Hogs on ultra light

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bluesbrother, Aug 29, 2006.

1. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    my friend just caught a huge 26 pound blue cat on a ultralight underspin zebco them things are built like a tank. im sold im getting one ............yeeehaaaaaa:0a26:

2. ayokay005

ayokay005 New Member

State:
    Maryland
    my old man loves to catch fish that are a lil too big for the poles theyre being caught on! Ive done it too, its fun!!:lol:

3. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Ultralights are a blast!! I have a Browning UL spinning reel and a 5' pflueger UL rod spooled with 4 lb test crappie line. I caught a 8 lb 10 oz channel cat on it. Talk about a fight!!

4. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I love to fish with a utla light they are fun:cool2:

5. powercat

powercat New Member

State:
    Olathe,Ks/Fish Gravois Mi
    I started fishing for blues this spring and went out and bought large catfish rigs. I find myself reeling in 3 to 6# fish with a block and tackle, I am going back to lighter rods and reels and hope that if I catch a large blue that the 30# line and a descent reel will be large enough. It certanly will be more exciting.

6. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    I fish UL for cats all the time... makes 1 lbers feel large, the 4 lber feel huge and any brute feel like a world record...

I would love to catch one around 20 lbs on my ultra light and know i can do it... just need the time and the place... usually its in a tourny that we are out on the potomac (best place to get a 20 around here) and i don't want to risk loosing a fish during it... If i can get out there when i don't have a tournament (maybe able to) and we have time I will go for them...

just curious how long did it take to bring that fish in? the 26 lber... and what test line? 4, 6, 2?

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    I end up catching cats on my perch rods a lot of times when I am out. They are not UL rigs, but the 8 pound line and light rods still make it mroe of a challenge than the bigger rigs.

I wish that the UL rigs could take the abuse of trolling and casting into shallow cover and I would use them more.

8. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    What kind of bait do you "Hog" fishermen use?:roll_eyes: Acorns,Corncobs,sourmash,grain,leftovers? Are Kahles better for using acorns than circles?Do you just cast out into the pen and leave it or do you reel slowly kinda like drift fishing?What kind of net do you use?:big_smile: :lol: I catch some really interesting fish while fishing for white perch at Santee.10lb blue is the biggest so far which is fun on a little itty bitty spinning rod and #6 gold hooks.One of the guides told me a party of three women he had made him QUIT fishing for catfish and take them back to the canal so they could catch more white perch because it was more fun!!!!!!!:roll_eyes: :big_smile: :lol:

9. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    i have the same rig you are talking about. I have caught several channel cat around 7 to 10 lbs while fishing for perch for bait. Have had more than a couple break off too.

As for the lighter tackle opinion above, I agree whole heartedly. My favorite rig to catch all sizes of cats is a 7' Rhino Rod, and a Zebco 808 spooled with 20 or maybe 30 lb test. I fish with these rods about 90% of the time. I have a set of the Bass Pro Cat Maxx rods, but they are just not very fun to catch average size fish on, and I have yet to catch a fish over 20# with them.:sad2: You have to be careful when you set the hook with those rods.........you can rip their dentures out if you are not careful!:lol:

10. truckin4x4

truckin4x4 New Member

State:
    columbus, Ohio
    yeah i like the fight that you get with them

11. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    last year we were targeting 30 plus pound fish on 6 pound test we didnt get any in the boat but we sure did have fun trying

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I use basically that same reel without the underspin arm, a Zebco 11, for perch and crappie fishing. I’ve managed a few drum and catfish in the 10lb range on it without problems, and I've lost some, too.

One day the 11 was acting up, so I switched to my Zebco 733 (20lb test) instead. Well I caught a few goldeye and white bass, and then BOOM, something really big took it under. After a back and forth fight that I thought was headed the other way at times, I landed a 42” flathead, probably about 40lbs. I don’t know exactly because I don’t take a scale when I go bait fishing, lol. I was impressed at how well the drag worked on the thing.

I think that some of the Zebco reels are pretty good quality and design. The 11, 33, 733, 808, and 888’s are for sure. The 22, 202, and 404 are not so good, in my limited experience.

13. bluesbrother

bluesbrother New Member

State:
    texas
    amen to that its like more challanging and plus you get to have a chance to break a record on ultra light gear

14. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Gary, I hear ya about the 733! I graduated my son to the 733 from the 33 classic a couple of years ago. The drag is smooth, easy for him to set himself, and the reel is pretty much bullet proof. I will graduate him to 808 here pretty soon, and pass the 733's down to my daughter. I like the 888 too, if they would just put the double handle on them, like the 808.

15. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Jeff

That's funny that you like the double handle. People pay good money to add a handle similar to what comes on the 888's to their smaller Abu baitcasters. It seems to be what most folks prefer. But I'm like you, I'd rather have the double handle on both my Zebco's and on my Abu's. It just feels a little more natural.

One thing about the 733 that I much prefer over any of the 8xx series is that it stays together when you remove the front cover. If you aren't careful with an 888, you end up picking the innards up out of the sand.

16. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    YES! Same with the 808, pisses me off every time! Another reason the 733 is good for kids, you really have to work to do anything to mess them up. As for the handles, I find myself fumbling around with the single handle on the 888, the one thing I do like about the triple 8 is the handle drag system, much easier to adjust on the fly than the dial on the 808.

17. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I have caught a number of 10# + channel cats on a variety of Zebco 33s and my Zebco 20/20. I use 8 # line, gold aberdeen hooks and 12' crappie rods.
    I like my Zebco 888s much better than my 808. Either will handle a 20# channel. It is almost too easy with them.

18. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ultralights are a blast in open water, they just dont cut it around cover though. But there still fun.