hogs

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by net man, Sep 14, 2009.

1. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    do hogs come out in the day time when it gets cold :confused2: because all the pics ihave are at night i dont have a clue :confused2::confused2::confused2:

2. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    They can be seen foraging at anytime. I have seen them morning, noon and night. From what I have learned about them is that they tend to run a large loop, feeding as they go. The loop can be several miles across. I have had the best luck trapping them in the evening and night. But I have seen and killed them in the middle of the day. The good thing about killing them when the weather gets cooler is that you can find someone to smoke the meat for you easier. The last one I killed, I had smoked. And it was god. My wife even liked it.

3. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    what will get them out in day light

4. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    where do you get the traps

5. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Around here there are a lot of people selling live traps. I have seen them at the local Tractor Supply store. You can make one easy enough if you have a place you can set up a few hog panels. Here is a link to a site that shows you how to build one. www.wilcoxwebworks.com/hs/hogtrapdetailedplans.htm

I think that someone with a welder and some angle iron can frame up a portable one in no time and then just close it in with some hog panels. They sell for about 400$ here. I have been thinking of building one of my own. Last year I borrowed one from a friend and caught a bunch. One morning I had 4 in it. Several times I had 2 in it at a time. I baited it up with ears of corn and whole kernel deer corn. I was told that if I killed any in the trap I would have to move it or they would not go back in. Something about the smell of blood. But I didn't and after a couple days of seeing that corn all over the floor of the cage in they would go.

6. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    how big of hog will they hold we seen 4 that will go 300 plus

7. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Hogs that size can be pretty destructive. If you do catch any I would suggest you do not get too close to the trap. They really go ape when you do. It is best to shoot them from a little distance away. The trap I was using would have held several that big. I was lucky because most of the ones I have trapped didn't go that large. I didn't keep any larger that 150. The larger they are the smellier they are. And you don't want to know what a big bore smells like. I was told that even the meat has that smell to it. I want to catch a couple small ones this year and clean and cook them in a pit. I have seen a site or 2 that shows some good ways to fix them.
    Something to be aware of is be humane about trapping them if you do try it. You should check it every day and not leave it out there without checking it. The game laws here in Texas have been amended this year to allow more leniency in hog hunting.

8. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    My deer cams have caught a couple of huge ones. One was a sow and the other a bore. I would not have even attempted to trap one of those. I would have had to had a tractor to pull it out of the trap. And remember those big ones are real nasty. They can rip you up good if you aren't careful.
    On the lease close to mine a man last year shot one from his deer stand. It ran off into the brush and he just figured it was like a deer and would lay down and die somewhere. He climbed down and went looking for it. As soon as he entered the brush it charged him and ripped him from his ankle to the groin. He was lucky and managed to get up a tree. He called his dad from his cell phone and they got him to the hospital. They said it stopped just before gutting him. He was lucky but he still walks with a limp.
    A picture of some good eating size.

Attached Files:

9. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    only difference between a big hog and a smaller 'eater' sized one is this: thie big ones have more pork chops on them. all that smell is on the hide, and yes they do stink. but take and soak the quarters in a cooler with ice water and vinegar, change it every day for four days and you won't want domestic pork ever again. i do my own processing too mind you. i'll bet the in town processors won't take the extra steps... it's a lot of wasted meat when someones shoots a big hog and leaves it because it stinks...

10. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    The meat processor I take mine to told me that. He said the meat was tainted with it. Maybe he just didn't want to mess with one of those bigguns.
    It a shame but it has gotten so bad around here you can't even give one away. When I killed a couple and put them in my freezer I killed a couple more for friends and neighbors. Then I had a couple smoked for sausage and ham. And after a while when I asked anyone if they wanted one I had trapped, the first thing they would ask is, is it processed. Like yea right, I am going to catch it, kill it, process it, then give it away to them free. I don't think so.
    I do wish there was a way to put all that possible meat in the hands of people that need it.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i hear ya robert. we have shelters here with folks stickin their hands out, then you can take a drive to the country and find dead hogs in a bar ditch. people would freak if deer were thrown out like that, but it's acceptable to do it with hogs. a really big boar takes me 45 minutes to skin and quarter. the rest of the carcass goes to my dogs. my two rottweilers will eat the bones up by the next night. the head usually get buried or boiled. the hide goes in the dumpster. for the next 4-6 days, the work is done, except for changing out the ice water and vinegar, and my wife usually does that. then it takes me 5-6 hours to cut the meat off the leg bones and into steaks and chops. then the leg bones go to the dogs. same way as with a deer, yet i am always amazed how many poeple are intimidated to try it. i spend more time vacuum packing meat than i do actually cutting it. it's a breeze once you've done a few. try it on them big boys- a cup of water to each gallon if water, and drain and refill daily. if the meat turns blue or dark purple, decrease or eliminate vinegar. nothing wrong with the meat! hogs feed themselves really good, most are eating acorns or deer corn, and it gives the meat a great flavor!

12. swampratt

swampratt Member

State:
    oklahoma
    I did not quite get the ratio of vinigar to water...One day i will harvest a Hogg...and i agree no hog should go to waste...

I have had pissy tasting farm raised hogs that werent cut and that was not good eating ,,but was filling....even the domestic males could stand a soaking-- i bet

13. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Yeah they will come out at any time>I walked up on a 200# one in the daylite on time with both shot of the other way it was pretty funny.

14. way west

way west New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Hog hunting is on my short list of things I would like to do. It sounds like Texas is the best bet. Is it hard to find places to hunt down there?

15. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Robert, I agree about being careful around those traps. A friend of our had some penned up last year out in the woods. He went out to pour some water, knelt down beside the outside of the pen & one of the charged hard enough that it rocked that whole pen! They definitely try to "get ya"!:crazy:
    We did have a guy that we know who had taken a hog, had it processed, & then couldn't afford to pick it up. He offered it to us, & we were more than willing to go pay & pick it up. I can't believe how some folks are. We've always been real lucky. We have some friends who don't care to hunt, but they tell us "If you get an extra one, drop it off at the processors & let us know & we'll pay & pick it up". I like those kind of folks, because.....I get to hunt that much more & not worry about any meat going to waste!:wink:

16. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Roxie is that your deer stand you are standing in front of? I like it. :big_smile::big_smile:
    I did some reading online about wild hogs way before I trapped any. I don't know what the answer is to them. I don't think anyone does. They are in the middle of a population explosion. I remember as a kid hunting with my dad and grand dad. We might see some ground that had been torn up once we were way back into the woods. It was only occasionally. Now you can see ground torn up in neighborhoods and even some town lots that border a wood line. I did some wiring for a lady early this year. The third day I showed up at her house the yard had been torn up like someone had tilled it up. It was a big yard too! She said they were visited in the night buy about 30 wild hogs. They didn't hear them because they had a window a/c unit in the bedroom window. Her yard was totally destroyed in that one night. Her husband used it as an excuse to get a new rifle.
    All the hogs I have trapped and killed I did so only after I found them a nice cool home to go to. I have been told by a game warden that if I kill a big one just drag it off somewhere. I think they know that there is no good end in sight. In 2 years a female can be responsible for a ton of hogs. They can breed at 6 mos old and in 115 days can produce uo to 12 young but normally only 4 to 6. They can have 2 litters a year but normally only 1. In 2 years time that can amount to a lot of hogs running around all eating tearing up ground and making more little hogs. They are normally herbivores but if times are tuff they will become omnivores. They compete with our deer and squirrels and all wild game for food. They will destroy quail nest and eat the eggs. Just about anything they find. In my opinion everyone should put one in their freezer.
    Sorry, I just don't think most people know all the facts. You being a hunter I know you have seen them and know what I am talking about. Ok, I will shut up now.

17. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Yep, it's my new deer stand. It started out as a joke. My husband found some pink primer paint on sale. He brought it home & said we could us it to prime coat the stands with, then paint over it with greens, browns, etc. Well, I opened the can, took one look, & said..."Can I just leave mine pink?" He said he sure didn't care; it was my stand. So, I painted it pink, then when 2 of my grandkids came over, I had painted the "trees" on it. I gave them each a brush; gave one of them red paint, & one green paint, & told them to "paint me some leaves". We had a ball, & I think it's something they'll always remember.Once it was finished, we realized it looked more like a Rose Garden, than leaves. Oh well; we live right on a main highway, & we've already had alot of comments on it!!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2009
  18. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Tonight, there was a program on the discovery channel, called "Pig bomb".
    It told of the ferral hog population problem in this country. An estimated 6 million ferral hogs out there, and from the way they reproduce, they'll be a major problem of imense proportion in no time.

We're seeing more and more every year in this area of S/E NC.

If you travel down I-95, in central Fl, keep an eye out south of Daytona. There's a good population of them living within the north and south bound highway, in the woods there. I've seen them.

Fl, as with most of the S/E states has a ferral hog problem. Due to the trapping and transporting of these hogs to other areas, the problem has spread.

I've done my share of trapping hogs in east central Fl, hunted them with rifle, and seen them trapped on a ranch there, just for the transporting and sale to folks in other states.

Kennedy space Center is over run with the things. It's nothing to see several every day, when I worked there, or see them along the shore line, while fishing around there.

Don't be too upset to see a pile of dead hogs thrown away, it's probably a farmer/rancher, just trying to survive, and losing the battle.

19. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Thanks Bob; I hate I missed that show. I've seen one before, & it talks about how quickly a pig can become feral; in just a matter of weeks! You can bet, if I get half a chance, I'll sure do MY part to put some in the freezer!:wink:

20. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    sorry about that! i don't get much sleep. the ratio is one cup vinegar to each gallon of water. :roll_eyes: