Hog Trap

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by randallewis, Nov 2, 2008.

1. randallewis

randallewis New Member

State:
    Louisiana --Shreveport
    Anyone have instructions w/ dimensions for building a continuous catch hog trap?

2. Poppa

Poppa New Member

State:
    Pinson, Al
    I have never built a hog trap myself but I have seen a lot of traps and helped
    people get the hogs out of their traps. I do not know what you mean by
    continuous trap. The traps I have seen are made out of fence pannels. They
    use pannels about 4 ft. high. They use 3/4 plywood for the door. Posts are
    set with hole diggers for the door. The size is what ever you wish most of
    the time 4 x 16 or 8 x 8 because of the size of the pannels. The door is
    rigged simular to the old rabbit boxes you used as a kid. A trigger is connected
    to the door with a cable or wire rope. When the trigger is sprung the door
    falls trapping the hogs. You put out corn for several days in and around the
    trap. When the hogs start feeding regularly on the corn and going in and out
    of the trap you put out more corn mostly in the trap and set the trigger.
    I hope this helps.

3. jsharper

jsharper New Member

State:
    TX
    OK, I will try. Draw a 9 on a piece of paper, now erase half the stem. This is what this trap looks like from above. Use 3 cattle panels and T- posts set about 3 ft apart. Leave the end of the panel that touches the stem of the 9 where it is not too tight, but will touch the panel. Wire that open until the hogs are feeding well, then let it loose. It will now touch, the hogs will push it open and stay inside, I would use 60" panels unless this is going around a deer feeder, then go with 42".

There are several types of headgates that can be used and pens can be built behind them. I like the rooter gate that the hogs push up and it closes behind them.

When you aproach a hog trap, park away from it and look for hogs that are not caught, they sometimes stay in the area when there are some in the trap.

Hope this helps.

Jim

4. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
  5. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
  6. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Just one man's opinion but i hope you catch and kill every hog in the woods. I enjoy hunting them but also know how fast they populate and the damage that results.

7. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    We do not have Hogs in any of the areas that I hunt. I would love to find somewhere within a 6 or 8 hour drive time that had a huntable population and some private land to hunt on. Have always wanted to hunt the critters.