hold up my boat in driveway for trailer work

Discussion in 'Boat Repair Help' started by catwilly, Aug 20, 2008.

1. catwilly

catwilly New Member

State:
    nw illinois
    i need a idea for taking my boat off the trailer so i can modify my trailer. i have a engine hoist and strap but i need to put the boat on something about 25 inches tall that will hold about 1200 lbs.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    The few times I have removed the boat from the trailer in my yard, I used rubber tires. Just get a bunch and tie them together to make a bed and ease the boat off the trailer. You can usually just winch the boat back onto the trailer.

3. catwilly

catwilly New Member

State:
    nw illinois
    that has some possibilites, i never thought about tires. good idea

4. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    have done this with 55 gallon drums also, then just winch back on trailer.

5. Wvawitrado

Wvawitrado New Member

State:
    California, Fresno
    OR YOU COULD DO IT LIKE THIS!.......
    lift the bow up brace it with bricks, pallets, any item that you can find that will do the job properly or construct one out of wood it makes it so easy to do SMALL V SHAPE....anyways now lift the stern brace it really easy to do dont overthink it and push the trailer as far back as it can go then lift the bow and stern place your stabilizers in new positions that will allow you to pull the trailer the furthest and then repeat until its off also now that your done you have something that can hold your boat in case you need to work on it otherwise IMO... "JUST WINCH IT ON" its not good for the structural stability of the entire hull...PM me its late and it probably sounds wrong.....
    P.S- you could just hoist the bow with your engine hoist and do the steps with only the stern and lower the bow onto something LIGHTBULB!

6. catwilly

catwilly New Member

State:
    nw illinois
    i think i got it, about 3 pallets with 2 tires each. both front and back. that should be stable enough for my 1860. it`s around 900 lbs empty. thanks for the ideas. might even put it in the garage over winter like that to save room.

7. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    when we recarpeted my ol-mans boat trailer we just backed the boat into the pond for about two hours. but you said you had a garage and a motor lift why not use motor lift to help lift one end at a time and use the rafters to hold the boat up and drive trailer out from under then use a set of saw horses under the boat for added safety and support untill done with trailer. just a thought there has been a few pics of people on here moding their boats and in the pics you can see them hanging from their rafters.

8. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I used an engine lift for the back and the rafters of my barn with a come-
    along for the front when I painted my trailer this year. You can rent these
    engine lifts ( cherry pickers) from some auto parts stores pretty cheap.

9. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I would assume everyone is using some type of sling to lift and support the boats, especially since the bow eye and the transom eyes state they are not for lifting. Hate to see one of these parts fail, the boat fall, and get a cracked hull or injured person out of the deal.

10. BailBonds

BailBonds New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I've done big boats 30' in my shops drive to do bottom paint with just a bottle jack. Jacked the trailer jack all the way up in the front and jacked the rear of the trailer up enough to put 6"-8" blocks under the tires. Then stack tires, wood blocks and or foam blocks I made by filling trash bags with foam inside milk crates etc on the sides and especially under the stern. Stack them up tight under the hull then let the trailer down and pull it out. I know it sounds simple but it just takes a little shimming at a time. Doing the bottom paint is much easier because you don't need to get the trailer out, just out of the way.

11. catwilly

catwilly New Member

State:
    nw illinois
    my sling is a boat sling, i use to use it for larger motorcycles when the regular motorcycle sling would not fit on the tow truck. i have a engine hoist in my garage, AW Shucks is right, make shure the sling is made for a couple thousand lbs, not just rachet straps. those could be hard on the feet if you know what i mean.