Hogs

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by zmoon, Jun 23, 2006.

1. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    A few of my buddies were sitting around a fire last week drinking some beer. We are from northern missouri, and the only hog hunting we have seen has been on T.V. I have heard its the cheapest yet one of the most exciting hunts to go on. I didnt know if anyone out there knows someone that has problems with them or knows public land that we can go hunting on with lots of hogs. If you have any info please get a hold of me.

2. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I don't know anything about your area but there alot of places in Tenn. to hunt them. They are really fast compared to domestic pigs and can be hard to kill. I never hunted them with a gun but I saw one take 4 arrows before he went down.

3. zmoon

zmoon New Member

State:
    Missouri
    We arent planning to hunt them in Missouri, we were looking for a place down south or somewhere with a good population. In TN is there public ground to hunt on for them or what would you suggest to do?

4. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    Tennessee is one of the better places for "hawgs." Contact Tn. Conservation Dept. and Chamber of Commerce.

Oh Yeah! Take some extra underwear, you'll need them the "first" time you have a CLOSE ENCOUNTER of "the worst kind."

5. mrc

mrc New Member

State:
    SC
    We normally take a trip every year over to Crossville Tn to hunt with Daniel Loshbaugh at Loshbaugh Hunting Range. One of the guys killed an absolute monster (over 600 lbs+) that was a mix of feral and Russian but predominately Russian. If you're interested, I can get as number for you. Daniel is a great guys and will treat you right.

6. Foxhound

Foxhound New Member

State:
    Georgia
    Another great place to hunt is Bear Bridge Ranch down in Eustis, Florida. The place is loaded with trophy Russians and feral hogs. Its not will you get a shot but how long can you hold off to see what comes in next !! Nice stocked ranch house to use as well as a well stocked bass pond. Check out their website.......me and my brothers and a few friends try to make this trip once a year and fill or freezers.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

contact the DNR's from a couple of states that you are considering and ask about the hog hunts on public land. I know in Texas every year they had drawings for javalina hunts that our neighbor won and took my dad and me. I read someone told you to take extra undies you may want consider it. Good luck I hope you can find some low cost/free hawg hunts.

8. bojuana

bojuana New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Well I have been hunting this land for the hogs starting march of 06.I hunted every weekend that I was not fishing.This last weekend I arrowed a nice 225lbs boar.I will try to post some pic. as soon as I can.

9. mrc

mrc New Member

State:
    SC
  10. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    What a great story, & what a massive hog! I'd love to get a chance to get something even 1/3 that size! I watched the show on Hogzilla. It was really interesting. But this hog, man, he's just awesome. Maybe they'll post some pictures of that head mount someday. I'd love to see them. Thanks for sharing that.

11. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Good for you! I want to see some pics soon! I've never gotten a hog. We've got some on our deer lease. We see signs of them every year when we start working up the crops for the fall, but by the time we start hunting, they all move out or go into hiding.Our land runs alongside some pasture land with some creek bottoms. My nephew killed a big one years ago, but I didn't get to see it. He's also seen some smaller ones another time. I keep hoping that someday one of them will get stupid enough to wander out while I'm out there....maybe this year??

12. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
  13. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

14. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    You were asking about public land. Try GA. anywhere south of Macon. Killed many there every year. Never hunted for them, just came across them while deer or squirrel hunting.

15. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    You can hunt them for free on Fort Leonard Wood well not for free you still need the state and then the FLW liesens but you can hunt them in National Forest for free. I haven't really heard about a hog problem here anymore but a couple of years ago they where everywhere. Do some checking and see if you can find out.

16. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    If you need a place to stay I can arrange that as well also I can show you where we used to hunt them alot. Now Im not going to promise a hog. I will need notice of when you want to hunt and also I will try and put some bait out (Sour Corn) and see if any come to it. Let me know.

17. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    thers alot of wild hoggs here in oklahoma i want to hunt them too just hard to find a good place no one want people to hunt on there land anymore because people tear stuff up and make messes and just leave it

18. katmandue

katmandue New Member

State:
    Bonne Terre, MO
    I did some searchin for hogs in MO and found that they are pretty spread out. Turman has them and recently had a bit of an explosion of numbers, but not enough to garuantee a kill. Also, Wappapello has hogs all around it and if anybody's interested in the Wappapello hogs, pm me with you email and I'll send a map of where they've been seen and hunted before. Who knows, I might be interested in sharing expenses to get down that way and see what we can pick off.:wink:

19. bojuana

bojuana New Member

State:
    north carolina
    I went again this last weekend and arrowed a 70lb boar, just right for the grill.I had pigs all around me and just shot the first one that walked by.He only went 40 yards and piled up. The other hogs seemed not to know what was going on but as I reached for another arrow they busted me and ran off.I'm going back this weekend and try it again.

20. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Don't Know If You Saw A Pic I Posted Earlier Of A Bar Hog We Killed, Almost 500 Lbs, I Hunt Hogs Every Week Here In Fl.

If Your Ever Down This Way, We'll Take You Out. We Use Dogs & Pocket Knives Only !!

Looking Forward To It, Elliot