Hog snaring

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by TX Fisherman, Sep 12, 2007.

1. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    you can make em, i just want to know if anyone has tried this? and if u did what did you use to anchor your snare?

2. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Everytime you post you remind me of myself when I was that age!!! My mind was always thinking which usually got me a trip to the shed !!! I had a wolverine get in one of my snares one time and that is about as close as I want!! good luck to you!!! Keep on posting!!!

3. Katmandeux

Katmandeux New Member

State:
    Checotah, Oklahoma
    Do it, Kevin, do it!!!!!

I really, really want to read this story.:smile2:

4. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    I've never used snares, Kevin, although I know a guy that used one to catch a deer years ago, coming into his garden. Let us know how it goes if you decide to try them.
    When I was in high school, we used to build corral type traps down in Santee swamp, from saplings we cut. Baited with soured oats and corn to catch them alive. Those swamp hogs eat much better after they're taken home and fed corn for a couple weeks or more.

5. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Well if ya were were there were some trees I'd say that would be a safe bet if not a anvil might work. Some of those porkers are strong. Keep me posted!!

6. lroyal

lroyal New Member

State:
    Georgia
    hey man come on over to ga and we'll try it. sounds like fun to me.

7. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    the willow city store makes and sells them they are not expensive and he will ship them. they do work. if you call willow city ask for pat. the ranch i hunt on in sonora uses them.

8. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Are you pullin our leg? They sell hog snares?

9. baitchunker

baitchunker New Member

State:
    alabama
    never tried snares but we have used traps. a good hawg can ruin a stainless steel trap. i would make sure to tie the anchor as high up as you can in a tree if you can. i have seen big boars "cuttin" trees above my belt line and i am 6'4.

10. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    yep they make hog snares, big strong snares, like someone said not to expensive, i just needed somethin strong to anchor em, i gonna try it out as soon as i get into some hog country again, ill let yall know how it goes!

11. jlingle

jlingle New Member

State:
    Altus, Okl
    Kevin, if you are gonna run some snares, make sure you put them in places where they will catch ONLY hogs. Well, as best as you can anyway. The only trouble with snares is that they don't discriminate on what they catch. Hogs, deer, the neighbors dog..... they can all find their way into a snare. You are gonna want to get a catch pole as well, so if you do catch an unintended animal, you can safely hold it and release it. Catch poles aren't expensive, you can get them on ebay for about $20. They probably sell hog snares on ebay as well.

If I were you & had a bunch of hogs, I'd just build a hog trap. It's just as much fun, a little bit more expensive to build, but you can catch the hogs and do with them what you please... sell 'em alive, kill 'em & cook 'em.... whatever. It's kinda hard to sell a hog that's been snared, their snouts are usually trashed. Do whatever you want, it sounds like a lotta fun.

Just a thought.

12. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    yeah ive run snares before, the snares i use have deer stops, and i ordered a catch pole, its on the way (i snare racoons and coyotes and bobcats, i got the catch pole i ordered cause as you know coyotes are the same size and i know someday ill run upon a domestic dog, but thanks!!!

13. TX Fisherman

TX Fisherman New Member

State:
    Texas
    o and i got some strectchers on the way, or what ever there name is, (the thing you use to dry out the fur)

14. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Wood or Wire? for what?

15. Luke Clayton

Luke Clayton New Member

State:
    Texas
    Kevin, Just a word of caution from an old hunter... Be very VERY careful about where you set snares big enough to catch hogs. If they will catch a hog, they will catch deer, dogs, maybe even calves... Make sure you have landowner permission before setting snares. As you know, snares are not particular about what they tighten up on. It's one thing to set snares under holes in fences for coyotes and bob cats but a snare that will catch a 200 pound hog will also have a big enought loop to catch other like size ritters... some that you might now wish to walk up on and see! Get my drift? Have fun but be careful! Luke Clayton

16. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Geogia had open range the first 10 years of my life.This is what I was taught by the stockmen who lived with it along with personal experance as this was a comunity thing. The reason that snares are not very popular with hogs are that a drove of hogs will very often kill and eat a snared or wounded hog.They may also attack anything approaching that wounded hog when he squeals.Back in free range days,hogs that would kill and eat other hogs,cows,horses,mules and even people were not that all uncommon and had to be hunted and destroyed.The later part of a hard winter was the worst time for this,but once they learn to like the taste they want more just as we do_Others quickly learn from the leftovers and once it gets started,it is hard to stop.The slickest chicken thief that I ever saw was a 300 lb.gone wild sow.She would sneak in at daylight if the wind was right so the dogs would not smell her and casually ease around until the chicken was close enough.Zip!Off to the woods with a chicken that never even squawked!We watched and saw her twice as no one would believe me the first time.The chickens would not have been off the roost but 5-10 minutes and she had one.Grandma had a old sow that would ease around and work a chicken into a fence corner and Blam!Hogs can think and figure until they panic.Also a hog in a snare can attract excited hogs that will attack you.Please take a dog or two along and treat the situation as if it will be a Bear.The situation can be just as dangerous.You are considering something that can very easily get you killed and start cannibalism and killing for meat among your local hogs.Hogs can be a fearsome predator once they get a taste for flesh and learn how to obtain it.Hogs are just as different and can be just as dangerous as some people.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

17. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Peewee, growing up we never needed a rendering truck. Something died, horse, cow, chickens all went to the hog lot. They would clean a carcass up in no time. To this day I can remember my Dad carrying a hammer on his belt in the hog lot and he made us do the same. Pray to God you never went down or couldn't beat 'em off with a hammer to the snout or you where gone like piranhas eat something in a river.

18. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    John you must of been brave!!! A hammer? We carried a ball bat!!! And when we used to farrow sows under a A-frame in the pasture dad carried a shotgun!! Thank god we went to farrowing stalls but being a ornery kid I use to grab a little pig to make it squeal!! The whole barn would go nuts with sounds that would make your hair stand on end!! But the best fight I ever witnessed was a poland china sow that took on 2 brush wolves!!! The first piglet lost its life squealing but that sow ripped the crap out of those mangy wolves and it didnt last long either.

19. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    hey kevin just use a tree. not a mesquite or something like that, but one with a diameter at least 6". good luck buddy i hope you get some, and be safe!

20. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Every one in Georgia did as you did after the fence laws,with penned up hogs.You didn't have to worry about them learning to eat your cow or mule like you did with Free Range stock all mixed".Some folks was accused of getting rid of disliked people this way.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee