Holding Catfish By The Mouth

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jdw123, May 5, 2008.

1. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    is there a certain way to hold them without getting bit? I see pics of guys holding 50 and 60 pound catfish by the mouth and cant figure how those guys arent in pain. is there a secret to it or do you just be tough and bear the pain?

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    most of the time they dont bite but i always come out with a few scrapes not because they bite but because of the sand paper lips they have just war scares for me they dont bother me

3. big corey

big corey New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    suck it up be proud of the fish u catch i never use a net i lip every fish i catch

4. bnorth

bnorth New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It's just like gripping wet sandpaper. You'll get used to it.

5. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    my brother and I used to call it 'hawg thumb' when you get that light scratched up area on your thumb and the web of your hand. Good reminder for the next day or so how big that fish you caught was!:wink:

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Just stick your hand in there and suck it up!:smile2: No pain, no gain.

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    They can be intimidating, but are rather harmless. Just be sure when you do grab one that still has the hook in his mouth, that you hold 'em tight so they don't spin/flop and get YOU hooked with the hook! :wink:
    BB in SC

8. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You just got to reach in with your whole hand and grab thier bottom jaw. Dont just stick your fingers in thier mouth they will bite you. I've been bitten by the smaller ones but the bigguns dont seem to bite much.:smile2:

9. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    the bottom jaw of a flathead to me is just like a suitcase handle. when you stick your hand in a blues mouth clamp down tight cause they have a tendancy to spin. i usually have rough and skinned up fingers this time of year. right now they are more like a babys bottom. and i've been fishing a lot too.

10. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I'd just like to add that when you do it, don't be timid. Just grab that bottom jaw and hang on tight! They might try to spin on you and whatever but if you grab like you mean business and hang-on, the fish is yours. I've been scratched up, clamped down on and bleeding many a time but I get my fish.

11. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I would be careful if I were you. A long time ago when I didn't know any better I grabbed holt of a big ol shovel head He went fifty pounds or so cant recollect exactly , but any way he let out a bellow and kinda half twisted and jerked at the same time and pulled my right arm right out of the socket! Took two Dr.s three days to sew it back on right. Like I said just be careful.:wink:

12. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    If it hurt, or occasions as Jack narrated happened often, no one would do it. Then where would we be... have to have a handgun along to neutralize the fish before you got it in the boat, then there goes the CPR practice. LOL

13. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Why would you want to hold them by the by the mouth?????:eek:oooh:I find it is much easier to just grab them with my hand.:smile2::wink:When I used to hold them by mouth I would get my lips all torn up from those sandpaper teeth.That would limit my kissing ability with the local lasses much to their chagrin!!!:roll_eyes:One day I had to make the difficult choice :Stop holding them by mouth or give up kissing!!!!:tounge_out:I went and got a RAPALA grip and weigh plus a pair of light gloves.Never had a problem since.I did find out however if you place your UNPROTECTED hand in a big fishes mouth,your are going to feel lots of pain particularly if it twists or bucks:smile2:s while you are holding it.!!!!Some feel that is manly so just call me sissie!!!:smile2::roll_eyes::eek:oooh:I use a neoprene glove or a small white hand towel to protect my hand.The local girls are much happier now!!!!!

14. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am going to go with SUCK IT UP!!! or wear some mechanics gloves. :wink:

15. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    I hold all flatheads and bigger blues by the bottom jaw. I once grabbed a flathead by the top just to get a better grip and it cut me pretty good. Sure beats trying to gill them and I suppose its better for the fish. A glove is "handy" for lippin.

16. Water Wolf

Water Wolf New Member

State:
    Colorado
    You are into the wrong hobby if getting cuts or wet and dirty bothers you. Just do it.

17. Mr.T

Mr.T Active Member

State:
    MO
    From another angle:

If you're dealing with a bigger fish (say 20 lbs and up) and you intend to release it, PLEASE DON'T HOLD IT VERTICALLY BY THE JAW!

Holding a heavy fish up vertically by the jaw is bad in a bunch of ways - you can break and/or dislocate the jaw, damage internal organs from holding them vertical, etc.

Apparently the only way to properly show off a flathead is to hold it up that way and it makes me cringe every time I see it. Their jaws are for biting, not supporting 20 or 40 or 60 lbs of weight. Please be kind to our slimy friends.

18. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    I personally were gloves you can get at walmart in the fishing section. They are neoprene gloves and only cost about $13. It will save you from getting all cut up from the fish. I know everyone says suck it up but I think don't get all cut up if you don't have to but to each their own. I only put the gloves on when handling a fish but to me it is worth 5 secs to put them on.

19. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    channels and blues are notorious for trying to crush your hand, but that just helps you hold on better! just remember to support the weight of the bigguns. i was reading about how splash, the texas record blue, died of an infection in her jaw. i am not trying to discuss whether or not cody mullinex's hook caused it, and it's collateral damage in that case..... but i was wondering if holding a fish that's to be released by only its bottom jaw could create maybe a hairline fracture and set up a similar infection. i feel it's totally acceptable to hold any cat by the lower jaw, just be sure and support their weight.

20. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Hey Marty how is it going.I hear rumors you are painting your bait red with some concoction,sporting about in that new boat and winning or placing in some tournaments!!!I always knew something good would come of you. :smile2::big_smile:Good advice as usual and I would add to your reputation but I have to spread it around some.Good to see a good guy make good!!!!!!:big_smile::smile2::wink: