hog mixing

Discussion in 'Hog Hunting' started by bw69r, Mar 26, 2009.

1. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    there was a show on the other night (can't remember what channel) that was about how alot of the american feral hogs are mixing with european and russian hogs. mostly because of people importing them in and letting them go. had some fellas from georgia catching some and taking hair samples so the genetics could be tested. some of the ones they caught had the looks of russians and europeans. what do you folks think of them mixin like that? good thing or bad thing.

2. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    This is just a guess, but I think in the case of european hogs, you will end up with a pig with longer hair, longer tusks, but less meat on the body,(lean animal). I have a hunting lodge in Argentina. A duck guide that works for me raises European Boar that he sells to ranchers wanting to stock their places so they can sell hunts. My buddy sells the males and the price is according to how long the tusk is. Females are sold by weight and age.. Those rascals grow a long tusk if allowed to grow up.

3. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Here in Texas you will rarely see a pure bred russian in the wild unless you are hunting a high fence ranch that has them in stock. You will see alot of ferral hogs that will show alot of russian or euro genes, like the broad shoulders, bushy main, long snouts, and bushy tale. But they are still just considered ferral hogs here. You will normally see bigger tusks on them depending on were you are located as far as soil type. In my experince the places with alot of top soil will allow the hogs to grow bigger cutters then the places that have a sandy soil. The sand tends to were the cutters down alot more.

4. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    The biggest thing that the special was talking about was the fact that the Russians and some breeds of the Euro were aggressive, Mixing them in with the American wild/domestic stock could result in a 2000+ 4-5 ft tall hogs that are VERY aggressive and would actually be actively seeking (Read that as Hunting) food sources. A pig that large trying to get into a house for food would not be slowed down much at all by the building itself.

5. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    Got you. I had missed the show itself cuz I was working. This is true. Given the general mean as a rattle snake behavior of some of the russian and euro breeds. Although I think the size is a little over estimated. The damage that the continuing growing population of wild hogs is doing here in Texas to land, crops, and property is devastating to say the least.

6. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    They were using the extreme examples like Hogzilla and some mammoth sized domestics like Big Norm (8+ feet long and 1600lbs) showing how a HUGE wild/domestic cross is feasible. The one thing they also did not address completely is IF something that large ever existed it would need a readily available food source. This would put it in close proximity to people as it would need either access to livestock feed or crop land to keep up it's existence.