Hog Wild Original

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by LakeHoustoncatkiller, Mar 7, 2008.

1. LakeHoustoncatkiller

LakeHoustoncatkiller New Member

State:
    TX
    Today when I stopped by Wally world they had the Hog Wild Original dip bait on sale for 0.40 :0a5: I picked up a can of the orange. Anybody had any luck on it?:0a36:

2. catfishsolich

catfishsolich New Member

State:
    kentucky,metcalfe county
    i bought some at walmart and never had a bite on the stuff. Then i won some on here last summer and i tore up the channels on it. i noticed the bait that was shipped direct was alot fresher the stuff from walmart looked old and was alot thicker it had probably been there for too long. I guess just try it and see what happens, chris

3. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    I lived on a small lake from 98-05. The lake had some really nice sized channel cats most caught were citation class or better for N.C. regs. The cats were real fond of dip baits, I tried most all the dip baits that I could on them. And the Hog Wild did very poor followed by Sonny's that also performed poorly. But the Hog Wild was for sure was the lowest producing dip bait that I tried. Doc's dip bait was the best not only there but at the river close by. Catfish Charlies and Cat Tracker baits also performed well. Wish you luck with the stuff but would have to recommend that you should take along some backup bait! Good luck and let us know what you think about the bait.

4. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    I use dip stink baits all the time for channel cats. My experience with the HOG WILD was less than impressive. Sonny's, Catfish Charlie and Cat Tracker are my favorites. I use the tubie worms made by Cat Tracker and have excellent success with them. The trick in using stink bait is the consistency of the stuff. Too soft try a little flour to stiffen it up. Too hard use a little water or cooking oil to get the right consistency. The worms have to be dry to make the bait stick properly. Then when I get a go gob of the bait on the worm, I will dip the worm in the water before casting. This locks the bait on the worm and helps keep the stuff from slinging off when casting. I usually have 5 to 6 worms ready on leaders so I can change one out right away. I give the bait a good 15 to 20 minutes in the water before reeling in and changing to another one with the bait. I always use trebles on leaders with the worm when using the stink bait. This helps my catch ratio alot more than the single hook.

:0a26:

Mark..

5. Quint

Quint New Member

State:
    N.C.
    You can also loosen the bait by warming it up for ex. set out in the sun. Or stiffen it by cooling it down for ex. put it in the cooler. Like using the flower to stiffen you can use some of Cat Tracker additive to do the same and also change or enhance the flavor of the bait. You can also add a little cooking oil to loosen the bait. Be sure to stir the bait often and use clean dry worms to re-bait every time this can be achieved with a dry towel or paper towel or a good circle swing and sun light after the worm is washed out and dried. Also with me the Cat Tracker tubie 2000 is the best worm I've tried and does work well for me with the single hook, it makes unhooking a-lot easier and improves health concerns for release fish. Stiffness required can very quite a bit due to water temp and current flow, when my baits are the perfect consistency for the conditions their good for 45min until re-bait. And dip your baits in the water like bownero said before you cast. Also store your dip baits in the fridge if your wife will allow for freshness.

6. dust777man

dust777man New Member

State:
    SC
    I have had some success with Hog Wild Original.

7. loop

loop New Member

State:
    Newkirk,Oklahom
    Bottom line you just have to try it.
    What works for some may not for others.
    Example I can take it to the place I useually fish and have poor results but take it to another river 10 miles away and have good results.
    Different waters and eating habits of the fish can change your results.
    Thats my story and I'm sticking to it!
    Loop

8. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    My dad has some pretty good luck with it.

9. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    I never used it but I'll try anything.

10. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi folkes, here is a trick I picked up a while back; try pouring a 1/4 of a can of Coor's light to your hog wild. I have had better results with beer than with out but as Darrell said, each body of watr is diffrent.

Jaime

11. Ryan11r

Ryan11r New Member

State:
    Newton Kansas
    Hog Wild is my go to bait for eater size fish. I do like the blood a little better. What i like about it is how thin it is I think the stuff washing out of the bait holder helps draw in the fish. I have heard others say they cant catch fish with it. I cant catch fish with shad but yet everyone around here does really well with cut shad.