hog ?

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by net man, Sep 7, 2009.

1. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    me and my hunting buddy was in the woods and seen a tree that was scraped up i thought was made by a deer but he said he thought it was made by a hog :confused2: so can any one help but i dont think it was a hog

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009
  2. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    i need a few more details about what the tree looked like and what not before myself or most of us can help you. i know hogs will scratch their tusks on trees....

3. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    it was rapped around the tree not just on one side and about 2 foot high

4. countryboy79

countryboy79 New Member

State:
    nc
    Is it just a lil early for deer to be scraping trees? Every buck that i have seen around here lately still have full velvet. I cud be wrong tho !

5. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    its in SC york and chester county

6. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Wild Hogs will rub on saplings about 2ft high. Look around a mud hole or water hole, you can usually see mud rubs on just about every tree around it. I think the mud itches them and they scratch it off as it dries. It is a good way they keep ticks and things off them too.

7. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    the bark was scaped off with gashes in it

8. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    How big around was the trees?

9. net man

net man New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    about 4 inch

10. etexun

etexun New Member

State:
    Texas (Nea
    Without seeing it and looking at the ground around it I tend to think it was a deer, like you.
    All the markings I have seen by hogs were to rubs against them. Not as you say stripping and cutting into it.

11. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have watched boars cut up tree bark. 2 ft high sounds about right. i hunt a spot on the red river where i have watched boars scrape their tusks against a telephone pole, but most of the area is smooth from their rubbing on it. they will put the side of their head against the tree and rub it up and down for a while. i don't know what they are doing. scratching i guess. i have seen hogs pop their jaws when agitated or wounded and approached, and that is what sharpens the tusks as far as i know. most deer rubs i have seen have been 3 ft or higher, but there's always the exception. out here, some of the bucks are in full velvet, but i have already seen a few with all the velvet scraped off. on some of them the antlers are already white. hope this helps!