Holding blue catfish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Jul 9, 2007.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    I WAS WONDERING WHY IN PICTERS PEOPLE NEVER HOLD BLUECATS BY THE MOUTH AND ABOUT EVERY FLATHEAD PHOTO THEY DO

2. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    You shouldn't hold a big fish vertically at all if you intend to release it. Doing so can cause damage to internal organs and increase the chances of dying after release. Holding a 30 or 50 lb fish by the jaw is a good way to break or at least dislocate the jaw, again increasing the odds of death after release.

If they're headed for the freezer, though, it doesn't matter much how you hold them. And folks probably hold flatheads by the mouth because they've got such a big mouth (the fish, not the folks...)

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Stick your hand inside of a big blues mouth and you'll find out why, they love to do a spin dance on your hand and thumb.

4. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    If you look at my pictures I always Support the fish with one hand and hol em by the jaw so as not to put all the weight on em.

5. kimmysan0

kimmysan0 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    Jerry, I do the same thing. Any time I picture a fish I try to use one hand toward the bottom of the belly for support. Organs can get damage by vertically suspending a fish with no support. Of course fish of any size rarely compley with my methods. It takes alot of courage and adrenaline to lip a big cat for the first time, and if you happen to get a big fat mussel cruncher locked down on your hand the first time, its usually a long time before you do it again.