 this year. That seems to be a proper and humane way to do it.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I hold them all just like my avitar pic...I have held them by the lower jaw, but dont like to do it...I had a friend pic a big one up by the lower jaw 40-lber and you could hear the jaw bone breaking.

I would never pick one up by the gills or gill plate.

12. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    I think out of the catfish I catch the flatheads are the easiest to hold by the mouth. If you get your hand in its mouth and put your thumb on the bottom, they won't bite down and they are easy to hold. I agree that gill holding is lame - I never want to hurt the fish.

13. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Holding a flathead by it's gill plates is like holding you up by your lungs!

Support the belly. take a quick pic, and let her go.

14. ryang

ryang Well-Known Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    Name:
    Gary
    What if its a boy :smile2: